Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Zcott wrote: »
    Bottas is worth way more than a Haas drive. He's rumoured to be off to Ferrari if Kimi goes, so we'll just have to wait and see. That opens up a good Williams seat too...

Agreed, I'd give Hulkenberg more stock than a Haas drive too. Either way, I can see Kimi leaving F1 in November, opening a seat for Bottas. I'd love to see Hulkenbeg move up towards the front & take the Williams seat. If I could choose though, I'd put Button in there. I feel he still has much to offer the sport, & it's beyond a shame to have Button & Alonso where they are currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Bottas. Does anyone here think that he will drive alongside Vettel at Ferrari next year?

Yes and I have for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

There are rumours both Hulkenberg and Button are in the running for the Williams seat, and an added rumour that Button might be doing Le Mans for Porsche next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kind of surprised Button isn't already a regular at Le Mans, he seems like the perfect type of driver to do well at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Button is tailor made for LeMans or any type of endurance racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, with Bianchi laid to rest this week, will the podium drivers be expected to forgo the champagne spraying or will they go on as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I hope they have a low-key gesture before the race and get on with racing and celebrate his life by having a proper champagne celebration afterwards!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

astrofluff wrote: »
    I hope they have a low-key gesture before the race and get on with racing and celebrate his life by having a proper champagne celebration afterwards!

I doubt it. Think it will be a quiet affair, can't see them celebrating all smiles and then interviews will surely mention him.
    Re Alonso being too upset to attend funeral. I'm sure there was another reason. I find that one difficult to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Nasr and Ericsson confirmed for Sauber for 2016. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120062
    So far both did not really convince me or is it because Sauber is just going backwards since the start of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's really noticeable the hole left by not having a German GP, 3 weeks gap before Hungary and then the 4 week summer shutdown. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Normal service has resumed, Hungarian GP Race Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JacquesSon

When unlikely events converge to produce a beneficial outcome for all parties, I'm naturally suspicious.

F1 is criticised for being uncompetitive and suddenly you have the most eventful and competitive race in years.

Hamilton was so bad in Hungary, I almost reached for the tin hat.

Instead I'm hopeful the Ferraris are genuinely competitive. I'm tempted to put some money on Vettel for the title. He's a pedigree champion and there's Senna-Mansell gap in class between him and Hamilton. Second half of the season could be epic. :)

JacquesSon wrote: »
    When unlikely events converge to produce a beneficial outcome for all parties, I'm naturally suspicious.

F1 is criticised for being uncompetitive and suddenly you have the most eventful and competitive race in years.

Hamilton was so bad in Hungary, I almost reached for the tin hat.

Instead I'm hopeful the Ferraris are genuinely competitive. I'm tempted to put some money on Vettel for the title. He's a pedigree champion and there's Senna-Mansell gap in class between him and Hamilton. Second half of the season could be epic. :)

I think a lot of the excitement was caused by the bad start of the Mercedes and Lewis blackouts that threw him back. Mercedes was still far faster than Ferrari, especially Hamilton, but what became obvious was that Rosberg cannot compete with Vettel, he is simply no championship winning driver. He will be remembered as someone like Berger, Coulthard, Irvine, Barichello, Massa. Good enough for race wins but in the deciding moments champions like Hamilton, Alonso or Hakkinen will take initiative and take the risk or stay safe. Personally I thought when he argued against the team for the harder compound he wanted to do the same as Hamilton did in Silverstone and make the right choice at the right time. Imo the safe option, but why then fight Riccardo hard if he is clearly faster?

And for all excitement I want to pinpoint that Allison cars usually work best in the heat, Raikönnen at Lotus was shining mostly when the race track was hot. Ferrari might snitch one or two more race wins, but overall I would wonder if Hamilton does not become world champion as the Mercedes is the overall better car, and have not pulled engine development tokens during the season compared to Ferrari. Also I think Rosberg will then break down as he will realise himself that he cannot beat Lewis in normal race conditions and he might look for another cockpit, maybe at RedBull or McLaren to circumvent Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Renault to decide F1 future soon

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-closes-in-on-final-f1-future-decision/

There's rumours that they want to "Do a BAR" by buying out Lotus but letting Lopez keep the Enstone team's F1 entry while Renault take over their old home once more as a "Brand New team". It seems to depend on Bernie allocating "Legacy Payments" to Renault and the amount of money involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm sure that manufacturer bonus would be an extra sweetener for Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I don't know how they cope with the new wheels. Like, how many of those buttons do they actually use on a regular basis in a race? Are some/most of them there because they have to be for setup but not really used much in the race or does the F1 driver actually use most those buttons while racing??

