Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use XP? (multiple choice)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Depends does it have a Math CoPro?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

beauf wrote: »
    Why can't the business not simply turn off Metro? Then most of the users won't know any difference from Windows 7.

That is the main problem with Win 8. Let's take on OS designed for phones and tablets with touchscreen and stick it on a laptop or desktop. And thereby making it damn near unusable.
    Idiotic.

But you can turn it off. Takes less than a minute.

So what's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You're preaching to the converted here. Some people just cant seem to get over the Metro interface, even if you dont have to use it if you dont want to. People are very stubborn when it comes to things like this, and also more than a little afraid, at times.

I don't see the point of complaining about it, if you don't have to use it.

• Advertisement

I don't see the point of complaining about it, if you don't have to use it.

If you have a way of turning off the Metro interface, add a start button and have every single thing working in less than a minute, I would be interested, should I ever have to work with 8.

Did you miss the previous posts :confused: Classic Shell or Start8. Google some reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

All I seem to hear from people who like 8 is, it's great with a 3rd party app to bring back the start button, well if they have to do that it's obvious that they don't like the way 8 is in the first place. I've used 8 for a while and the update 8.1 and it is fast and faster in many ways than 7 but I sold my disc and key as I just don't like the way it's set up and I don't want to install a 3rd party app just to have a half arsed start button that resembles 7 and Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Quick query.........
    Will most PC games and programs that work with XP work better with windows 7 or 8.
    I'm talking games from the xp era and before it?

Trying to decide between 7 or 8 myself.

200motels wrote: »
    All I seem to hear from people who like 8 is, it's great with a 3rd party app to bring back the start button, well if they have to do that it's obvious that they don't like the way 8 is in the first place. I've used 8 for a while and the update 8.1 and it is fast and faster in many ways than 7 but I sold my disc and key as I just don't like the way it's set up and I don't want to install a 3rd party app just to have a half arsed start button that resembles 7 and Vista.

So you wont use Windows 8 because you dont like the way it is made, even though theres a perfectly simple way of getting it working with a Start menu which makes it much superior to Windows 7? Thats your own choice, but it seems you are cutting off your nose to spite your face, to me. Unofficial or not, Classic Shell is a great addition to Windows 8/8.1, and its in no way half arsed - you would see this if you took the time to try it.

• Advertisement

200motels wrote: »

I take it then you won't be installing a 3rd party app like chrome, because you don't like IE, or installing Minecraft because you don't like Minesweeper.

Metro isn't Windows 8, it sits on top. The whole point of a Wintel Machine is you can install what you want.

I take it then you won't be installing a 3rd party app like chrome, because you don't like IE, or installing Minecraft because you don't like Minesweeper.

Metro isn't Windows 8, it sits on top. The whole point of a Wintel Machine is you can install what you want.
    Point taken.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    So you wont use Windows 8 because you dont like the way it is made, even though theres a perfectly simple way of getting it working with a Start menu which makes it much superior to Windows 7? Thats your own choice, but it seems you are cutting off your nose to spite your face, to me. Unofficial or not, Classic Shell is a great addition to Windows 8/8.1, and its in no way half arsed - you would see this if you took the time to try it.
    I have tried the the 3rd party add on and I didn't like it, the one I used was from Stardock, now maybe theirs better ones out there I didn't try but until Microsoft get rid of that awful app screen and put a proper start button in I'll stick with 7 and Linux Mint.

"the 3rd party addon" ? yup theres more than one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8

It makes no sense that someone finds checking out a few apps a step too far. But will install Linux instead.

Near.. far away....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Am I the only person that dropped the tiled app's and got on with it?

Jesus you're all a bunch of babies.

LOl - exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Am I the only person that dropped the tiled app's and got on with it?

Jesus you're all a bunch of babies.
    no...upgraded from vista....set up my desktop...happy days ever since

Debian at home and 7 at work, couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Debian at home and 7 at work, couldn't be happier.

Had to google that one.

Just shows what I know:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Home - IBM t43p with an IDE SSD drive, I've had windows XP auto updates turned off for three years, its happy out. Windows 7 at work but most other PC's are windows XP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looking at the Omniture stats for our site, 9.0% of our daily unique visitors are still using XP. Only Windows 7 and OSX are more popular.

It's going to a slow death.

I was in Currys/PC World in the Jervis Centre in Dublin the other day, and all the staff terminals around the shop are running XP Pro. Its a bad sign when computer shops are still running XP on their internal systems!

If they aren't on the web why does it matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If they aren't on the web why does it matter.

Because one other machine that is infected could transfer malicious content via USB or if it's only a local network could wreak havoc on it.
    Don't think only infections come from the internet on an isolated machine.

I'm not. I'm assuming no one would have USB ports enabled on a terminal system. And user would not be be allowed to run any software other then the terminal. It would be a locked down system. Which is probably they've never had a need to upgrade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm not. I'm assuming no one would have USB ports enabled on a terminal system. And user would not be be allowed to run any software other then the terminal. It would be a locked down system. Which is probably they've never had a need to upgrade it.

If its a proper isolated terminal, then it doesn't matter. So ATM's etc are really only on 56k modems or ISDN lines. But if its networked, you are going to have a bad time. I have no doubt that after a month or two of support being dropped, you will see a couple of zero days come out. When Microsoft stand by their word and do nothing, the big guns will come out. Thats a lot of possible new botnet members in a short span of time. Popular sites are going to be hit hard to be used as a transfer method to client machines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My workplace still does. I'm a little concerned as I don't know how to convince my boss, who is not a technical person (nor am I tech support), to spend a bit of money. 2 PCs have failed for hardware reasons, so I think everything else is creaking along (colleagues having problems) at probably 8-10 years old. We don't really have the money to buy to updated machines. I got a refurbished Win 7, which is great. You'd hardly know it was a refurb save for the sticker. We don't have money to redo our website, so 5 PCs plus the technician's time to set up is likely out of the question. When SHTF it's going to be fun. :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ste- wrote: »
    Because one other machine that is infected could transfer malicious content via USB or if it's only a local network could wreak havoc on it.
    Don't think only infections come from the internet on an isolated machine.

These would be Point of Sale terminals that Beauf is talking about. These would only be on local networks within that company and User Access should be heavily restricted with USB only able to work for input devices such as keypads / card readers.

Most shops that have gone the PC route for their tills would be running on some sort of variant of Windows XP.

M...5 PCs plus the technician's time to set up is likely out of the question. When SHTF it's going to be fun. :/

Many places have hundreds if not thousands of them!

TBH, many of these old boxes are pre - core2duo, and thus pretty much too slow for modern browsers and websites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, colleagues have issues with IE8. Think Firefox is on some, but not sure they understand what it's for...

Advertisement