Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320d

Options
  • 17-03-2008 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Am looking for the old E46 model with about 50,000 up on it. Anyone give a price I should be looking for. Would I get anything under 17,500 Euros ?

How is it like to drive. Plenty of power from the diesel engine. Being a BMW I'm guessing its nice through the corners ?

I was originally thinking of a 1.9 TDi A4 but I found no value in the Audi market at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

You'll definitely get something for under 17,500 - price is entirely dependent on spec / year. I'd almost always take in a UK car personally - nice one here http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/367355.htm , but theres plenty of choice out there.

I love the way they drive, some others don't - so make sure you have a decent drive in one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

£ 7,000 seems good value alright. Awkward having to get it back from UK not to mention having to go registering it here and everything ?

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Awkward having to get it back from UK not to mention having to go registering it here and everything ?

Far from it - cheap flight in, buyer almost always picks you up from airport. Then a nice drive on decent roads to the ferryport and you can sit back and relax. Takes an hour at your local VRT office to get it cleared.

Thats assuming you've had the car checked before you head over - by AA etc, and have a HPI check done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Am looking for the old E46 model with about 50,000 up on it. Anyone give a price I should be looking for. Would I get anything under 17,500 Euros ?

How is it like to drive. Plenty of power from the diesel engine. Being a BMW I'm guessing its nice through the corners ?

I was originally thinking of a 1.9 TDi A4 but I found no value in the Audi market at all.

It's not a bad car at all, the face lifted ones have 150bhp and are smoother than the pre-facelift 136bhp ones, but the earlier 150 ones were known to have turbo problems. It came in a coupe version as well (320cd), but probably not within your budget. Put some lowering springs on it, and it will handle very nicely.

If you're importing, I'd say waiting till after July would make a lot more sense - the road tax could be a quarter of the current price.

eoin_s wrote: »
    If you're importing, I'd say waiting till after July would make a lot more sense - the road tax could be a quarter of the current price.

Nope - the clarification on the new tax laws mean the road tax will be CC based unless the car is Jan 08 or newer. Although the VRT may very well be a good bit lower!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Not to mention the VRT-the emissions on the 320d will mean significant savings come July 1st (my friend is looking at buying the coupe in the UK at the moment).

To the OP-importing is no real hassle-much more choice and quality in the UK-well worth the trip IMHO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kdevitt wrote: »
    Nope - the clarification on the new tax laws mean the road tax will be CC based unless the car is Jan 08 or newer. Although the VRT may very well be a good bit lower!

Oh, I didn't hear about that, must check the sticky...

Thanks for all the info guys.

Is the Coupe version worth the extra bit of money. Do you get much more car for your money ?

Is the Coupe version worth the extra bit of money. Do you get much more car for your money ?

Not too sure - you may get sports suspension, and a nicer trim level but you will probably be paying a big premium. You'd probably get a really smart saloon for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

you will definately get a good one for that i have owned 2 320d saloons great cars great to drive with loads of power , look in england try www.autotrader.co.uk and use postcode SA72 6DN thats the docks in wales i have bought 5 cars over the years in england never any trouble always better spec value and better kept, if you go for the 320d you should consider getting the ecu remapped or chipped well worth it getd you up near 180 bhp and same fuel consumption serious difference :D, if you can get one made after september 03 before that they had turbo trouble just getting a facelifted one wont do because they came out in late 01 , i have owned 4 bmw's over the years have a 06 330i se now that has serious power 272 BHP:D but i cant recommend the 320d enough probably the best all round car i have ever owned and once you go BMW youl never go back i had an audi briefly but nowhere near as good

• Advertisement

davy_b wrote: »
    if you can get one made after september 03 before that they had turbo trouble just getting a facelifted one wont do because they came out in late 01

The early 150bhp engine was prone to the turbo problems, but the 136bhp (pre-facelift) versions didn't have the same problems - so a facelift is less a guarantee if anything. That said, the OPs budget is definitely at the newer end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, its a personal thing with Coupes......some like the sleek sporty styling etc.
    For me, you get less for your € , less doors, sometimes less rear legroom and/or bootspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesel E46 Coupe only arrived in late 2003 or early 2004 afaik. I'd say the OP could be hard pushed to find a decent one within his budget. Any I have browsed over here or accross the Irish Sea were going for alot more.

