Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best first car.?

Options
  • 23-07-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

lads see loads of buks on about civics being a b***h to insure etc. so wats the best cheap car for a first one.? ive seen corsas wit redtop 2.0l engine and 1l on the book and wen done right can look pretty nice wats yer opinons.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Jesus.. the irony of "buks"..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Angus4life wrote: »
    lads see loads of buks on about civics being a b***h to insure etc. so wats the best cheap car for a first one.? ive seen corsas wit redtop 2.0l engine and 1l on the book and wen done right can look pretty nice wats yer opinons.?

Get a small jap car.. Starlet micra yaris... Corsas are shyte boxes and civics are scobemobiles.
    Colt or a Mazda 3 good options too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

My opinion would be not to touch a 2.0l Corsa with 1.0l on the ''book'' for starters.

Best way to go about getting a first car is go small and go Japanese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I second 166man and as for the comment about the civic above take it with a pinch of salt most skangers nowadays are driving passats and golfs sorry to say. A civic is a great car and insurance is not bad at all on them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

i got quoted 1400 wit my aoul ladys on a 1.3 eg civic today. not bad at alll i think :) drop a 1.5 dohc v-tec in her and she be grand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

1.5 dohc v-tec

I dont think that engine ever existed.

Its VTEC not v-tec vtee or anything else.

The mind boggles about the rest of your post.
    The sad fact is i'm not sure if your just trolling or you're the average Irish 18yr old fella?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Ford fiesta, probably the best handling of any small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I reckon handling and brakes are the last thing on this bucks mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

my first car was a ka and honestly the best car i ever had. cheap to tax and insure and never had a single ounce of trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Drop in a Puma 1.7 and keep it as a 1.2 on the book. Be graaaand :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

padma wrote: »
    I second 166man and as for the comment about the civic above take it with a pinch of salt most skangers nowadays are driving passats and golfs sorry to say. A civic is a great car and insurance is not bad at all on them either.

Spot on... My post should have said the civic was the scangermobile of choice during the Celtic tiger.. A great car too.

If your hellbent on "dropping" a bigger engine into it to compensate whatever is missing from your life at the moment,then you may aswell not be worried about insurance costs as no matter how much you pay for it you will be paying again once you have an accident.

So give the insurance a skip and have a few extra quid for a bigger lump.
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Start off with a 1.25 Fiesta, don't be a twat and do an engine swap.

It may be slow, but they handle really well (Don't chop springs or fit 17s)

Senna wrote: »
    I dont think that engine ever existed.

Its VTEC not v-tec vtee or anything else.

The mind boggles about the rest of your post.
    The sad fact is i'm not sure if your just trolling or you're the average Irish 18yr old fella?

shud have said 1.6 but i dunno wats hard to understand about the rest of the post simply said u could put a new engine in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dgt wrote: »
    Drop in a Puma 1.7 and keep it as a 1.2 on the book. Be graaaand :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or you could just get a 1.7 puma. Dirt cheap to insure since they were left alone by the scanger brigade.

a 1995 fiesta boxy shape are hard to come buy these days..thats wat i wud get if i was,, not too keen on the the 1997-2001 model.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

shud have said 1.6 but i dunno wats hard to understand about the rest of the post simply said u could put a new engine in it..

Txtspk isn't well received here.

haha are you an English teacher.? :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you can't get the engine right in a discussion, an engine swap isn't going to end well.

lads a typo im not that slow.. but thanks for the useful info.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Just buy something quick like a 330Ci and insure it as a 1 litre Micra. Same difference as to what you're thinking of.

• Advertisement

Worrying about the cost of insurance, then choosing high insurance options, or suggesting engine swaps, then reverting back cheap old cars, makes no sense. So its hard for anyone to take that seriously.

If money is an issue then, the smart thing to do it pick a car that's cheap to insure, fun to drive, but not fast that you'll end up going backwards through a hedge at some point. Gain experience till your insurance drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus the spelling and grammar in some of these posts is making my eyes bleed...

I started on a Fiesta, cheap enough to insure and simple to drive, it's all you need really... (my first one was a mad purple too :o )

a 1995 fiesta boxy shape are hard to come buy these days..thats wat i wud get if i was,, not too keen on the the 1997-2001 model.:rolleyes:

The Puma is based on the 1997-2001 fiesta, its the best handling fiesta.

dulpit wrote: »
    Jesus the spelling and grammar in some of these posts is making my eyes bleed...

I started on a Fiesta, cheap enough to insure and simple to drive, it's all you need really... (my first one was a mad purple too :o )

im think going the fiesta starlet route.. they are cool enough and small compact, easy to get used to in towns etc. and 1.3 isnt going to be mad money to insure. civic will have to wait till the insurance companies give a quote less then the value of the car.:)

FYI - SKANGER ME BANGER on youtube isn't a real show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BostonB wrote: »
    The Puma is based on the 1997-2001 fiesta, its the best handling fiesta.

I can second that the mk4 fiesta is a cracker in the bends.

Watch out for rust though

Advertisement