Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ News

Options
  • 09-12-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Anyone know if RTÉ would ever consider outting more effort into the RTÉ news channel and making it live instead of re-running the latest news bullitens? I know there is an arguement that there might not be enough news in Ireland to keep a live station going but combined with world news, world sports etc I think there would be.

Im sick of seeing SKY news (although a great nes channel) in receptions/lobbys etc around the country. Would rather see Irish news

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

Yeah, yeah, yeah – that's exactly what we need to spend license payer's money on. Not invest it in young drama/comedy writers or fresh documentery makers, but waste it on television for the brain dead like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pat Carey, after the election iirc on his last day in office, gave the official go ahead for the RTE News Now station on saorview, but said they couldn't have advertising. In the current climate, it's hard to see them putting much more into the station in those circumstances.

Personally, I think it could be the basis of an International service. It already has Current Affairs content such as Prime Time, Week in Politics and (the pathetic) Frontline. Add in Nationwide, Ear to the Ground and Capital D, and it wouldn't be a bad station for the diaspora looking to stay in touch and should avoid rights issues that would prevent it going FTA in europe. However, it'd still come down to who's paying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm sick of seeing SKY news (although a great nes channel)

And that one sentence you just laid ruin to your argument, it's an awful awful station.

Isn't there a financial reason why you see Sky News everywhere, something to do with Sky allowing it to be broadcast for free in public places hence being sick of the sight of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Bet you watch it though!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Never, I want news that's factual and accurate, not the televised version of the Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

RTE News Now is on digital and repeat the latest news broadcast every hour, so it is effectively our own version of Sky News..

Advertisement