Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work related injury last year

Options
  • 10-10-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Had a work related injury last year, got occ injury benefit, work for HSE now they are saying its not classed as occ injury, attended occ health x6 who read my MRI results.now have meeting with work on Mon as occ health have stated I'm no longer fit to continue working in my current role due to restrictions on manual handling. I'm worried they are going to dismiss me on grounds of capability. Returned to work after injury and no supports put in place for me hence now back out on sick leave. Any advice on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Have worked for them for 17years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

beenhad wrote: »
    Had a work related injury last year, got occ injury benefit, work for HSE now they are saying its not classed as occ injury, attended occ health x6 who read my MRI results.now have meeting with work on Mon as occ health have stated I'm no longer fit to continue working in my current role due to restrictions on manual handling. I'm worried they are going to dismiss me on grounds of capability. Returned to work after injury and no supports put in place for me hence now back out on sick leave. Any advice on how to deal with this would be appreciated. Have worked for them for 17years.

Do you have any proof this injury happened at work? Do you have your own medical people? What's their opinion? Do you agree you shouldn't be working in current role?

Sounds like HSE Occupational Health have decided you have a pre-existing condition/injury that is causing this issue and not an incident at work. If they're wrong you need to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭beenhad

Hi Bobby, yep another member of staff present when it happened, due to nature of injury I cannot perform heavy manual handling tasks or work with any kind of challenging behavior, they are pushing Ill health retirement I think. Have been onto union who want me re deployed. At thme moment I'm on illness benefit as my oib ran out last year. Hard to survive on that money. Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

beenhad wrote: »
    Hi Bobby, yep another member of staff present when it happened, due to nature of injury I cannot perform heavy manual handling tasks or work with any kind of challenging behavior, they are pushing Ill health retirement I think. Have been onto union who want me re deployed. At thme moment I'm on illness benefit as my oib ran out last year. Hard to survive on that money. Thanks for reply

No worries mo chara.

There's a big push in the PS to reduce the amount of sick days that staff have. One of the ways they tackle this is health retirement. Have you worked out how much you'd be getting per week if you did retire on health grounds? They should add 6.66 years to your 17 years service bringing you to almost 24 years service for your pension.

If you'd prefer to be transferred to another section in the HSE then that should be something they'd look at? Would a change of work duties in your current role be possible?

The HSE have an Employee Assistance Service, they should be able to help. I http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/wellbeing/hs/eap/

Advertisement