Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about The Donald?

Options
  • 02-07-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

The owner of a local hotel and golf course is running for President of the US of A which would, in the normal run of events, be an issue we might at least acknowledge and maybe even, wonder of wonders, discuss.

Is the fact that he's giving some employment in the county enough to still our brains and our tongues?

Sean O'Rourke tried to get real with the man when he came to Doonbeg first but was quickly cowed http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/donald-trump-tells-rtes-sean-orourke-off-over-quiff-quiz-30288879.html

We need the jobs and the bucks. On the other hand perhaps we should all stop cowering.

We put up with a lot for the money and always did. We're now twinned with some province in China (great for the exports and to hell with human rights) and we're keeping silent on this very weird man. Jon Stewart didn't shy away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP4W3vMN2AU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In the fifties when Frank Aiken was Minister for External Affairs we adopted a very independent stance at the UN, including favouring the admission of Beijing as a member, contrary to US wishes. Then the US government got onto Cardinal Cushing of Boston who got onto the Irish government who asked how high should they jump. Ever since we have been a client state with no independent foreign policy, despite loud protestations to the contrary and self congratulation.
    I fear that Doonbeg will end badly for the locals, especially if the Scottish experience is anything to go by. On the other hand, and I have to confess to a bias here as even "moderate" Republicans give me the shivers, I think it would be a good thing if Trump got the Republican nomination, as I cannot imagine any sane American seeing that video about the Scottish golf club and his bullying of the locals and then voting for him. I would think that the Democrats would ensure that the video was shown coast to coast. Of course if comedy were our priority he could give us hours of entertainment as president, but sadly life is too serious for that and there are more pressing considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Balagan wrote: »
    The owner of a local hotel and golf course is running for President of the US of A which would, in the normal run of events, be an issue we might at least acknowledge and maybe even, wonder of wonders, discuss.

Is the fact that he's giving some employment in the county enough to still our brains and our tongues?

Sean O'Rourke tried to get real with the man when he came to Doonbeg first but was quickly cowed http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/donald-trump-tells-rtes-sean-orourke-off-over-quiff-quiz-30288879.html

We need the jobs and the bucks. On the other hand perhaps we should all stop cowering.

We put up with a lot for the money and always did. We're now twinned with some province in China (great for the exports and to hell with human rights) and we're keeping silent on this very weird man. Jon Stewart didn't shy away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP4W3vMN2AU

I'm over in the US. What the American media portrays vs what the American people think are two very different things. The guy is a f*ckin' arsehole. He could get the Republican nomination due to the simple fact that he's got recognition already. The other candidates on that side are diabolical.

My guess. It will be Clinton vs Bush and it will result in the lowest voter turnout in US history

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If I was in charge, I'd surround doonbeg golf course with a perimeter of the biggest wind turbines I can find just to annoy him

That's probably why nobody should vote for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Feel free to discuss whatever you want but keep it civil, name calling/personal abuse is not permitted on boards and will lead to bans so don't drop to those levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Clareman wrote: »
    Feel free to discuss whatever you want but keep it civil, name calling/personal abuse is not permitted on boards and will lead to bans so don't drop to those levels.

Let's not drop to the level of Donald Trump. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement