Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ NewChannels i would like to see?

• 09-07-2003 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭

RTÉ NEWS 24
    RTÉ Sport ( these two could be one channel any time there is no sport the news could be on)
    RTÉ Kids

The schedule are always been upset because of sport and RTE never give the big news stories the time because of lack of time.

I enjoy sport but when you see sport being shown on two channels like last sunday (F1 and GAA) its getting a bit much.

The kids channel would replace everything on N2 before 6pm.That would leave lots more free time in the day to have more culute program and other stuff needed but not shown.

Lets leave out the shambles the finances are in at the moment and dream a little.

So would you agree?

RTÉ Needs new channels? 7 votes

Agree
    0% 0 votes
    Disagree
    85% 6 votes
    Dream On! (RTÉ could not organise a piss up in a brewery)
    14% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i would definately agree about a news channel. i would like to see Irish news at any time i felt like it. all the 24 hour news channels cover UK, US and international news, nothing for us :( but it wont happen for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

With [hopefully] RTÉ planning to go digital terrestial in the enar future it would give them the option to have more channels. It would be good for RTÉ to have a Kids channel anywhy, most of Network2 is at the moment just kids. A Sport channel might make RTÉ more involved in Irish sports and youth sports in Ireland giving more coverage.

Though for a News Channel im not too sure. Would people really choose a RTÉ News24 over BBC or Sky? I really doubt it with the class of RTÉ news presenters. There just not the kind of people you wanna see all day long ;) .. honestly though its a good idea but would be better if they gave more bullietins more regulary on RTÉ One and Network 2.

I do feel it would force/make RTÉ more involved in makin the programs people want to see and not what they think people want to see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by Winters
    With [hopefully] RTÉ planning to go digital terrestial in the enar future it would give them the option to have more channels.
    They've been planning that for nearly 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

LOL RtE couldnt poll enough money together to even think about new channels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

its true, rte is so broke that they cant even commission new irish based productions. i would love a news channel though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTE 1
    N2
    RTE 2 (An arts channel like bbc4)
    Mono (A muiltcultural channel that looks at all cultures in Irish Socity)
    The Den
    Cubs Den (Like CBeebies)
    ID (Like BBC3)
    RTE News
    RTE Sport

However RTE would have to develop their 2 main stations more so then their extra digital ones.

Now Whos dreaming.

TV3
    TV4 (Like ITV2)
    TV3 Sport
    TV3 Movies
    TV3 Music

TG4
    Cula 4
    Nuacht TG4 (International News, including Nuacht TG4 and EuroNews, agus Dail Beo)
    Scannan TG4
    Sport TG4

I have thought about this a little too much.

Also Investment would have to be mainly towards TV3 and TG4.
    LOL RtE couldnt poll enough money together to even think about new channels!

Like everything in this country, they have probable spent more money talk and thinking about the new channels which originally probable cost maybe 30Mil it now of course prob costs them 300Mil.
    Would people really choose a RTÉ News24 over BBC or Sky?

People who live in this country and who want to know what the government is doing, or when something of importance happens that we get those story. Did Sky even mention The special Olympics? I think if the Budget/Election coverage on RTE and on TG4 is anything to go by then RTE can have an excellent News Channel. And I think if we listen to people who go on about how good British TV is we would never have Irish TV, maybe not our freedom. And we should have the freedom to choose Irish TV if we so please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't like the fact that anytime i turn on my tv that i'll have ann doyle there 24 hours a day or close enuff.

see no reason why not to have a kiddies channel just stick kevo on it and i'd watch it, god is he owned by Rte

Some how i dont think anne doyle would be willing to read the news for 24hrs non stop.

They have other news presenters, who are very good.IMO. Dont say their bad the read the f ckin news. Some of their news readers have ended up on BBC 24, Sky and CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Anything they do will cost us more money as they'll want to increase the licence fee, AGAIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I would not mind looking at Sharon 24hrs a day.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I would not mind looking at Sharon 24hrs a day.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Elmo
    RTE 1
    N2
    The Den
    Cubs Den (Like CBeebies)
    ID (Like BBC3)
    RTE News
    RTE Sport

I would say that would be WAY to many channels for RTÉ to handle. I believe it would only be about 4 or 5 stations at the most:

- RTÉ 1
    - The Den/ID (Den in morning till about 6 then from 6 onwards its I.D, this would really replace Network2 if anything)
    - RTÉ Sport (Would make RTÉ support more national and local sports insted of just sticking to the international stuff and GAA)
    - RTÉ News (Irish 24hr news channel. Less Anne Doyle for the good of the economy too)

So i have it down to 4 channels. Anything more and RTÉ would really be over stretched i think. Also i think new mamagement might be a good idea :)

Well my plans are laid down like so

RTE 1 would become 100% irish i.e. no imports.

N2 would had've 100% irish programmes from 7 to 10 plus news

The Den would reamain as is but would be put on a digi channel of its own.

Cubs Den would be on for 3hrs in the morning and afternoon. No
    Adds. Exchequer Funded.

