Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family camping summer 2015?

Options
  • 15-04-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have a bit of a thing for looking at tents. I love them, always on the look out for different styles and types.

We have a Royal Pescara 8 and love it. It is ideal for our family size and gives plenty of space for the inevitable rainy days. Hoping to get in at least 2 trips this year, if I get my way it will be more like 4 but just have to wait and see.

So what are you camping in this year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Hi there,

I'm a tent geek too. Yours looks great!

There are some great pages to follow if you are a Facebook user: Under Canvas and Camping With Kids. I love looking at other people's set ups!

We have upgraded after years in the Halfords Family Pack Tent (which in fairness, never let us down but didn't allow for comfortable living) to an Outwell Georgia 5p. We have only done a practice pitch in the garden, but we love it, especially the separate bedrooms for our kids.

We have a short break booked in Ballinacourty House in the Glen of Aherlow, and a longer return trip to Clifden Eco Beach Camping, a site we love.

Happy camping!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tessat

I have no idea how you coped in that Halfords tent, it's my idea of hell. You won't know yourselves in the new tent, the biggest difference is how much heat you retain in the evenings with the sewn in ground sheet. We've started bringing a heater now too as you can really keep heat in at night time and it makes for much more comfortable camping with kids. It means we can dry off damp clothes too. I hope you'll get many years out of it.

We're looking at getting an extra smaller tent for quick nights away as our tent is too big for short trips.

tessat wrote: »
    I have no idea how you coped in that Halfords tent, it's my idea of hell.

We're looking at getting an extra smaller tent for quick nights away as our tent is too big for short trips.

I'm sure we will notice a huge difference! We planned to upgrade a lot sooner, it just never happened. We are keeping the Halford for festivals, such as Electric Picnic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Doing cliffs of moher,rose of tralee.killarney national park and a solo weekend in wicklow up near derrybawn..thats the plan anyway

Wow Mark…..some going.

Report back in on the sites!

• Advertisement

But markc2951, the all important question is, what will you be camping in?
    Sadie, we sold our old tent to upgrade to this one, it was lovely tent, fit 7 very comfortably and you could have gone to 8-9 at a push, the new one just perfect for the 6 of us, we could maybe fit one extra at a push by moving the youngest in with us.
    The amount of space we have is amazing, being able to cook in shelter is fantastic and the warmth in the evening so the kids can sit in with hot chocolate and marshmallows and a movie just makes it. The new tent was one of our best ever decisions.

sadie06 wrote:
    Wow Mark…..some going.

sadie06 wrote:
    Report back in on the sites!

tessat wrote:
    But markc2951, the all important question is, what will you be camping in? Sadie, we sold our old tent to upgrade to this one, it was lovely tent, fit 7 very comfortably and you could have gone to 8-9 at a push, the new one just perfect for the 6 of us, we could maybe fit one extra at a push by moving the youngest in with us. The amount of space we have is amazing, being able to cook in shelter is fantastic and the warmth in the evening so the kids can sit in with hot chocolate and marshmallows and a movie just makes it. The new tent was one of our best ever decisions.

I have the blade 200 2015 model..out last night in it and it held up well in the rain and wind,which im expecting at the cliffs of moher anyway..killarney and rose of tralew is not till the middle of august

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Vango Langley 600 (2015) with ground sheet & carpet - first time campers so no doubt horrendous mistakes will be made :D

Very nice NickTellis, how many of you will be off in your lovely new tent? Are you camping home or abroad? As long as the campsite has decent facilities you should be safe from any horrendous mistakes. If you are using air mattresses bring patches and glue just incase, you won't get a shop open when you find out the bed has a hole in it. After that it should all work out for you.

It'll be myself, herself and our 3 kids (10, 9 & 7) - might be a bit 'cozy' in the pod but I don't mind sleeping in the living area if needed. Doing a few weekend trips at home this year before heading to Italy via France in the car next summer. Will be using self-inflating mats on top of fleece throws on top of foam tiles (room permitting in the boot of course). :D

• Advertisement

You'll be grand, the lay out of that tent is excellent for space, use the first few trips to find out what items are essential for you, it varies for everyone.