davy_b wrote: »
    you will definately get a good one for that i have owned 2 320d saloons great cars great to drive with loads of power , look in england try www.autotrader.co.uk and use postcode SA72 6DN thats the docks in wales i have bought 5 cars over the years in england never any trouble always better spec value and better kept, if you go for the 320d you should consider getting the ecu remapped or chipped well worth it getd you up near 180 bhp and same fuel consumption serious difference :D, if you can get one made after september 03 before that they had turbo trouble just getting a facelifted one wont do because they came out in late 01 , i have owned 4 bmw's over the years have a 06 330i se now that has serious power 272 BHP:D but i cant recommend the 320d enough probably the best all round car i have ever owned and once you go BMW youl never go back i had an audi briefly but nowhere near as good

Are BMW's that good to drive. I've only ever really drive Focuses and an A4. Really that much better ?

I'll prob give up on the Coupe. No value there at all. Plenty of value with the 4 door though.

Are BMW's that good to drive. I've only ever really drive Focuses and an A4. Really that much better ?

How old was the A4? I drove a late 90s one for a short while, and found it really boring.

The 320d isn't bad at all - I have a 2000 one with Eibach Pro lowering springs, and it handles pretty well and is a nice drive overall. I wouldn't get 18" wheels again though.

There are loads for sale - bring one for a test drive and make up your own mind.
    I'll prob give up on the Coupe. No value there at all. Plenty of value with the 4 door though.

Yes, more value in a BMW saloon v a BMW coupe - but you are paying a premium for the badge. In this case, it's an excellent engine, but have a good look at the competition - Mondeo TDCI / Alfa 159 JTD etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

In a word - YES.
    The chassis set up on Bmw's is top notch - and the weight distribution is terrific. Also, the cabins are designed around the driver - i'vd had bm's, one was a lovely 530d m-sport - and at night inside- its was like a fighter pilots cockpit......stunning motor.

Some will say - awwwww, they are not worth the money....and you're paying for the badge....etc.

I dont agree..........they are not called the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE for nothing!
    Take one for a test drive..........a long test drive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Cargiant.co.uk

Wouldn't go anywhere else.

Brought in a 04 320d friday. About 8000 worth of extras. Cream leather, cruise control, parking sensors, bluetooth, multi function sw, xenon lights. Even including VRT I saved about 6500 euro compared to equivalent cars with that spec in irish garages

If you wait until July 1st to VRT it you will save about 3000-3500 euro. Its now 7100 to vrt it (@30%) and will be 3600 after july (16%)

Make sure to get a HPI check before you touch it

Hope this helps you :)

In a word - YES.
    The chassis set up on Bmw's is top notch - and the weight distribution is terrific. Also, the cabins are designed around the driver - i'vd had bm's, one was a lovely 530d m-sport - and at night inside- its was like a fighter pilots cockpit......stunning motor.

Some will say - awwwww, they are not worth the money....and you're paying for the badge....etc.

I dont agree..........they are not called the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE for nothing!
    Take one for a test drive..........a long test drive.:D

They're called the Ultimate Driving Machine by BMW, so I don't know how much you can read into that! I honestly don't get why someone would buy an e36 316 compact if not for the badge.

The 320d is a nice motor, but other cars like the ones I listed are supposed to be in or around as good as it.

I don't know if carzone is acting funny tonight or something, but getting a lot less results for BMW 320d searches than I would normally expect.

Yes, more value in a BMW saloon v a BMW coupe - but you are paying a premium for the badge. In this case, it's an excellent engine, but have a good look at the competition - Mondeo TDCI / Alfa 159 JTD etc.

Would the Rear wheel drive 3 series be that much better to drive than the FW Mondeo ? I'm driving a 1.6 Focus and am getting torque steer even in 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

OP will not get a 159 for their budget. You could easily get a facelift 156 for that money however.

• Advertisement

Would the Rear wheel drive 3 series be that much better to drive than the FW Mondeo ? I'm driving a 1.6 Focus and am getting torque steer even in 2nd.

I've not driven the Mondeo, but it is supposed to be a very good drive, and you may get one a couple of years younger than a 320d at the same price. Just test drive one of each, and see what you think.
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    OP will not get a 159 for their budget. You could easily get a facelift 156 for that money however.

Yeah, I noticed that - the diesels and/or the 159s must be keeping their value better than the petrol 156 did.

Advertisement