Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My paranoia is ruining my friendship

Options
  • 13-01-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I know I've been on this before with guy problems, but I'm surrounded by so many of them, lol.

Here's the thing. I've been friends with X for nearly two years now. He was the first friend I made in college and one of the closest friends I have. It's only in the last month that I began to crush on him. But it's one of those crushes I have where I never expect anything of it (I have a lot of crushes), I simply wait for it to run its course, and in this case, X and I are much better as friends. I've been told that I unintentionally flirt with guys I fancy whether I want anything of it or not, but I never got the impression X noticed. That is, until a few nights ago.

I attended a party at X's apartment, along with a girl who overshares her personal life and sticks her nose where it doesn't belong. She got it out of me that I fancy X and quickly informed me that she brought it up with him, discreetly. She said to him, 'So, I saw you and Y on the balcony, what's going on there?' This is what she said he said: 'I love Y, she's a lovely girl and a great laugh. I know she feels more for me, but I just see her as a friend.' This freaked me out because a guy once found out I liked him years ago and backed off from me, but the nosy girl assured me that X's behaviour hasn't changed around me. I was satisfied with this and became delighted at the nice things X said about me.

'But you need you calm down around him,' said the nosy girl.

This sent me back into a panic. She didn't explain where I need to calm down, so now I'm analysing my behaviour towards him. I mean I hug him, I link arms with him, but I do that with my other male friends and he knows it, and plus I did it well before my feelings changed. Now I find myself thinking about what I say before I say it, thinking about what I do before I do it, not speaking to him unless he initiates it, and sitting away from him. It's my own fault, but I've obviously done something to arouse his suspicions and something else to confirm them. I could kill that nosy bitch for getting involved, you'd swear I was going to jump him with the way she was talking to me.

What do I do now? Should I talk to him about it and clear it up? Or will that just make things worse? Please no one suggest the backing away thing is a good idea, because he's going to get suspicious, he's clearly not blind to my behaviour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Wow thats quite a thing you have going there.
    Maybe get this guy out for a drink jst the two of you, and when the time is right just kiss him and go from there.
    If hes not interested then maybe its time to move on..
    as for the paronoia thing we all have our issues im over paronoid when it comes to these things thats wha happens to the good guys who have been burned too many times the wall goes up and its hard to come down youre on youre gaurd against any threats and this girl just got in youre sights
    really its down to you how to play this youve got to throw your cards on the table and I HOPE YOU WIN good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    in this case, X and I are much better as friends. .............. he said: 'I love Y, she's a lovely girl and a great laugh. I know she feels more for me, but I just see her as a friend.' ............ I mean I hug him, I link arms with him, but I do that with my other male friends and he knows it, and plus I did it well before my feelings changed. Now I find myself thinking about what I say before I say it, thinking about what I do before I do it, not speaking to him unless he initiates it, and sitting away from him...........
    What do I do now? Should I talk to him about it and clear it up? Or will that just make things worse? Please no one suggest the backing away thing is a good idea, because he's going to get suspicious, he's clearly not blind to my behaviour.

If you can, talk to him about what nosey girl said to you & cut out the middle(wo)man. Explain that you only want him as a friend, and check that's what he wants too. Communication can only improve withuot someone else in the middle adding their own interpretation of what was said and murkying the waters all round.

Hope it all works out for you.

Advertisement