Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance claim

Options
  • 29-03-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm totally gutted here. Left my car in work car park last night to go for a few pints. Overnight it's been wrecked by vandals. Keyed, panels kicked in, roof, and bonnet caved in. I'm going off now to see if I can find a repair shop open to get an estimate but looks like thousands. There's supposed to be security overnight but the guy I spoke to today said there was no report of any disturbance overnight. They will go through the CCTV to see what it shows. Reported it to the guards.
    I don't have the money to repair it so will have to go through the insurance, so i will end up paying in the long run anyway.
    The carpark has the usual "not responsible etc etc" signs. I will write to HR on Monday anyway to see if there's any chance to claim against their insurance.
    This is as much a rant as anything, but if anyone has any thoughts on dealing with this let me know. Should I pursue my employer first or is that a complete dead end?
    If I go down my insurance route they might write off the car as it's probably worth about €7k mkt value. To me it's worth much more though as it was kept immaculately, serviced on the button, and completely faultless to drive. I'll not get that piece of mind easily in another €7k car. Off to get an estimate, then to the pub I'm sure:-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

You left your car in your work car park overnight, it was your choice to do that, take responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You left your car in your work car park overnight, it was your choice to do that, take responsibility

harsh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

OP was responsible enough not to drink and drive, they asked a fair question.

The idea that car park owner has no reponsibilty is not quite true. If it is a secure, paid for location you may have a chance. If it is not secure and is obviously outside work hours then you may be stuck. Unlikely they will cover anything but worth asking. You might have more trouble with your own insurance depending on policy, i.e. Not in a secure location overnight !

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Jesus... That's terrible. What part of the city was that in? Unfortunately I think you could be out of luck on work/car parks insurance. But deffo no harm asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Damien360 wrote: »

The idea that car park owner has no reponsibilty is not quite true. If it is a secure, paid for location you may have a chance. If it is not secure and is obviously outside work hours then you may be stuck. Unlikely they will cover anything but worth asking. You might have more trouble with your own insurance depending on policy, i.e. Not in a secure location overnight !

Best of luck OP.

entitled to park anywhere it is legal and have your insurance cover it
    you either have fully comp or you don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 harbourmill

you paid your fee for the service provided, the service delivered was not up to standard, i suggest you go legal, small claims court , which is inexpensive, for lack of duty of care to a customer. I hope you kept your ticket for proof of parking. Signs saying "park at your own risk" does not give the carpark owners a free get out of jail card. They provide a service which you pay money for and you are entitled to expect your property to be returned in the condition you left it in their care in. Their duty of care was non existant in your case. Best of luck, get a legal opinion , it will be money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jackaroe

Just to clarify re the carpark; it wasn't a case of taking a chance this one time, I'd regularly leave it there at weekends etc as would a lot of staff. All the pool cars are kept there overnight along with company jeeps, commercials and 10 or more staff cars on any given night. It's locked down at 8pm and the only way in is over a 10 foot gate. There's CCTV and security on site 24/7 (where he was when this happened I dont know). It's secure, despite this event. I've been parking there 10 years with not one single problem. Just one of those things.

Anyway, I had it down at a local garage. Rough estimate they reckon it could be up to €4k:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

visual wrote: »
    entitled to park anywhere it is legal and have your insurance cover it
    you either have fully comp or you don't

On my last bike insurance policy I wasn't covered if the bike was parked overnight within IIRC 25km of where I said it was kept it a locked concrete shed. Companies can put all kinds of T&Cs into a policy if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Crux of the matter is that if this went in front of a judge how could he be expected to hold your employer liable for something they had no real control over? They weren't negligent. You'd be hard pressed to get them to cough up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

MugMugs wrote: »
    Crux of the matter is that if this went in front of a judge how could he be expected to hold your employer liable for something they had no real control over? They weren't negligent. You'd be hard pressed to get them to cough up.

A secure car park locked down at 8 each evening with 24 hour security that somehow failed with the lock down bit and also failed with the secure/security bit. There would appear to be negligence there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Did the OP obtain express permission to utilise this service whilst not working? There's so many variables that could be thrown out here that I just couldn't see the point pursuing it.

Anyway, it's not as if the employer danced on the car. Some scrote did. Why should they be held accountable?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

corktina wrote: »
    harsh:(

Sorry 'twas a bit harsh(might have been a hint of a hangover this morning)
    I fail to see how your place of work is responsible as you left your car there outside of work hours, also I don't think suing your work will end well
    Good luck though, hope you get sorted:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Del2005 wrote: »
    On my last bike insurance policy I wasn't covered if the bike was parked overnight within IIRC 25km of where I said it was kept it a locked concrete shed. Companies can put all kinds of T&Cs into a policy if they want to.

Never once seen or heard of that clause in a motor car fully comprehensive insurance policy
    but if one insurance company did, I change insurance company without hesitation.

In fact most insurance companies will give you UK and limited European cover at no extra cost so you can take your car on holiday with you.

OP while your own insurance will cover the car it will impact on no claim bonus

I doubt the work carpark insurance will cover damage but no harm asking

visual wrote: »
    Never once seen or heard of that clause in a motor car fully comprehensive insurance policy
    but if one insurance company did, I change insurance company without hesitation.

