Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best USB Charger for in vehicle charging?

• 17-01-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    looking to get a USB charger that's mainly for my phone but it would be nice to have the option to charge higher power items too if needed and if it's going to cost an extra £2 per charger, that's fine. I don't want something big and bulky and already have a regular 3 pin inverter so just something small and compact for USB charging is needed.

I already have this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0042AP7F2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A37XFMI9DD5A57 and it does the job and comes with a nice sturdy quality cable too but my friend pointed out it's only 1.2amp (or 1200mah - I haven't a clue about any of this stuff)

There is then some very highly rated and reviewed "powergen" models from amazon.

2.4 amp - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GX5ORL4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H9QVQ3445GSN

3.6 amp - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088U6OZY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H9QVQ3445GSN

4.2 amp - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088U4YAG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H9QVQ3445GSN

Am I better off just going for the 4.2 amp one? Very well reviewed as the rest of them are, I just don't want to blow my phone or charge it badly and damage the battery but at the same time would like a decent unit that will have no problems charging whatever is put to it.

It also seems like it doesn't give any audio interference which I've had from other chargers based on this review, but is the fuse issue something to worry about I wonder?
    Although car chargers can be quite cheap I did a lot of research because I wanted something that could handle the higher power demands of more 'modern' devices, which are getting more hungry as people want more CPU and battery technology is allowing them to be. There are 5 of us in our family.

The build is solid and clicks snuggly into my 35mm socket. The connectors fit tight with solid electrical connections. The LED is useful to confirm the lighter socket is delivering power. There is no radio interference which some reviewers report for other chargers, and because other reviewers didn't mention interference is the second reason I bought this one. Phew.

I have done some brief tests and it does not disappoint, but not yet spent any time confirming the ratings.

Now the confusing part. Why does it have a 5 Amp fuse?

The fuse is a F5AL250V, which is a 5A quick blow 20mm fuse, accessible via the screw on tip. I checked this out because reviewers of other chargers say either their electronics blow or the fuse does. I was not particularly worried because nobody reported this charger blowing anything.

The web description says the input is 1000mA 1A and the leaflet that comes in the box says 1.8A. If it is delivering 3.6A at 5V, which is 18W, that is 1.5A at 12V and 0.75A at 24V. That is my only concern. It should not need more than 1.5A therefore I would expect 2A fuse. If it is capable of handling 1.8A at 12v then it may deliver 4.32A total output!!!

I think I will get myself a spare fuse.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This one is Tidier:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veetop%C2%AE-Speed-Charger-3-1Amp-15-5W/dp/B00FSUJ0PS/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Has output for Android(Generic) and iPhone.

Also this
    http://www.amazon.de/Wicked-Chili-Smartphone-Schnellader-Blackberry/dp/B004ULE5B0/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1389961311&sr=1-9&keywords=usb+auto+ladeger%C3%A4t

Unless you are charging a tablet you won't need over 2 amps.

I'd get one that fits flush in the socket, wouldn't be arsed with that one that sticks out.

What kind of stereo system do you have ? Does it use M.O.S.T ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

One of the most common issues we have on cars is the fuse blowing in the 12v socket. Whether thats caused by chargers with too high an amp rating or not, I'm not sure, but based on that I'd be tempted to go for a lower output one.

I'm using one that I found in a car - looks like a €5 job from the bargin bin somewhere, but phone gets plugged in for an hour on the way in to work, and an hour on the way home, and that keeps me going all week - fairly heavy phone usage during the day, calls, mail, data, browsing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. Yeah they look nice alright, but I'd like something capable of handling larger power requirements too. It'll be for use in vans and I may have customers going on long journeys with their tablets etc so would like to have something powerful enough to keep a tablet and phone going at the same time even.

Besides the bulkiness of the 4.2 amp one, what do you think of the general power ratings etc?

I haven't a clue what M.O.S.T. is unfortunately, the head unit with the buzzing noise was bought in Lidl to give you an idea :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah they look nice alright, but I'd like something capable of handling larger power requirements too. It'll be for use in vans and I may have customers going on long journeys with their tablets etc so would like to have something powerful enough to keep a tablet and phone going at the same time even.

Besides the bulkiness of the 4.2 amp one, what do you think of the general power ratings etc?

I haven't a clue what M.O.S.T. is unfortunately, the head unit with the buzzing noise was bought in Lidl to give you an idea :o

Not MOST then :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOST_Bus

:)

I'd say you'd be grand with 2 amps.

The Device will only draw what it can draw.

Ah that's cool it only draws what it needs, so may as well go for the 4.2? what do you think? :D Besides the look of it of course...

For the noise issue, I've found these two vids which might help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

You have an inverter connected while you have that noise? Disconnect, see if noise disappears?
    Is your business a cover for driving an NSA spy van - you seem to have a lotta electrical things going on! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

iPhone draws 1 amp on a charge, iPad draws 2.1 amps, so even if your capable of outputting 4.2 amps, it won't matter unless you are charging two simultaneously i.e. The device will limit how much current it will draw, it won't pull 4.2 amps even if that is available.

Also, don't buy cheap. A cheap USB charger will have a noisy, spikey output which will damage the sensitive charge circuitry and the battery itself of a modern phone.

Thanks again for the replies. ROR, like yourself the chargers would be used quite a bit in general and the worst time to have a cheapo one is when the battery goes dead and you need a quick charge, enough to make a phone call at least and turn the phone back on. I know I'd probably still get that with the 1amp, but sure if the 4.2 amp will charge 2 ipads at once and not be any risk to anything in the mix, I may as well just go for that I guess? :)

SleeperService, nah don't worry, the inverter is very rarely used, only if I'm out with my laptop and the laptop needs to be kept going I'll stick it in the inverter and have the engine running. You are right about the gadgets, but it's a business built online so I need to keep it somewhat techy and I need my music too :D

Thanks ironclaw, £7 doesn't seem too cheap, what do you think? Seems to have some very good ratings and a lot of them and I don't really see any higher quality ones either, also it is mentioned it doesn't have a noisy output, although I'm not sure if my understanding of noise (interferes with music) is the same as yours?

So if nobody has any last minute reasons not to get the 4.2, I think I'll go for it :) All this over something for £7 :D Although I'll be buying a few of them :)

Thanks ironclaw, £7 doesn't seem too cheap, what do you think? Seems to have some very good ratings and a lot of them and I don't really see any higher quality ones either, also it is mentioned it doesn't have a noisy output, although I'm not sure if my understanding of noise (interferes with music) is the same as yours?

No, noise and spikes in the current flow. Basically you want a really smooth and even supply of current from charger. Basically a cheap charger will send current like waves on a beach at the phone, while a decent charger will have a smooth flow like a river. A bad output from the charger will cause problems for the phone battery eventually i.e. If you using that charger every day. But to be fair, its a bigger problem with wall socket chargers which have terrible outputs and can really, really damage a phone.

Also, you might want to check your fuses. If your pulling the full 4.2 amps and you only have a 5 amp fuse, with a decent spike you could end up blowing it. Also, 4.2 Amps is a decent load to be pulling so I wouldn't recommend having them charing with the car switched off for a period of time.

Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks a lot for that, makes sense to me. I don't think I'll ever fully understand electronics though :)

I'll go for it so, it will probably on ever be once in a blue moon that the 4.2 will be in use, if ever, so hopefully no blown fuses to worry about :) That reminds me, think I'll get a few spare fuses while I'm at it!

Should be fine cormie. Generally the 12V cigarette ports are on a 10 to 20 amp fuse. But best to check as people often change them and put in any thing in its place. Always put in what the manufacturer recommends however.

Thanks again for your great help :)

Got the 4.2 adapters delivered today, they are actually a lot more sleeker than they look in the picture and smaller too.

Unfortunately they didn't solve the noise issue so I'll have to look into that more now :(

Got the 4.2 adapters delivered today, they are actually a lot more sleeker than they look in the picture and smaller too.

Unfortunately they didn't solve the noise issue so I'll have to look into that more now :(

As a quick check for noise, double check anything that was added aftermarket i.e. Radios etc is properly grounded. Sometimes its as simple as a bad earth connection.

I'll have to get someone else to check that for me, I'm useless :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I got a generic in car mini USB charger for my Note 2 in Maxol where I work and it's brilliant. No noise and charges it just as fast as it does at home in the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I ordered x3 of these to replace all the lighter sockets in my car:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0070Z9F7C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not high output but fine for phones.

I got a generic in car mini USB charger for my Note 2 in Maxol where I work and it's brilliant. No noise and charges it just as fast as it does at home in the wall.

Yeah, I've tried the one I got on a few different vehicles and there's noise from one and not the other so I think it must be something to do with the head unit setup.
    I ordered x3 of these to replace all the lighter sockets in my car:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0070Z9F7C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not high output but fine for phones.

They look pretty sleek alright but I need my sockets for a host of other ****e in the van:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I bought a kit in Curries for a tenner. 2amp charger that I use a USB2.0 cable in.

Charges my phone and tablets pretty fast. I've a Nexus 4 phone and Nexus 7 tablet, two of which have VERY finicky charging and require solid charging to avoid going pure flat.

Had problems with a number of chargers beforehand before getting a kit in curries which did the trick, not a hiccup since

• Advertisement
Advertisement