Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying uk reg car in dublin - insurance before vrt?

• 17-08-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi. Couldn't find a similar thread. Sorry if there is one.

Im looking at buying a used car in Dublin that is UK reg. The guy selling it moved from the north with his family and is looking to sell it instead of paying the vrt.

How do I deal with insuring it from the time I buy it till the time the VRT is sorted?

Does the change of ownership form have to go to the north?

Any other things I should look out for?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quinn will insure it without any bother, but not every other insurer will. You get the entire V5 off him and give that to Revenue when VRTing it with a receipt from him - this will do as proof of ownership.

In theory yer man is breaking the law by selling it to you in the Republic, by the way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Thats interesting. Iv seen a few uk reg cars for sale over the border. The guy has a full log book and forms so im guessing he has the V5.

Do I need to declare it once I buy it like as if I was bring one into the country?

Since its a private sale, what kind of reciept should I ask for?

Also, how long should I get insured on the UK plates for? How long does it take to get the VRT sorted and get the IRL plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It would be a WHOLE lot easier for you to get him to register it. He won't have to pay VRT until he sells it to you, but that will obviously push the price up. Essentially you have none of the dealing with Revenue issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You should (emphasis on should) be able to just change the recorded reg with the insurance company when its on the Irish plates to there'd be no need to guess how long it'll take to get the Irish plates.

All going well you get your Irish reg number the same day you go in to the VRO, so if you bought it on a weekday and went in and regged it then you'd be able to get it on white plates there and then.

I don't mind dealing with the revenue. The process seems simple enough from what iv read online. Im also kinda curious to see how the process works.

Il give an insurance company a call tomorrow and see what they tell me.
    Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I bought my BMW 525tds in the north last year.

All I did was phone Quinn, give them the northern reg and I was covered. Once I imported it, I called them up again and they changed the reg no bother.

As for importing it, as long as you have the full logbook (like 1 folded A3 sheet), that was all I had. Customs want that, your PPS number and the VRT payment and they'll keep the logbook. If you only get the slip, you'll have to write to the DVLA/DVLNI to get the full one.

You'll get a A4 sheet for the tax-office from customs, which will allow you to fully import it. You need to wait 24 hours though for the VRT to get it into the system. This also states your registation number, so you can get new reg plates.

Once you show up with that sheet at the tax-office you can pay your roadtax and fully import the vehicle. Shannon will send you the ROI logbook within a few days (or weeks :) ).

Once you receive the logbook you'll have to NCT the vehicle then. You could also NCT the vehicle with the temp cert, but there's no rush and should garda stop you, they know the procedure themselves.

Hope this helps.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

you could always put it on a trailer, take it straight to revenue and then insure it.

Thats great info Marlow, cheers.

The only thing that has me worried now is that its being sold in Dublin. Will customs ask where I bought it in the UK or something like that? Figure I will give them a call too.

Thats great info Marlow, cheers.

The only thing that has me worried now is that its being sold in Dublin. Will customs ask where I bought it in the UK or something like that? Figure I will give them a call too.

They can't check where you bought it. The address on the papers is most likely somebody in the north or UK. What they don't know, doesn't hurt them. They are unlikely to ask. As long as you have the full logbook and a receipt, that's it. If you're in doubt, make the seller put his address in the north on the receipt, not the one in Dub.

*EDIT* Before I forget it: I'm importing a german VW Caravelle at the moment, that I bought of german fella in Co. Carlow. Receipt stated his address in Carlow. Customs didn't care at all in Galway. All they want is the VRT :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Marlow wrote: »
    As for importing it, as long as you have the full logbook (like 1 folded A3 sheet), that was all I had. Customs want that, your PPS number and the VRT payment and they'll keep the logbook. If you only get the slip, you'll have to write to the DVLA/DVLNI to get the full one.

Hmm, I left the seller with the full V5C form as he was deregistering a private plate at the same time as the sale but took a full colour copy of it as well as an original signed "New Keeper Supplement" slip. I also have a signed letter from both parties indicating the sale.

The V5C infact states only the New Keeper Supplement is required to export the Vehicle, which was the only reason I agreed to this. Usually I would leave with all the paperwork.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Hmm, I left the seller with the full V5C form as he was deregistering a private plate at the same time as the sale but took a full colour copy of it as well as an original signed "New Keeper Supplement" slip. I also have a signed letter from both parties indicating the sale.

The V5C infact states only the New Keeper Supplement is required to export the Vehicle, which was the only reason I agreed to this. Usually I would leave with all the paperwork.

Not enough with the VRO here in the republic, but you can write to the DVLA or DVLNI to get the full send to you. It's just a whole lot more straight forward, if you have the full logbook.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Matt Simis wrote: »

That only applies where the UK owner is permanently exporting the vehicle, e.g. he's moving abraod and taking it with him - it does not apply to selling the car to someone outside the UK. It states on the DVLA site , that where the vehicle is being sold out of the UK, that the new owner will usually need ALL the V5 for their (i.e. our) Customs, and that the UK owner just has to advise DVLA of the export. Actually, they don't even need to use a form - a written note will do. I've bought vehicles - including from a serving PC - and he didn't believe me, either. One phone call from him to DVLA from his sitting room, on a Sat morning, later, and even he did.

The personal plate thing is a bit more complicated - my last uk car had one, and I fubar'd that process. Essentially, the car should have a new age-related plate on it, and the personal one re-allocated, before it leaves the UK. That way the V5 will have the age-related plate when you bring it in (and will be subsquently cancelled when Revenue here inform DVLA it's been re-reg'd here...), and the UK owner will have his personal plate for re-use. In my case what happened, is that it got exported with the personal plate, re-reg'd here, and then DVLA subsequently cancelled the private plate in the UK...... The seller didn't care, but I'd had an offer of GBP£500 for the plate, so it was my loss......:o

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Marlow wrote: »
    .......... You need to wait 24 hours though for the VRT to get it into the system. This also states your registation number, so you can get new reg plates.

....if the model is already on the Revenue database, there's no waiting - you'll have the reg before you even hand over the €€€. You can collect plates from a factor's before you even leave town.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....if the model is already on the Revenue database, there's no waiting - you'll have the reg before you even hand over the €€€. You can collect plates from a factor's before you even leave town.

It was more the taxing afterwards, not the VRT i was referring to.

/M

Advertisement