Looking at getting an led lantern to hang in the living area of the tent (Vango Langley). Anyone have any idea what the maximum weight of the lantern can be?

Just back from a weekend trip to doolin where i stayed in nagles campsite,great site but very exposed as its right beside the atlantic..

Saturday was the wildest night i ever experienced in a tent.rain and high wind but my vango blade 200 done great.

Cliffs of moher is a great place for scenery although the car park is robbery a €6 a head.

Visited ailwee caves which is super..also done archery on site for kids and adults..€10 I couldnt refuse.

Drove a lot around the burren with a great view at a place called cork screw hill..mental piece of road with 5 or 6 hair pin bends uphill.

Also visited father teds house and got good photos...also visited la hinch which was very windy which the kite surfers enjoyed lol

All in all a great trip to co.clare !

Wow, you got a lot done in a weekend Mark! Thanks for the update. Your tent is made of strong stuff!

I am filling up the hall at the moment as we are off to the Glen of Aherlow tomorrow for two nights. It's really a getting-to-know-our-new-tent trip, so plan to be on-site a lot, with a day trip to the Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle on the cards.

Weather forecast not great, but not terrible either. Just need a break in showers tomorrow to pitch and we should be laughing.

I follow a few camping sites on Facebook and lots of UK campers swearing off camping in May ever again due to coldness at night, so we are bringing extra bedding for warmth.

sadie06 wrote:
    I follow a few camping sites on Facebook and lots of UK campers swearing off camping in May ever again due to coldness at night, so we are bringing extra bedding for warmth.

My bag is rated from 6-18 c ...it got down to around 6 on saturday night and i was borderline cold..

On a good note i know not to use it in autumn as it would be just not good enough.

Let me know how you get on

We have a lovely big Vango double sleeping bag, had to open it up on Saturday night as it was getting a bit warm.

We brought the brand spanking new Vango Mersea 3 out for the first time to Slane and it mostly survived the weather and the muck.
    I was so disappointed with the campsite though, the toilets were vile and clearly not looked at by staff for the entire weekend. I was ignored when I complained by email when we got home, so the planned trip back up there with the kids at the end of the month is off and we're definitely going to Newgrange instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Quick query folks. Family size has increased from 2 to 4 (courtesy of now two year old twins). Looking to upgrade tent to something comfortable for us all 2Adults 4 kids. Where do you find best for purchasing tents ?

dixierip wrote:
    Quick query folks. Family size has increased from 2 to 4 (courtesy of now two year old twins). Looking to upgrade tent to something comfortable for us all 2Adults 4 kids. Where do you find best for purchasing tents ?

53 degrees north is where i buy all my gear inc a recent tent.you wouldnt go wrong with a vango beta 550 xl.

There was one pitched beside me last saturday night during wind and rain and it was solid

We buy in O.Meara's, excellent value and if you go to the store you can walk around the tents so you can see the actual living space. Their customer service is second to none. They will take the time to walk around with you and find something to suit your family, We've a Royal Pescara but you'd need 3 adults or at least an extra "big" child to be able to pitch is so it wouldn't suit you.

You'll need something with a decent living space and probably a good sized porch for camping in the rain with smallies.
    The Royal Atlanta range is very good and you can add a porch which is very handy for keeping the kitchen separate. I'd highly recommend going to physical shops and walking around the tents before you buy.

I've bought camping accessories from both the places already mentioned and was very pleased with the customer service in both. I have also bought from Charles Camping in Blessington, who have a decent showroom.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update to give feedback on Ballinacourty House in the Glen of Aherlow. Lovely small site, exceptionally quiet (apart from the loudest and most spectacular dawn chorus ever) and seems to attract older groups in tourers who pull in for one night and head off again.