Mono would be on for 3hrs at night with a small amount of Irish progamming with news in non-european lanuages 1hr, and one mag show per day

RTE 2 would take much of its programming from outside Ireland with special shows for irish artist and the music group which RTE already controll 3hrs per day

RTE News would be a 16hr day as RTE dont want a full time 24hr station anyway

RTE Sport well they have lots of sports that they dont show plus everything you said.

And ID would go out for 3hrs from 6 to 9 with a music during the hours their not on.

I wouldn't expcect RTE to go over board with their digital channels but they would be providing a choice.

Wishing here. PG

Well my plans are laid down like so

RTE 1 would become 100% irish i.e. no imports.

N2 would had've 100% irish programmes from 7 to 10 plus news

The Den would reamain as is but would be put on a digi channel of its own.

Cubs Den would be on for 3hrs in the morning and afternoon. No
    Adds. Exchequer Funded.

Mono would be on for 3hrs at night with a small amount of Irish progamming with news in non-european lanuages 1hr, and one mag show per day

RTE 2 would take much of its programming from outside Ireland with special shows for irish artist and the music group which RTE already controll 3hrs per day

RTE News would be a 16hr day as RTE dont want a full time 24hr station anyway

RTE Sport well they have lots of sports that they dont show plus everything you said.

And ID would go out for 3hrs from 6 to 9 with a music during the hours their not on.

I wouldn't expcect RTE to go over board with their digital channels but they would be providing a choice.

Wishing here. PG

Keep dreaming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

RTE 1
    N2
    The Den
    Cubs Den (Like CBeebies)
    ID (Like BBC3)
    RTE News
    RTE Sport

However RTE would have to develop their 2 main stations more so then their extra digital ones.

Now Whos dreaming.

TV3
    TV4 (Like ITV2)
    TV3 Sport
    TV3 Movies
    TV3 Music

TG4
    Cula 4
    Nuacht TG4 (International News, including Nuacht TG4 and EuroNews, agus Dail Beo)
    Scannan TG4
    Sport TG4

I have thought about this a little too much.

Also Investment would have to be mainly towards TV3 and TG4.

Only boggers would watch any of that crap! RTE is bad enough as it is, without more boring tripe.

What the hell would they show on a 24 hour Irish sports channel? And who would film and edit the games? You'd only have about 10 people watching the Roscommon vs. Cavan under 18's Hurley- and they'd be the players. Who would finance and maintain this?

SKY Digital all the way!

Only boggers would watch any of that crap! RTE is bad enough as it is, without more boring tripe.

What the hell would they show on a 24 hour Irish sports channel? And who would film and edit the games? You'd only have about 10 people watching the Roscommon vs. Cavan under 18's Hurley- and they'd be the players. Who would finance and maintain this?

SKY Digital all the way!

Fortunately there are nearly 2,000,000 plus boggers in this country.

I have see so much Irish sport, soccer, GAA, etc on Sky Sports. And Of course all of skys sports channels are 24hrs.

I mean lets face it its people like that make sure that Irish Soccer isn't developed or any other irish sport outside of GAA and Rugby.

The stations I suggested were on the basis that they would not all be 24hrs only maybe 3hrs per day maybe more if the sports channels have live golf, tennis, soccer etc.

Note most of the BBC channel don't go out for 24 hrs. they mainly show primetime shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by herbie747

SKY Digital all the way!

I take offence to your boggers statement and would like to point out ot you just how many hours of sport there is being shown in any weekend. They could do it if they wanted to. Ireland TV rights are cheaper because of the size of the country so we could easily shown more sprots.

My question to you is to get a tv guide and count the number of hours of sport related programs on this week on RTÉ.

Think of all the sports that dont get covarge. Iirsh motorsport was on in Mondello last week (i was at this race meeting). Not one mention of it on TV.

So if RTE could get the cameras to the event they could show it during the week on the sports channel.

These channels might not happen until TV goes digital but there is no need to scrap the idea just beacuse a UK comapny does things better. THEY have much more money!

RTE can't even run the channels they have now. They're broke. To many old people getting overpaid for doing nothing. Not allowing outsiders into their little club. Thats why they're broke.
    RTE are government funded, as well as funding from spot advertising and sponsorship- and they still can't run a channel profitably. Other channels survive on one or the other- and a bit of hard work and talented staff.

Did you notice the amount of f*ck-ups at the opening ceremony to the Special Olympics- camera shaking, no communication with the presenter (Where's Samantha Mumba??), loss/glitches in the video signal. I was emrarassed to be Irish for those few hours, knowing that other countries were watching our national television station struggle with handling live TV.

Fat chance of them going digital and launching more channels. They're a joke.

Did you notice the amount of f*ck-ups at the opening ceremony to the Special Olympics- camera shaking, no communication with the presenter (Where's Samantha Mumba??), loss/glitches in the video signal. I was emrarassed to be Irish for those few hours, knowing that other countries were watching our national television station struggle with handling live TV.

Sam Mumba is late and its RTE's fault, insightful. Of course Tyrone Productions had nothing to do with it at all.
    RTE are government funded, as well as funding from spot advertising and sponsorship- and they still can't run a channel profitably. Other channels survive on one or the other- and a bit of hard work and talented staff.

