Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai i40/KIA Optima?

Options
  • 25-05-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

thinking of buying one or the other.. diesel cars

Hyundai I40 or Kia Optima

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are both the same car though the i40 has a lower bhp version of the diesel engine unless you opt for an auto.

The i40 is more popular, the Optima is better equipped and looks nicer in the right colour but the interior hasn't aged gracefully imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The optima is expensive enough new. The i40 outsells it, even when Garda cars are taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw an optima on display at a dealer recently at over 33k which is pricey imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

ofcork wrote: »
    Saw an optima on display at a dealer recently at over 33k which is pricey imo.

what is the finish like on these, i drive an 11 a4 tdi and someone told me the i40 is good bit harder on the fuel, the kia would be the same then if its got same engine etc

I was in an i40 taxi and wasn't gone on the blue lighting on the dash display centre console seemed a bit of overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Are you buying brand new or second hand. If brand new you should check out the new Skoda Superb that will be out soon. Its a really good looking car better looking than the latest Passat in my opinion.
    What size engine is in the two cars you mentioned is it the 1.7diesel?
    I think the Optima is the better looking car myself. The best way to know which car to buy is to try them and take them for a test drive.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

Yes both diesel, Took both for a drive and was not that impressed, no quality feel about any of them, I was abit worried about resale value as they dont hold their valve at all.
    saying that i would choose the kia, not sure how economical they are

Ms

The new Skoda Superb is out next month starting from just under 28,000Euro. The Ford Mondeo and Mazda 6 are worth a look too. Both beautiful cars. Peugeot 508 is another car thats worth a look.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

coyle21 wrote: »
    Yes both diesel, Took both for a drive and was not that impressed, no quality feel about any of them, I was abit worried about resale value as they dont hold their valve at all.
    saying that i would choose the kia, not sure how economical they are

Re the resale values, where are all the cheap used i40s and Optimas now?

Any ones I've seen are quite expensive. Even in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

i hope youz don't mind me gate crashing your thread

im trading my 08 avensis dsl and have test-driven a 12, I40, an 11 Ix 35, a 12 avensis, a 12 Peugout 508, and a 12 Nissan Quaskai.
    as well as reliability im looking for comfortable seat ( sue to back problem), they are all around same money €12k + my own, at minute my wife likes I40 best and peugot least due to stories about alleged electrical sensor problems , but neither of us know any owner of an I40 locally ,
    a few Nissan ( my preferance) owners have complained about clutch bearing issues,
    any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
    Ms

@SandyDan Ever think of a Volvo or a Saab. Both have great sear and you could get a great deal on a Saab now. Skoda are also supposed to have really good seats so the Octavia,Superb and the Yeti are work looking at. You said you looked at the Hyundai ix35 why not look at the Kia Sportage as well its based on the same platform as the ix35.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

i prefer Quaskai, but my wife as main driver doesn't
    did actually try my sums against an ix35, 2011, would set me back around €15000 min and thats with around 60000 km on clock min, sportage is dearer.nice though.
    an i40 or avensis for 2012 would set me back around €13,500 with 80000 km on clock. problem i have is avensis have lots of satisfied customers for that model provided its not pdf engine model, although some are reasonable on diesel.
    handbrake seems to be a stumbling block on most, repair bills that i heard of were in order of €1100+, outside of switch which, which is less than €100.
    ix 35 nor nissan quaskai do not have those issues.
    no i never considered Saab or volvo as there are no dealers that i know of locally, the old Volvo were popular in 90s locally.
    a few locally purchased one or two Saab second-hand but have switched.

seem to be heading to Toyota at min, due to rush to sell off as many as possible of the current 2 litre model before end of month when according to info i got, the remainder will be lease hire vehicles till years end.
    the new 1.6 model will be all that main dealer will sell after July 1st.
    price drop of €5,000 on strata models which are discontinued and €3000 on lower spec.
    so at min s/h models are being discounted as well.

well we purchased a 13 avensis with 50000 km on clock.225000 asking price 14000 plus 08 avensis,
    water leaked in small windows in both driver and passenger doors and was sorted under warranty by main dealer. happy so far but heavier than 08 model on dsl. noisier too , someone told me that muffling material reduced to lighten car to get down emissions, i don't know if that is fact. but happy otherwise

I bought a 12 avensis last nov been reliable so far only issues ive had were vibration from bonnet and rattle on drivers seatbelt,only thing i find is the steering tramlines a lot with any camber in the road.

had that issue with 08 too, i think it was caused by steering being tracked without the steering wheel being secured in straight ahead position, or so i was told by another garage who sorted it, but mine was prone to over-steer when overtaking as well,but i think the mechanic said some thing as well about not adhering strictly to manufacturers settings. not 100% sure what he meant but i will ask him when i see him, if i think of it .
    prior to that i thought it was some thing to do with not rotating tyres in proper sequence only but...

Advertisement