Facilities are fine, but the campers kitchen could do with a clean. It wouldn't take much to make it inviting.

We ate in the restaurant onsite (a separate business apparently) and it was of a very high standard. Two tier menu of €22.50 or €32.50 for 4 courses.

It's all about the walks really. Loads of suggested loops of various levels of difficulty locally. Views are spectacular!

We also took a trip to the Rock of Cashel (and gained entry for free as OPW Sites are free to the public on the first Wednesday of every month…who knew?) and I would highly recommend the guided tour. Fascinating, and again, wonderful views from its elevated position.

Can't wait for Clifden in July, but might try to sneak a weekend in Wicklow before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

markc2951 wrote: »
    53 degrees north is where i buy all my gear

Extremely expensive shop though, isn't it? Whenever I saw something I wanted in there, I found that I could get it for about half price (including shipping) if I browsed on line for a bit...

If a shop buys something for 10 and sells it for 30 or 40, that's ok with me. But if a shop buys something for 10 and sells it for 100, you have been ripped off. In my humble opinion.

unkel wrote:
    Extremely expensive shop though, isn't it? Whenever I saw something I wanted in there, I found that I could get it for about half price (including shipping) if I browsed on line for a bit...

unkel wrote:
    If a shop buys something for 10 and sells it for 30 or 40, that's ok with me. But if a shop buys something for 10 and sells it for 100, you have been ripped off. In my humble opinion.

Anything i bought was the same price elsewere.
    Maybe a tent online is €30 cheaper.reason being its last years model without you knowing..

Just booked 2 nights in Morriscastle in Wexford for a sneaky break in July. Anyone been before? As the Glen of Aherlow was more suited to our taste, we thought we'd go somewhere a bit more lively for the children for a weekend.

I'm determined to get out and camp as much as possible this season, and to different types of sites.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Morriscastle is terrific. It's one site that you will likely return to again and again.

On a true wildcamp tonight with my son 7 and nephew 6..some random woods outside my village.midges are out in force

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

In buying a cooler box is it best to get a car charger one, one that can charge off mains and car or just a basic one with ice bags. I see Halfords have some but the mains/car charger one is very big.
    Here is the Halfords 40L box.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212490&productId=924835&storeId=11101
    I see that the 12v car charger cable is over 2 metres long. Could this mean the cooler could be placed in the boot and the cable brought through the back seat. Thus no noise and not taking up space in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

sadie06 wrote: »
    Just booked 2 nights in Morriscastle in Wexford for a sneaky break in July. Anyone been before? As the Glen of Aherlow was more suited to our taste, we thought we'd go somewhere a bit more lively for the children for a weekend.

I'm determined to get out and camp as much as possible this season, and to different types of sites.

We were their last weekend for 2 nights - our first time, kids 8, 5, 5. They had a ball. The dunes are lovely, facilities clean, niamh mgr on site is great.

This is our second year camping, last year we did Hidden Valley 2 nights, Silver Strand 3 nights, Eagle Point 8 nights and Nore Valley 3 nights.

Hope to hit Kerry, Cavan and Fermanagh this year and Nore Valley again in September...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭schtinggg

Hey campers,
    just back from a long weekend in Tramore. Newtown Cove site was pretty good apart from some noisy neighbors who thought the whole site would find their jokes funny. A right pain in the arse. Anyway, the heavens opened up with gusto on Friday night but the old 4 man Urban Escape held up fine. Whilst myself & the kids (9 & 11) have done plenty of off-site camping this was a first time on a site for me - never again. On the other hand - hats off to my wife who spent the first nights of her life under canvas. Before we took off I had visions of wobblies if no socket for a hairdryer could be found - but in all fairness, she was great. I'll tell you something else too: the cooker (double gas plate) we got from Aldi the other week was great. I'd usually bounce between a single burner and my trusty old army issue Trangia, but this thing was the business.
    Here's to many more nights out with the clan.

Advertisement