Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time jobs for college student in Cork

Options
  • 29-07-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    Can anyone give me some advice on looking for a part time job in cork in September? I'll be back in college and really need the money but I've looked many times before and find it impossible to get anywhere, it seems like if you don't know someone who works there you can forget it. Any advice on places to apply people wouldn't generally think of, etc? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 teacakes

I'm in the same position as you (have been pounding the pavement all summer!), and unfortunately it really is about who you know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Go to Ramen at Dennehys Cross, they are going to be hiring lots over the coming months.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

I think its more down to experience really.. Also a college student wouldn't be considered all that flexible which in retail for example, is really important.. I imagine bar work, restaurants etc would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do you know what you should do, are you male or female.. If female for reception you should go along to a few companies, call in yourself with your CV and say that you would be available to cover holidays etc, and if male say well either reception or to do any odd bit of works around the place you would be surprised..

I know out place used to use le creame who I cant stand and like that we were looking for someone to cover. We are sorted now but a lot of places would take it up id say

• Registered Users Posts: 22 drifter93

Milly33 wrote: »
    Do you know what you should do, are you male or female.. If female for reception you should go along to a few companies, call in yourself with your CV and say that, hat you would be available to cover holidays etc, and if male say well either reception or to do any odd bit of works around the place you would be surprised..

I know out place used to use le cream who I cant stand and like that we were looking for someone to cover. We are sorted now but a lot of places would take it up id say

Thanks, that's a good idea :) it's so annoying because I have experience and good references but I feel like it's impossible to even get an interview if you don't know someone there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just off the top of my head seems odd but have you tried a few of the places on Centre Park road, if you called in to the business centre and even McCarthys although Id say working for them would be an ordeal.. Ill pm you my own place there too..I know what you mean it seems all work now a days is word of mouth of people who you know, know someone a bit of a joke when it comes to you trying to find work.. I feel your pain but hopefully it will turn

Advertisement