Yes and TV3 have soooooo proved this.

Samantha Mumba was late? Then how was she on stage fully dressed with make-up about 10 seconds after he announced she was stuck in traffic? No communication. Surely someone could have told him that she had arrived and was backstage getting ready.

TV3 are total clowns. I'm not referring to them when I talk about profitable well run stations- we just don't have any in this country purely because of the broadcast licence laws- i.e. they don't give out licences.
    Compared to the UK, where it takes 4 weeks to apply for an ITC licence, with minimal requirements, then you simply pay for transponder and uplinking and you're on air.
    Try apply for a broadcast licence here. They don't even have an application procedure because they just don't issue licences- they've only EVER given out one- to TV3. The rest of the channels are government regulated.
    Same deal with the radio licences. Phantom (who have been on air for 8 years and have tonnes of listeners) gets turned down every year they apply, and then we get treated to ANOTHER pop station- SPIN or SUN FM, whatever...

• Advertisement

Ok so its the BCIs fault that we dont have as many stations as Britian.

1. There are 5 main channels in Britain at the moment One more then us. 3 of which are government owned/run. C4 being the other.
    2. Most of the TV stations that have been issued are cable stations and a few local stations.
    3. How hard is it to get on to FreeView which is prob the most important thing to get on to in Britain since Cable isn't hugely popular in the UK, unlike here.
    4. It is only a couple of years since the emergence of these stations.
    5. Are the quality Stations? No. E4 quality?

But I agree with you to a major extent. I don't understand why dublin have so many radio stations and the BCI are unwilling to give licences to the rest of the country, where the 2,000,000 plus "boggers" live.

I think its time that the government and the BCI take charge of the situation and show some interest before Irish TV dies and we just become a region of the mainland. Wait it may have already begun .......TV3. ITV Ireland.

Had to get that in at some stage. :D

Good points. But there are hundreds of stations on SKY Digital, most of which are run from the UK. They were all issued licenses by the ITC. Whether or not they are ALL quality channels doesn't really matter, because there's so many- at least people have choices.
    And at least people can launch a channel if they want to (finance permitting). If you have the money and minimal TV knowledge, you could run a small tv station on the SKY Digital platform. NO CHANCE of anything like that in this country.

No because Sky aren't controlled by the BCI and NTL and Chorus give out about including all 4 irish channels. The BCI will have a hard time trying to get the cable companies to put an new irish channels on their analogue or digital networks.

The 30 so FreeView channels provide more choice thus if RTE, tg4 and TV3 where to have 16 extra channels we would have even more choice and a chance to develop Irish DTT.

No because Sky aren't controlled by the BCI and NTL and Chorus give out about including all 4 irish channels.

No, what? Sorry I don't know what you mean. I didn't ask a question. What's the "No" in response to?

No, what? Sorry I don't know what you mean. I didn't ask a question. What's the "No" in response to?

Do you get far with your cheekyness?

Good points. But there are hundreds of stations on SKY Digital, most of which are run from the UK. They were all issued licenses by the ITC. If you have the money and minimal TV knowledge, you could run a small tv station on the SKY Digital platform. NO CHANCE of anything like that in this country.

NO, THERE IS NO CHANCE OF ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN THIS COUNTRY AS THE BCI DONT HAVE ANY CONTROL OVER SKY WERE AS THE ITC IN BRITAIN DO.

I wasn't being cheeky. Just didn't know what you meant.

Anwho, of course the BCI don't have any authority over SKY- different countries!
    I'm saying that the ITC are a lot more relaxed about issuing licences; thats why there's so many channels in the UK, and the BCI are as*holes- which is why we only have 4 crap channels here. Irish broadcasting is a joke. It's a real "You scratch my back.... " scenario in this country.

On another note, it was easy for the BCI to get the 4 Irish channels on SKY Digital- you just pay SKY for the EPG listing. Then uplink the signal to the transponder on the satellite. Any channel that has a BCI or ITC licence can broadcast anywhere in the EU.

Anwho, of course the BCI don't have any authority over SKY- different countries!

Actually as far as I know The ITC only got control sky Recently, for that same reason, as sky was based in denmark or somewhere like that. The BCI have tried to gain some control over sky which they should have as they are the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland and Sky broadcast into this country, weather they are based in britian or any other country is not the issue.
    On another note, it was easy for the BCI to get the 4 Irish channels on SKY Digital- you just pay SKY for the EPG listing. Then uplink the signal to the transponder on the satellite. Any channel that has a BCI or ITC licence can broadcast anywhere in the EU.

I beleive that that was a deal with RTE and then TV3 and TG4 followed suit. And they don't pay for this. Rights issues prevent most EU TV stations broadcasting from outside their own coutries.

Also The BCI are issuing cable and sat TV Licences, TV3 and others have applied for such licences www.bci.ie.

Now the question remains weather or not Sky, NTL or Chourus will take on such stations.

Also were a very small country e.g. E4 gets less then 10,000 viewers for most of their shows a station like that if based in Ireland is unlikely to survive.

Good points. I'm kinda sick of this topic now, so thanks for the discussion. Cheers.:)

Advertisement