It must be a distraction, I regularly see the drivers changing settings in the middle of a corner which must be a safety issue. Looking at that wheel there's buttons, switches and toggles in places I didn't even know there were buttons. Every available space has some sort of input device.

Jenson Buttons?

As unlikely a solution as a Jenson fuel injector. :)

Harika wrote: »
    I think... Rosberg cannot compete with Vettel, he is simply no championship winning driver. He will be remembered as someone like Berger, Coulthard, Irvine[\b],

Irvine was teammate to the best driver in F1 history. He was on par with Hakkinen as a driver. Irvine would own Lewis Hamilton as a team mate today.

It would be entertaining to watch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The virtual safety and safety car scenarios are beginning to play on mind on how much more beneficial it is to have VSC during a race in lieu of the SC which seems to neutralise a lead-gap advantage.

Having a VSC does mean cars will slow to a delta. During this period the cars might have the option of making a pit stop and less likely losing more places as you would in normal racing. So is it useful to pit during a VSC, and would it be worth while having a VSC for a specified period which will not allow any gain for those who are at the right point of the track. What I mean is, have it exactly for a minimum of 1 lap allowing anyone who wishes to pit to do so!?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

JacquesSon wrote: »
    Irvine was teammate to the best driver in F1 history. He was on par with Hakkinen as a driver. Irvine would own Lewis Hamilton as a team mate today.

It would be entertaining to watch though.

Berger was too team mate of one of the best drivers, and he remembered that for McLaren he was testing all winter long, prepping the car during testing for himself while Senna was on the beach. When he came back, he jumped into the car and destroyed Bergers times.
    Anyway even trough the times, Irvine was never in a commanding position to his team mate, even spare drivers were beating him. /hi Mika Salo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Eddie didn't beat Hakkinen once in 1999 in a straight fight, he prospered off the reliability of the McLaren and did a good job stepping up but let's be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

This made me laugh. Irvine better that Lewis.....not even a chance. I would rate Berger, Hill, Rubens & Massa even above Irvine.

Maybe u forget that the main reason he was leading that yrs Ferrari Championship fight was that was Schumi broke his leg at the British GP. Good competent driver but totally not even near WC level that Lewis/Alonso/Vettel/Kimi are at..... i mean come on.... :|

This made me laugh. Irvine better that Lewis.....not even a chance. I would rate Berger, Hill, Rubens & Massa even above Irvine.

Maybe u forget that the main reason he was leading that yrs Ferrari Championship fight was that was Schumi broke his leg at the British GP. Good competent driver but totally not even near WC level that Lewis/Alonso/Vettel/Kimi are at..... i mean come on.... :|

Hill is fine. The rest requires a lot of convincing. Though it was Massa not being able to find the right place to stop that made the last race so good I guess :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Hill is fine. The rest requires a lot of convincing. Though it was Massa not being able to find the right place to stop that made the last race so good I guess :p

Massa would have been world champion in 2008 if it had not been for some appalling luck eg Hungary /Singapore etc

Infoanon wrote: »
    Massa would have been world champion in 2008 if it had not been for some appalling luck eg Hungary /Singapore etc

What if's/but's/maybe's. If Lewis' gearbox hadn't crapped out in Brazil 08 he would have finished higher than 5th. There's tons of what if's you could apply to 2008, on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

While I would agree that Suchumacher/Hakkinen/Hamilton/etc are on another level to Irvine, I think Irvine does deserve some credit for 1999. Up to and including the British GP, Eddie and Schumacher were level on points. And if I remember correctly, didnt Irvine give a place to Schumacher in France. Had he not done that he actually would've been ahead of Michael in the standing after Silverstone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭T-Bird

JB rumoured to co host Top Gear.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    JB rumoured to co host Top Gear.

Heard that, would much rather see him as part of the BBC F1 crew if he stops racing.

Advertisement