In fact most insurance companies will give you UK and limited European cover at no extra cost so you can take your car on holiday with you.

OP while your own insurance will cover the car it will impact on no claim bonus

I doubt the work carpark insurance will cover damage but no harm asking

The policy had full European recovery and was way cheaper than the other 3 companies that do bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't be making too much waves with work on this. You run the risk of ruining the party for everyone so to speak if it came to court, they'll just tell employee's not to leave their cars there any more. Or if they could prove they never gave permission for employee's to park there in such a manner, you might be snookered. So depending on where it is, you might ruin a dead handy city centre paring location for everyone in the office. Bad vibes and all that.

I'd thread carefully, sometimes its just better to keep matters between yourself and the insurance company. You have to work there and I wouldn't want to be a headache for HR / site management over what your insurance is bound to cover anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Del2005 wrote: »
    The policy had full European recovery and was way cheaper than the other 3 companies that do bikes.

Not too many places in Europe less than 25km from your shed though...long way to go to come home and park :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Possibly give your employer a heads up that this happened so that they are aware that security cover failed/was absent etc.

There is always the possibility that security was also partying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Damien360 wrote: »

Best of luck OP.

The car park owner has no liability for damaged caused to a car by a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Red Crow wrote: »
    The car park owner has no liability for damaged caused to a car by a third party.

Not true, each case is different and dealt with seperately

Not too many places in Europe less than 25km from your shed though...long way to go to come home and park :D:D

I had full cover once it was more than 25km from where I told them it was kept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Not true, each case is different and dealt with seperately

Find me one case where a car park owner was liable for damage caused by a third party so

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brendan1983

Jackaroe wrote: »
    I'm totally gutted here. Left my car in work car park last night to go for a few pints. Overnight it's been wrecked by vandals. Keyed, panels kicked in, roof, and bonnet caved in. I'm going off now to see if I can find a repair shop open to get an estimate but looks like thousands. There's supposed to be security overnight but the guy I spoke to today said there was no report of any disturbance overnight. They will go through the CCTV to see what it shows. Reported it to the guards.
    I don't have the money to repair it so will have to go through the insurance, so i will end up paying in the long run anyway.
    The carpark has the usual "not responsible etc etc" signs. I will write to HR on Monday anyway to see if there's any chance to claim against their insurance.
    This is as much a rant as anything, but if anyone has any thoughts on dealing with this let me know. Should I pursue my employer first or is that a complete dead end?
    If I go down my insurance route they might write off the car as it's probably worth about €7k mkt value. To me it's worth much more though as it was kept immaculately, serviced on the button, and completely faultless to drive. I'll not get that piece of mind easily in another €7k car. Off to get an estimate, then to the pub I'm sure:-(

hi sorry but just want too see what people think.. i burnt my leg when i was young about 2 years old it was my own fault i managed to get in behind a fire guard and got too close to the fire and my trousers went up in fire when my mother was in another room ..my leg is badly marked as i got skin graph done had skin taken from my back and my tigh and put onto the leg i burnt . i spent alot of time in hospital i had another operation a few years back there was a problem with the skin graph so have been through a lot . i am now 30 and cant go out to swimming pool or wear shorts because of my injury's i feel embarrassed because people stare at it.. i was told i could claim for my injury's but i do not know who to claim off anyone any idea if i can make a claim after all this time.i dont think my mam knows who our house was insured with at the time does the government have some sort of thing set up for these cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

it was my own fault
    Yes, look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yr one

hi sorry but just want too see what people think.. i burnt my leg when i was young about 2 years old it was my own fault i managed to get in behind a fire guard and got too close to the fire and my trousers went up in fire when my mother was in another room ..my leg is badly marked as i got skin graph done had skin taken from my back and my tigh and put onto the leg i burnt . i spent alot of time in hospital i had another operation a few years back there was a problem with the skin graph so have been through a lot . i am now 30 and cant go out to swimming pool or wear shorts because of my injury's i feel embarrassed because people stare at it.. i was told i could claim for my injury's but i do not know who to claim off anyone any idea if i can make a claim after all this time.i dont think my mam knows who our house was insured with at the time does the government have some sort of thing set up for these cases?

I think you answered it yourself, you just said it was your own fault, I know you were a child, but the person liable there would be your parents, you can't claim it on house insurance, nor can you blame others. It was an accident, a relative of mine was severely burned on his head as a child in a freak accident. In his own home.. He can't claim anything, it was an accident, if it was in a restaurant or something then it would be different

I would be skeptical, but if you really want to pursue it speak to a solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to seek legal advice.

Really 28 years and only claiming now. You could sue your ma for neglegence?

You shouldn't have been left on your own with an open fire fire guard or no fire gaurd.

Hopefully you do heal and sorry to hear your embarrased you shouldn't be.

Don't even think about it there are plenty of people with matters/problems even myself have a big scar on my belly where it is badly deformed.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi there, this is the Motors forum, so I feel your post may be better off in the Legal discussion forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

I'm not familiar with the rules there, so it may be worth sending a message to the mods before starting a thread. The mods are:

dermot_sheehan

FreudianSlippers

hullaballoo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement