Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

25plus.ie Insurance

Options
  • 26-08-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My insurance is out on the 11th of december. I'll be 25 on the 18th.

My question is, can I let my insurance lapse, wait a week without driving and get insured with 25plus without losing my NCB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yes, NCB is normally valid for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cheers!

Never have I seen such a fast reply :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi all,

My question is, can I let my insurance lapse, wait a week without driving and get insured with 25plus without losing my NCB?

You could just extend your policy by a week, i had to do it when i was renewing my policy this year. As far as i remember it was free too!

You could just extend your policy by a week, i had to do it when i was renewing my policy this year. As far as i remember it was free too!

Thanks for that Alan. I want to get my alloys powdercoated though so I think it'll be a good idea to just leave the car parked up for a week and get that done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You have a grace period of something like ten days after your policy ends to get new cover anyway with some (most?) insurance companies.

I got a quote off 25 plus 2 years ago, took it, got sent out the disks, forms, details and 3 days into the policy they range me to say they were cancelling it as they didn't cover the car. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    You have a grace period of something like ten days after your policy ends to get new cover anyway with some (most?) insurance companies.

I got a quote off 25 plus 2 years ago, took it, got sent out the disks, forms, details and 3 days into the policy they range me to say they were cancelling it as they didn't cover the car. :rolleyes:

Are insurance companies not legally obliged to stay covering a car once insurance is initiated like that?

What car had you at the time??

Are insurance companies not legally obliged to stay covering a car once insurance is initiated like that?

Possibly,

UK Integra Type R

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I was under the same impression. Once they agree to take you on they cant cancel the policy as far as I know.

Then again they are a law onto themselves, so you could have fought it but probably still wouldnt have gotten anywhere.

It would be an interesting case tho if you chose to persue them on the basis that you had bought the car on the basis of the policy you had just received.

Possibly,

UK Integra Type R

Aw crap :( even less chance for me so!!

Aw crap :( even less chance for me so!!

They were new at the time and the underwriters they used refused to cover the Integra as it was "red flagged", I doubt its the same story with the Rx-8

• Advertisement

They were new at the time and the underwriters they used refused to quote the Integra as it was "red flagged", I doubt its the same story with the Rx-8

I don't know lad, when I first got it a lot of insurance companies said that they didn't insure the car. Although I just got an online quote of 800 squid.

Problem is it didn't give me the option to say it was a Jap import or that I have 4 penalty points.

Woohoo!! 900 posts!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Most insurance companies in this country have a hangup about Type R Integras. I must have rang about 20 companies and brokers and got 3 quotes; Brittan just pulled a large number out of their arse, ARB gave an expectedly high quote and Setanta came back with a decent quote. Certain cars just seem to be a no-no for insurance companies. Imprezas are the same.

djimi wrote: »
    Most insurance companies in this country have a hangup about Type R Integras. I must have rang about 20 companies and brokers and got 3 quotes; Brittan just pulled a large number out of their arse, ARB gave an expectedly high quote and Setanta came back with a decent quote. Certain cars just seem to be a no-no for insurance companies. Imprezas are the same.

Setanta seem to be very good. I'm currently insured with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't know lad, when I first got it a lot of insurance companies said that they didn't insure the car. Although I just got an online quote of 800 squid.
    €800? Sounds like an excess of €1000... :( ...or what is the excess?

the_syco wrote: »
    €800? Sounds like an excess of €1000... :( ...or what is the excess?

I selected €300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Hi all,

I was in the same position as you last year - 24 yr old with an RX up for insurance, but a month off 25! I ended up paying for a month with Aviva, and then moved to 25plus.ie

Safest way I reckon.

I was in the same position as you last year - 24 yr old with an RX up for insurance, but a month off 25! I ended up paying for a month with Aviva, and then moved to 25plus.ie

Safest way I reckon.

Do you mind me asking how many years NCB and penalty points you had and what the vehicle value was? Also, what was the premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Do you mind me asking how many years NCB and penalty points you had and what the vehicle value was? Also, what was the premium?

I can NEVER remember how many NCB i have, but im 90% sure I had 4 years, with 0 penalty points. And i think the my insurance ended up at €918 then. I'm away for the weekend in 20mins, but i can check on monday what my premium was if needs be.

Afaik, 2 penalty points won't make a difference, couldn't say if 4 will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Just a heads up, In theory, there are no days grace with private motor insurance companies, they may extend cover only if you are renewing with that same company. If you renew elsewhere, your cover will finish on your renewal date.

Advertisement