Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Tunnel open for passengers tomorrow

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

it absolutely does justify it. cork is the "premium" service in the ROI so it will get special privelages other services won't.

Do people commute daily from Cork? probably not. Do people commute from Athlone/Carlow/Portlaoise/Athy etc.? they do indeed in large numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

cgcsb wrote: »
    Do people commute daily from Cork? probably not. Do people commute from Athlone/Carlow/Portlaoise/Athy etc.? they do indeed in large numbers.
    maybe people do commute from cork.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    how do they know, why don't they try it, then if it doesn't work remove it. they are the only operator on the rail network so its up to them to actually bother to find custom and even try different services out. go on irish rail, be daring for once, yeah i know pigs will fly.

People are not going to use a train just because it gets them a few km closer to the city and as we frequently see here about how much it already costs to go to Cork are people going to pay another few euro for the pleasure of going underground for a few km into Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Wha ?

What a spoiler of an argument . I am talking about putting on a few test intercity trains at a time to see if there is demand, when there are clear outbound paths , for example the 0700 , 1100 outbound. You are going on about commuter trains which is a different pattern of service ( don't get me wrong they're needed too but its a different service plan that just happens to coincide with wanting to run choo choo through the busiest choke points on the network ).

And "suits" need service, both commuter and intercity so I am not sure what your point, without service experimentation we will never know.

And the more convenient the service the more people will use it. I need to go to Cork fairly frequently for business and I would be overjoyed to see an 0700 from GCD to Ceannt. ( Or indeed any train service to Cork from Dublin that got in before 0900 but thats a different argument )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,104 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

trellheim wrote: »
    Wha ?

What a spoiler of an argument . I am talking about putting on a few test intercity trains at a time to see if there is demand, when there are clear outbound paths , for example the 0700 , 1100 outbound. You are going on about commuter trains which is a different pattern of service ( don't get me wrong they're needed too but its a different service plan that just happens to coincide with wanting to run choo choo through the busiest choke points on the network ).

And "suits" need service, both commuter and intercity so I am not sure what your point, without service experimentation we will never know.

And the more convenient the service the more people will use it. I need to go to Cork fairly frequently for business and I would be overjoyed to see an 0700 from GCD to Kent. ( Or indeed any train service to Cork from Dublin that got in before 0900 but thats a different argument )

I agree. GCD to Kent could be worth a punt alright on certain services. Its taken donkeys years to get the powers that be to realise the potential of the PPT regardless of DU. All the crap that was spun has been torn to shreads. All the contradictions from successive CEOs in IE have been exposed.

All it took was a conviction, a few quid for signalling and GCD. Delighted its happening and could never understand all the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ceannt is Galway... Bit out of the way for Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

For a start a Mk4 won't fit in Drumcondra, GCD, or Pearse or Tara and only will fit in platforms 2, 4 & 5 in Connolly. There is no way to get around that, would require 1 extra train set to fit in the hourly service.

We would be much better off starting with commuter Hazelhatch - Platform 10 - Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara, Pearse, GCD

For a start a Mk4 won't fit in Drumcondra, GCD, or Pearse or Tara and only will fit in platforms 2, 4 & 5 in Connolly. There is no way to get around that, would require 1 extra train set to fit in the hourly service.
    Right Doesn't have to be a MK4. No problem putting a DMU on it though. Plenty of DMUs going Dublin-Cork runs.

Commuter won't fly without detailed investigation of pathings in the peak, and we'll end up waiting on lots of other improvements. This is something that can be tried immediately. and as I said above - my concept is around avoiding the peak to try.

OK - let's look at commuter pathings. did you read the NTA report - what priorities would you give to get trains through Connolly and across the bridge in the morning peak ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The third platform in Grand Canal Dock will allow some Maynooth/Drogheda service to terminate in Grand Canal Dock instead of Pearse thus eliminating the delays as trains shunt around currently

The plans are to run some commuter trains around towards Grand Canal Dock from the Kildare route once the signalling is in place.

Net result, no platform is available as it is capacity already allocated in plans for other services

No. I said ignore pathing problems; this will not get in the way of commuter services. It is down to will to execute and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They can use reduced the size of Mk4s sets anyway. As it is they run in 7 and 8 piece sets to Cork. Not all Mk4 sets are in use every day anyway. Nothing stopping it being a 7 piece plus a 201 will fit in any platform at Connolly except p1 and will fit in Tara, Pearse and GCD just fine.

Advertisement