Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do Guards REALLY enforce this?

Options
  • 03-09-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I want to drive to blanch every day and I have a learner permit, getting a full soon. I wouldn't go M50 till I get the full though. I'm a good safe driver as well.
    Do the Guards really enforce that there has to be someone sitting beside me with a full licence? If so what is the usual thing that would happen.
    Would using L plates only attract them or would you be better of with them, then they might say "ah well at least ya have ur plates".
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I did this for 2 years and got away with it, but I think they are clamping down now and afaik there are a lot of points heaped onto you if you are caught. I took my plates down after about 3 months as I didn't want to draw attention to myself... and I was tired spitting on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's illegal, dunno if they enforce it, but the risk is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

HairyJim wrote: »
    I want to drive to blanch every day and I have a learner permit, getting a full soon. I wouldn't go M50 till I get the full though. I'm a good safe driver as well.
    Do the Guards really enforce that there has to be someone sitting beside me with a full licence? If so what is the usual thing that would happen.
    Would using L plates only attract them or would you be better of with them, then they might say "ah well at least ya have ur plates".
    Thanks

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/unaccompanied-learner-drivers-escape-serious-fines-1.1721004

L plates would probably attract them IMO, but if you're in an accident or random checkpoint, you'd probably be in bigger trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Will they enforce it? Maybe.

At the end of the day the decision is up to you to make and also god help you when the high horses arrive.

Caliden wrote: »
    Will they enforce it? Maybe.

At the end of the day the decision is up to you to make and also god help you when the high horses arrive.

They asked me to let you know they just have to finish up some pontificating about slow drivers on the motorway and they'll be over as soon as they can ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 HairyJim

Thanks lads, I'd chance it for about a month or so and do this driving test to hell, at least I don't have to go through that bloody 12 lesson thing before doing it, I'd do maybe 2 or 3 in the evening in navan.
    L plates would probably attract them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Well, technically you're not allowed to drive alone, so if you're ever in an accident, you could have a lot of problems.

You need to decide if you need to drive to Blanch (no other way of getting there for example, and it's for a job and you really need the money) in which case maybe it's worth the risk.

If it's because you don't fancy taking the bus, best wait until you have your full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Look, once high horses are mentioned you're done. It wins all arguments on here. Kinda like Godwin's Law but exclusive to the Boards Motors form. The reasoning is infallible don't you see!
    You're forgetting also that the OP is, by his own reckoning, "a good safe driver". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Just get the bus. Blanch is well served especially from Navan.
    The law is there to protect you from more experienced drivers and them from you. I've seen unaccompanied learners in very sticky situations. Its just not worth it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Just get the bus. Blanch is well served especially from Navan.
    The law us there to protect you from more experienced drivers and you from them. I've seen unaccompanied learners in very sticky situations. Its just not worth it.

Ah get off your high horse! :D :pac:

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    ****ing high horse label be damned. Hope people remember this thread the next time they bitch about how high their insurance premium is. You don't get to pick and choose what laws you follow and I'm tired of this forum being flooded with threads of people advocating flagrantly flouting the rules of the road.

Actually you do. Of course, you run the risk of getting caught but you can pick and choose to do whatever the hell you like. :D I fragrantly tout the law all the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thanks

Translation: Rolling Road block.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

OP, if you are considering driving unaccompanied and with the L plates down, you might as well not bother with insurance. After all, if you do that your insurance is void as you are driving in breach of your licence limitations.

And saying that, don't bother with motor tax or NCT (if needed). Sure the only time they will enforce that is if you are caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Actually you do. Of course, you run the risk of getting caught but you can pick and choose to do whatever the hell you like. :D I fragrantly tout the law all the time :)

Lynx or Hugo Boss!!

Lucena wrote: »
    Lynx or Hugo Boss!!

Good, someone's paying attention. You missed the "tout" instead of flout - that was intentional too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I've yet to meet a learner driver here who didn't profess to be a good driver, yet every day, dozens if not hundreds of learner drivers fail to meet the standard which would judge them to be capable of driving unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

oldyouth wrote: »
    yet every day, dozens if not hundreds of learner drivers fail to meet the standard which would judge them to be capable of driving unaccompanied.

And biggest issue of all, they are still allowed to drive home after they failed!

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    And biggest issue of all, they are still allowed to drive home after they failed!

Nope, breaking the law doing that too, if unaccompanied

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    OP, if you are considering driving unaccompanied and with the L plates down, you might as well not bother with insurance.

Not true, your insurance will still pay third parties, you are not driving without insurance.

They might come after you for it afterwards, though (if they thought you had a few bob).

Not true, your insurance will still pay third parties, you are not driving without insurance.

They might come after you for it afterwards, though (if they thought you had a few bob).

He is not saying his insurance is invalid, just that you might as well break a variety of motor laws by not bothering with a policy in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

oldyouth wrote: »
    I've yet to meet a learner driver here who didn't profess to be a good driver, yet every day, dozens if not hundreds of learner drivers fail to meet the standard which would judge them to be capable of driving unaccompanied.
    That's funny cause I see loads of qualified drivers everyday that think they are good drivers as well. But they can't park properly,overtake safely,obey speed limits and seem to have severe dislike for learner/elderly/slow moving or otherwise cautious drivers. The standards of driving In this country are shocking and its not learner drivers that are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The answer is don't do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement