Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidaying in Clare - suggestions please

Options
  • 18-07-2015 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I'm taking my family to Doonbeg for a week in mid August. The only county in the West we've not been to.

Can anyone recommend things to do apart from the Cliffs and Ailwee caves.. We have 2 young kids.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

Shannon Dolphin and Wildlife Foundation in Kilrush and Dolphin watching tours out into the estuary - great for young uns' (and auld uns'!)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Staying out of Ennis should be high up your list !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Tea in Fr Ted's house, Craggaunowen for the Crannogs, day trip out to Inis oirr, go to the burren to see dolmens, ringforts etc. Apparently the beach in Fanore is lovely but I've never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

A spin around the burren would definitely be worth while, also a day trip to the Aran islands from Doolin maybe or a cruise under the cliffs of moher. Some cool views on the coast road from kilkee to loop head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Surf school in lahinch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My Grandad grew up in Clare, so i have been there a fair few times.

My suggestions would be the Cliffs of Moher, the Aillwee caves tour, and a the burren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Nip up to the Burren Nature Sanctuary in Kinvara - well worth a visit for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

If you are near the Cliffs then the kids would love Moher Hill Farm, lots of animals they can feed, pet, etc, and an indoor play area too on case of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

OP, what are the ages of your children, if you don't mind me asking? All excellent suggestions so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Aineoil wrote: »
    OP, what are the ages of your children, if you don't mind me asking? All excellent suggestions so far.

They are 5 and 18 months.

Great suggestions so far.

Doolin ferries are doing a groupon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

You could walk some of the green roads in the Burren (ie you can get out and walk), you don't just have to drive through it http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/the-burren-way/13038

Aquarium at Lahinch

Beaches at Fanore, Lahinch, Kilkee, Spanish Point

Bunratty Castle and folk park (lovely day out but this is a bit of a drive from doonbeg)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Depends on the ages of the kids and their activities, but I would say...........

Folk park in Bunratty,
    Playgrounds in almost every town,
    Surf schools in Lahinch,
    Aquarium in Lahinch,
    Walks around the burren,
    Loads of beaches,
    Lighthouse at Kilbaha,
    Craganowen (sp.),
    Walk around/shopping in Ennis,
    Airplane stuff in Shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

If you like birds there is a bird of prey centre right beside the ailwee cave which is good too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If it was me, I would head to the golf club on the Friday evening for a bite to eat and see the sun set. Saturday I'd head to Kilkee and the lighthouse in the morning, get a bite to eat in Keatings (if you like seafood it's brilliant), then I'd head up the coast a bit towards the burren, maybe get afternoon tea in Ennistymon, then back by Father Ted's house to get the phone. Sunday I'd head to Bunratty. Lots of walking and fresh air with beautify views/sights together with great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Marz66 wrote: »
    You could walk some of the green roads in the Burren (ie you can get out and walk), you don't just have to drive through it http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/the-burren-way/13038

Aquarium at Lahinch

Beaches at Fanore, Lahinch, Kilkee, Spanish Point

Bunratty Castle and folk park (lovely day out but this is a bit of a drive from doonbeg)

Just to note that the aquarium is gone sadly, but Seaworld is still worth a visit for a swim or a splash around if the weather isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

The playground in Lahinch is closed at the moment too as some of the equipment is loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Aineoil wrote: »
    The playground in Lahinch is closed at the moment too as some of the equipment is loose.

And the aquarium at Lahinch is closed too unfortunately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Maybe go on one of these National Trails, they're great fun, free and great to get the kids out for a while to explore:
    http://www.burrennationalpark.ie/Trails.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

East Clare is nice too. Lovely drives along Lough Derg, visit the borderlands around Parteen and Clonlara. Ardnacrusha power station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

We were in Doonbeg earlier in the sulmmer.

Very close to Doonbeg are the Baltard cliffs, absolutely stunning. White strand is nearby also and calm for the kids .

Restaurant wise there are three restaurants Morrisseys, Tubridy's and The Igoe Inn. All good.

Spanish Point is lovely but waves are stronger.

Depending on the weather and ages of your family but a trip out to Inis Oirr from Doolin is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Clareman wrote: »
    Depends on the ages of the kids and their activities, but I would say...........

Folk park in Bunratty,
    Playgrounds in almost every town,
    Surf schools in Lahinch,
    Aquarium in Lahinch,
    Walks around the burren,
    Loads of beaches,
    Lighthouse at Kilbaha,
    Craganowen (sp.),
    Walk around/shopping in Ennis,
    Airplane stuff in Shannon

+ Dolin cave.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Visit Dromoland castle for afternoon tea or a drink! See how the other half live!! ;) but seriously Its a beautiful place set in stunning grounds, also close by is Maughan(sp) ring fort which is very impressive and has great views.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Clareman wrote: »
    If it was me, I would head to the golf club on the Friday evening for a bite to eat and see the sun set. Saturday I'd head to Kilkee and the lighthouse in the morning, get a bite to eat in Keatings (if you like seafood it's brilliant), then I'd head up the coast a bit towards the burren, maybe get afternoon tea in Ennistymon, then back by Father Ted's house to get the phone. Sunday I'd head to Bunratty. Lots of walking and fresh air with beautify views/sights together with great food.

Just on Seafood subject, The long Dock in carrighaholt is very good for fresh Seafood! Id love a bowl of there chowder now!

So much to do and so little time to do it all in(only have a week)

Was thinking of inis oirr but will decide on that nearer the time and see if a Groupon deal is available.
    We're off in another week so will report back . didn't know fr teds house was down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

So much to do and so little time to do it all in(only have a week)

Was thinking of inis oirr but will decide on that nearer the time and see if a Groupon deal is available.
    We're off in another week so will report back . didn't know fr teds house was down there.

Doolin pier is very competitive, or was any other year I was there. You can bid the boys down at the pier, probably cheaper than any groupon voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

elastico wrote: »
    Doolin pier is very competitive, or was any other year I was there. You can bid the boys down at the pier, probably cheaper than any groupon voucher.

Yeah I'll second that, the pier is definitely the cheapest place to buy a ticket (offices have popped up around the village but the tickets are apparently more expensive). Parking spots very tight this week so consider park and ride from Garrihy's cross (where the Aran View petrol station is).

Well folks, we are back home in civilization having survived the wilds of Clare.

We got as far as Bunratty Folk Park and up into the Burren with Fr Teds House (from the outside) and a drive through Carron, Kilfenora & Ennistymon. We had a great lunch in Bofey Quins in Corofin.
    Apart from that it was trips to the beaches around Doonbeg and Kilkee in between rain drops.
    The one upside (or downside...depending on your viewpoint) was not even being able to get 2G most of the week.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Well folks, we are back home in civilization having survived the wilds of Clare.

We got as far as Bunratty Folk Park and up into the Burren with Fr Teds House (from the outside) and a drive through Carron, Kilfenora & Ennistymon. We had a great lunch in Bofey Quins in Corofin.
    Apart from that it was trips to the beaches around Doonbeg and Kilkee in between rain drops.
    The one upside (or downside...depending on your viewpoint) was not even being able to get 2G most of the week.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Surely, you mean 3G?

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Surely, you mean 3G?

Nope..I meant 2G..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nope..I meant 2G..:D

Seriously? I find the signal in west clare quite good compared to pockets of Mayo, Galway and Kerry

Advertisement