Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time getting GoBus from Galway

Options
  • 27-05-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Used the non-stop Galway - Dublin service at the weekend. With a €10 walk up fare, and getting dropped at O'Connell Bridge bang on time, it's very convenient. The onboard toilet is very small but perfectly usable.

Only slight complaint is that we seemed to be the slowest thing on the motorway. We seemed to be passed out by everyone else. I presume this is due to the 100km/h speed limit for coaches, which is nearly a shame as Galway to Dublin could be done in 2 hours otherwise.

Other disappointing thing is the gap in the timetable between 7pm and 1am.

Overall a great service and now that I've tried it I wouldn't hesitate to use it over the train, especially for a walk up price of €10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I used to think they were limited to 100 km/h but I was driving alongside one recently doing 120 and it was keeping pace. Its actually a bit unnerving driving alongside those big buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

n97 mini wrote: »
    Used the non-stop Galway - Dublin service at the weekend. With a €10 walk up fare, and getting dropped at O'Connell Bridge bang on time, it's very convenient. The onboard toilet is very small but perfectly usable.

Only slight complaint is that we seemed to be the slowest thing on the motorway. We seemed to be passed out by everyone else. I presume this is due to the 100km/h speed limit for coaches, which is nearly a shame as Galway to Dublin could be done in 2 hours otherwise.

Other disappointing thing is the gap in the timetable between 7pm and 1am.

Overall a great service and now that I've tried it I wouldn't hesitate to use it over the train, especially for a walk up price of €10.

Well tbh its far more fuel efficient to stick at that speed for a coach anyway. Which results in better fares for clients. So hardly a drawback.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well I wouldn't say they are the slowest, I have seen them overtaking many trucks, but yes obviously slower then typical cars, but this is down purely to being limited to 100km/h per EU rules.

They are easily capable of doing 120km/h and I believe can do that for short periods of time to overtake cars, etc.

Actually it might be an interesting topic to discuss in a new thread.

I agree with you on the big gap in schedule, it is very unfortunate, I got caught by this the last time I was in Galway.

You might also want to try out Citylink too the next time you go to Galway. 50c more expensive, but I think their coaches are nicer then GoBus.

With the exception of the gap in schedule, the Galway route really is the top example of how good an intercity route can be.

- All coaches toilet equipped
    - Vast majority of coaches less then a year old
    - All coaches very comfortable and well equipped.
    - The lovely, very modern and very central private bus station.

I look forward to when the Cork route matures into such a high quality and consistent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bk wrote: »
    I look forward to when the Cork route matures into such a high quality and consistent service.
    Not sure that will happen, as Galway always had a more bus oriented culture due to the student/crusty population, as well as probably getting four times more tourists/back packers than Cork. There is a demand for lots of cheap transport to/from Galway!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not sure that will happen, as Galway always had a more bus oriented culture due to the student/crusty population, as well as probably getting four times more tourists/back packers than Cork. There is a demand for lots of cheap transport to/from Galway!

On the other hand, far more people travel on the Cork to Dublin corridor then the Galway to Dublin corridor. And the cost of the train to Cork is much higher then to Galway.

So I think there should be equal or perhaps even more demand to Cork.

In fairness the Galway direct services have been around for 6 years, compared to just one year to Cork. They weren't always this good.

However I agree the higher tourist business in Galway plays a big part in making the private bus station possible (loads of the summer bus trips to Cliffs of Moher, etc. operate out of it).

• Advertisement
Advertisement