Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very spaced out??

Options
  • 13-01-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey im a 19 year old guy in college with a good personaility but lately well over the last say 6 months ive been noticing that im not totally there when im doing things like in a lecture on when im talking to people.its like im spaced out or some thing like when im talknig to friends i can tell my mind is wondering and i have to shake myself back into the conversation but it keeps on happening.its really hard to explain but its seriuosly getting to me cos usual ive a great personality but lately im just seeming slow or sumthing.its wrecknig my head!i told my mam and she told me to take those eye-q tablets cos der meant to be great for conentration but i dont know wheather to go to the doctor hoping its not more serious i just want to get back to being more"der"in the head and wit it you know.any advice?does anybody else have this??its really getting to me.thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Go to your doctor, it could be epillepsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Go to your doctor, it could be a brain tumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Switch courses, you're bored to sruff. meaning ****

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

r u serious...a brain tumor or epilepsy?im starting to get very worried now i tot it was just bad consentration from not eating fruit too often..but i dont know..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

You could be tired. How are you sleeping?
    how is your drug/ alcohol intake.
    It could be lack of exercise.
    you could be depressed.
    you could be lacking in vitamins
    you could be just getting over a bad flu.

It could be loads of things just in case try to get some exercise (half and hour 4 times a week) drink more fluids and start taking some multi-vitamin and cut down on the beer a bit.

Do you eat breakfast could be low blood sugar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sheesh wrote: »
    You could be tired. How are you sleeping?

It could be lack of exercise.

you could be lacking in vitamins

Do you eat breakfast could be low blood sugar?

Those would be the four Id look at.

If possible, try and drink at least 4 litres of water a day as well. even a 5% dehydration level will leave you with about 50% concentration, so make sure you top yourself up. especially if you drink regularly. Tea and coffee do not rehydrate you, you need water.

your right i think thats what it is...i have been lacking in excercise as i meant to start cyxling to college again(starting tommorow)as i did last year....as for vitimins i dont eat fruit or veg really so i should been taknig vitimins and i stoped eating cerial ages ago well since 6 year so i have to start donig that again...der probally why im like this its really weird not feelnig ur all der...cheers for the replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd definitly go see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

Relax.. spent an entire 4 years in college completely spaced, still got a 2.1 and my professional qualifications!;)

Seriously though, I agree with 'sheesh'. Your diet, level of nutrition and how often you exercise has a massive impact on your mental well-being. Reconsider your diet, and if your not already pretty active, hit the gym and get programme written up for yourself, or take up a sport. Guarantee you'll notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Anything distracting you, causing you stress?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Those would be the four Id look at.

If possible, try and drink at least 4 litres of water a day as well. even a 5% dehydration level will leave you with about 50% concentration, so make sure you top yourself up. especially if you drink regularly. Tea and coffee do not rehydrate you, you need water.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/50514.php

I dunno but blanket statements are no use to anyone.

PS the OPs ma sounds great - ah go on, get those eye-q things and get yer fcuking 2.1 boy....

Doctor, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

talking to people.its like im spaced out or some thing like when im talknig to friends i can tell my mind is wondering and i have to shake myself back into the conversation but it keeps on happening.
    Do you mean like this http://www.panicattacks.com.au/anxdis/dissoc.html

Disclaimer: This is not medical advice Good luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Go to your doctor, it could be a brain tumor.
    :rolleyes:

Probably boredom, stress, diet, blood sugar, dehydration or all of the above. Go to the quack to rule out anything else. Peace of mind if nothing else.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

spacedout wrote: »
    r u serious...a brain tumor or epilepsy?im starting to get very worried now i tot it was just bad consentration from not eating fruit too often..but i dont know..

it is possible that it is a form of epilepsy (there's several forms, and this would be a minor type).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

delah wrote: »

interesting, although, id rather drink 4 litres of water a day than 4 litres of tea :)
    besides, a bottle of water is easier to carry than a flask of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

are you gettin enough sleep, i quite often get less than the recommended 8 hrs, and i notice that spaced out feeling your talking about. could be numerous reasons, id go see the doctor if i were you, dont you get a free doctor at college anyway? nothing to lose and it will give you peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yes indeed it could be a mild form of epilepsy. There are no 'fits' or anything like that you just sort of space out for 2-5 minute periods at a time. However it is FAR more likely to be one of the above things (diet, blood sugar, vitamin deficiency). I would also recommend a blood test to check for an iron deficiency.

If possible, try and drink at least 4 litres of water a day as well.

this is dangerous advice. Drinking this amount of water in the absence of massive ssweating/heat could seriously effect his electrolyte balance.

Look up water intoxication!
    "Blood contains electrolytes (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride) in concentrations that must be held within very narrow limits. Water enters the body orally or intravenously and leaves the body primarily in urine, sweat, and water vapor. If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs. In other words, the body has too much water and not enough electrolytes.A person with healthy kidneys can excrete about 900 mililitres per hour (0.24 gal/hr"

OP, look at your stress levels: these can be modulated by exercise and concentration exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

this is dangerous advice. Drinking this amount of water in the absence of massive ssweating/heat could seriously effect his electrolyte balance.

Look up water intoxication!
    "Blood contains electrolytes (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride) in concentrations that must be held within very narrow limits. Water enters the body orally or intravenously and leaves the body primarily in urine, sweat, and water vapor. If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs. In other words, the body has too much water and not enough electrolytes.A person with healthy kidneys can excrete about 900 mililitres per hour (0.24 gal/hr"

OP, look at your stress levels: these can be modulated by exercise and concentration exercises.

As you quoted, a person with healthy kidneys can excrete about 900 mililitres per hour. How can drinking 4 litres over a 12 hour period cause the kind of damage you are taking about? As has been said before, blanket comments are not helpful.

OP, by all means go to the doctor, but I think you have been given all the advice you need. The same advice I will be taking my self e.g. make an effort to have a breakfast every morning, cut down on the drink, increase the exercise, and drink more water and less coca-cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Your probably anemic, Sounds like how I feel when I'm low in iron anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The internet (including here) is a dangerously volatile source of medical advice and you cant rely on it 100%. You need a real world solution OP: go see your doctor. College nurse will see you for free so you don't really have any excuse not to.

Advertisement