Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eflow "Pay as you go" mess.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

10,000 per day down from 20,000 according to today's Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

IIMII wrote: »
    According to that article it's all problems with the tags not being mounted correctly (motorists' fault, obviously!) and the backup failure to match registration plates with tag holders on the backend.

No mention though of my situation. I have no tag and I'm not pre-registered. eFlow read my registration correctly and I paid on their own website but they still couldn't figure out I paid. If they can't get something as simple as that to work they should suspend tolling until they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

From RTÉ News

The operators of barrier-free tolling on Dublin's M50 say the details of around 200 vehicles a day are not being read correctly. The National Roads Authority has conceded significant problems with billing of cars by the new barrier free tolling system on the M50.

The Authority says up to 14,000 people a week are being billed incorrectly. The system manages tolling for up to 100,000 cars a day on the road.

Some 200 people a day are receiving bills in error as they were not on the motorway, but 80% of incorrect billing is because people have placed their tag incorrectly on their car windscreen.

Footage from the NRA shows drivers have placed their tags in the wrong part of their windscreen, some sticking them onto the wrong side of their car mirror, holding them up to the windscreen and in some cases waving them out the window as they drive past the tolling scanners on the motorway.

The NRA have disputed figures in today's newspapers that claimed that around 10,000 people a day were being incorrectly billed.

The Authority says around 10,000 cars a day that are not registered are being sent toll requests. The Authority says customer service problems at the M50 call centre are largely due to the fact that 40 people left their jobs there.

The high turnover of staff is being blamed mainly on callers to the system who are often abusive and threatening, according to the NRA.

The NRA claimed today that the charging system is 99.8% accurate.

"...holding them up to the windscreen and in some cases waving them out the window as they drive past the tolling scanners on the motorway."

Hilarious! Must watch out for this behaviour when i'm next driving past.

"The high turnover of staff is being blamed mainly on callers to the system who are often abusive and threatening, according to the NRA."

Aw, poor things! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Quick question....if the cameras can read the reg numbers then why do we need tags? Surely you could just register your car details (reg number etc) and that's all you'd need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

IIMII wrote: »

That is 40,000 pages of invoices being posted out per day taking that each invoice is 4 page document.

This is 28,0000 sheets of paper a week,

1,120,000 a month or

13,440,000 a year :eek:
    Quick question....if the cameras can read the reg numbers then why do we need tags? Surely you could just register your car details (reg number etc) and that's all you'd need.
    E_tagging is a far more accurate system than ANPR provided that the device is correctly set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Anyone know how long has to pass before a late fine is imposed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

keen wrote: »
    Anyone know how long has to pass before a late fine is imposed?

Initially you have til 8 the following day, then i think you have a two week period and then it forty euro. Aint too sure after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Initially you have til 8 the following day, then i think you have a two week period and then it forty euro. Aint too sure after that.

Thanks, got the two fines waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Yes, but that would be much too easy and wouldn't involve expenditure on tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My mother registered a video account. Just after registering (but before activating) the account she used the bridge and assumed she'd be billed on her account. She was arong and a standard toll request arrived but the funniest part is that when i called up eflow to pay the STR on my laser card, the operator told me someone else (not my mother) had already paid it! The whole system is an utter joke and folly. They should remove this behemoth of admonistration and waste forthwith and raise taxes more efficiently elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Davidth88 wrote: »
    The same thing has happened to me, I made sure I kept the reciepts because I didn't trust these guys... so I look forward to them chasing me down. I am not going to contact them , or do anything because it says if I have made payment to ignore the letter, anyway why should I waste my time ?

I must be happening to 100/1000's of people .

This system is patently not working , whatever the ' spin doctors' like to say !

Me too, two trips both paid for, one in Payzone, other online bu Credit card, and the credit card was charged, but the statement of the creditcard is some generic text, i supose including the STR number in the text is too much for this shower of morons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Me too, two trips both paid for, one in Payzone, other online bu Credit card, and the credit card was charged, but the statement of the creditcard is some generic text, i supose including the STR number in the text is too much for this shower of morons

Same here, guess we'll all meet up someday in court :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

anyone tried opening the PDF file for the Statement on the eflow.ie website under "My Account > Statements" - despite having Adobe Reader version 9 - I am getting message that the file is damaged and cannot be repaired....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

CtrlSource wrote: »
    From RTÉ News

The operators of barrier-free tolling on Dublin's M50 say the details of around 200 vehicles a day are not being read correctly. The National Roads Authority has conceded significant problems with billing of cars by the new barrier free tolling system on the M50.

The Authority says up to 14,000 people a week are being billed incorrectly. The system manages tolling for up to 100,000 cars a day on the road.

Some 200 people a day are receiving bills in error as they were not on the motorway, but 80% of incorrect billing is because people have placed their tag incorrectly on their car windscreen.

Footage from the NRA shows drivers have placed their tags in the wrong part of their windscreen, some sticking them onto the wrong side of their car mirror, holding them up to the windscreen and in some cases waving them out the window as they drive past the tolling scanners on the motorway.

The NRA have disputed figures in today's newspapers that claimed that around 10,000 people a day were being incorrectly billed.

The Authority says around 10,000 cars a day that are not registered are being sent toll requests. The Authority says customer service problems at the M50 call centre are largely due to the fact that 40 people left their jobs there.

The high turnover of staff is being blamed mainly on callers to the system who are often abusive and threatening, according to the NRA.

The NRA claimed today that the charging system is 99.8% accurate.

"...holding them up to the windscreen and in some cases waving them out the window as they drive past the tolling scanners on the motorway."

Hilarious! Must watch out for this behaviour when i'm next driving past.

"The high turnover of staff is being blamed mainly on callers to the system who are often abusive and threatening, according to the NRA."

Aw, poor things! :p

This doesn't include tag users that are being charged incorrectly. All of our vehicles are being charged at a higher tarriff then we believe they should be and more then when we paid cash at the booth. We only noticed this when using the East Link where the toll amount is displayed as you go through. In some cases a van is being charged 1.65 and on one occasion 4.95 was displayed but on average each trip is 3.30 instead of 2.50. Getting through to eflow to rectify the problem is almost impossible. How can one have faith in the system even if it can read the tag correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

this is such bull%%%%

we paid in advance as my wife was leaving the country, didnt want to get caught with a bill etc.

then we recieved two penalty's even thou weve paid the toll,s

had a very bad conversation with the 1890 no people, asked for a dispute to be raised etc. never called me back,

ill see them in court if they want, any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

That is 40,000 pages of invoices being posted out per day taking that each invoice is 4 page document.

This is 28,0000 sheets of paper a week,

1,120,000 a month or

13,440,000 a year :eek:

E_tagging is a far more accurate system than ANPR provided that the device is correctly set up.

I phoned them up to complain when I got a letter including 2 sheets of paper just telling me that I DIDN'T go through the toll this month. So you'll get an invoice regardless every month ....

The guy on the phone told me that they weren't going to change the entire system for me (gee thanks) ... and it was only after a lot of probing that I mangaged to extract from him the fact that I could register to have the invoices sent by email ... why didn't you say that in the first place!!! :mad::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

has anyone ever received a reply after emailing customerservice@eflow.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

mobpd wrote: »
    has anyone ever received a reply after emailing customerservice@eflow.ie ?

yes 10 days after my initial mail to them, and then 10 days letter I'm still awaiting follow up, Ive called them about in the meantime and they've said its been dealt with by email to leave it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 darren20

murphaph wrote: »
    I thought the call centre was in Newry? (either way-I am not happy that a state agency, the National Roads Authority, which owns eflow, has sent employment outside the state and is paying 'foreign' wages out of our bloody tolls!)

The national roads authority or eflow would not be paying the wages of call centre agents. They would be paid by the telecommunications company which employs them to work on behalf of eflow.

I have paid for this bridge via my taxes already ...... this is a stelth tax

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

No you haven't! If the cost of destroying the toll bridge, erecting the gantry and maintaining the system was to be covered by the taxpayers then some form of tax would have to be increased, therefore the best option to fund this is to charge those who use the road.

• Advertisement

Why am I upset ....

I now have to pay 2.50 , if I give cc details , or 3 euro

Or

Pay 1 euro per month PLUS leave a sum on deposit to pay the same 2 euro I paid last week.

As for business customers , they can't claim their VAT back any more

Why when the system should be more efficient do I have to pay more ?

Never mind the stupid system that you have to pay by 8pm the day after , what if you are driving to the airport to go away .......You should be able to pre-pay ( by cash )

Business customers can't claim VAT back because there is no VAT on the toll charge.

You can also pay using the payzone outlets in the airport so if you're leaving the country you have no excuse for not paying

Unfortunately you have NO choice of a cash option any more, You have to surrender all your registration details no matter what way you want to go about crossing this inland "border control".

The toll bridge is no longer about collecting money for a bridge which has been paid many times over, it is now all about subsidising a sophisticated electronic tracking system and one is heavily penalised for not complying to it, i.e. fitting an electronic tag to your car.

Somebody's been watching too many conspiracy theory programs

You can just register your car details but the tag can be used on the other toll roads in Ireland, for example the M1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

darren20 wrote: »
    No you haven't! If the cost of destroying the toll bridge, erecting the gantry and maintaining the system was to be covered by the taxpayers then some form of tax would have to be increased, therefore the best option to fund this is to charge those who use the road.

No, it would be cheaper, more efficient and more equitable to raise the required funds through income tax (which despite bad press, is the fairest tax there is - we have far too much taxation in dribs and drabs applied in such a way that apart from the lack of transparency, really hurts low earners). The whole country requires Dublin to operate efficiently for their benefit too (albeit indirectly). M50 users should not be subject to a direct toll - the whole country should pay for the M50 just as Dubliners have to put up with the whole country paying for infrastructure in the West of Ireland (again, it's in their interest too - the country has to pay for the West regardless - so better to improve its ability to contribute to the economy).

There is perhaps a small case for tolling motorways that provide a faster and easier alternative to a viable parallel R road (former N road) but that isn't the case for the M50. Even then I would argue our other motorways don't really fall into the "optional extra" category and are essential infrastructure.

Advertisement