Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wooden front door

Options
  • 25-04-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

So I'm finally planning to get a new front door for my house six years after moving in. I'm in north side Dublin and currently have a door and side panel with an overall size of 53.5 inches (136 cm), the door itself being 32.25 inches (82 cm, which is odd as I thought the standard size was 32 inches). I've attached a pic of the one I have now which a good breeze would probably knock down.

Anyway I want to get a wooden door and I don't really know where to start looking. I'll also need to get a frame / side panel. As for colour I'd like to brighten up the look of the house so was thinking of a deep red.

- Where's the best place in Dublin or surrounding area to buy a wooden door?
    - What type of wood is best and is there a certain grade / thickness I should be looking for?
    - How much should I expect to pay for a decent one along with a side panel?
    - Are the sizes above standard sizes, and is there much chance of getting a good 2nd hand door / side panel
    - Is it cheaper to get a carpenter to make a door/side panel for me or am I better sticking with the diy / door shops?
    - As shown in the pic my windows are light oak and the house is cream with some white and a black foundation. Would a red coloured door suit this?

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

2 grand should get u a long way here.

why timber, given how exposed the door is have you considered UPVC?

much less if no maintenance and easier to get with multilocking .

this will be a one off for the frame and fitting, u need a 45-50mm thick door

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

Carlow52 wrote: »
    2 grand should get u a long way here.

why timber, given how exposed the door is have you considered UPVC?

Was really hoping to get under the grand to be honest.

As for PVC a lot of people give out about them for different reasons. I heard that they can warp after a while and I've seen one that had warped slightly at the bottom. Even though my windows are PVC I'd prefer a wooden door...I just hope it doesn't look odd with the windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sparky20203

Was really hoping to get under the grand to be honest.

As for PVC a lot of people give out about them for different reasons. I heard that they can warp after a while and I've seen one that had warped slightly at the bottom. Even though my windows are PVC I'd prefer a wooden door...I just hope it doesn't look odd with the windows!

Hey,

The cheap UPVC doors can warp over time. But once your not planning on buying a seriously cheap one, I'd say putting in a PVC door would be a better option. They are a lot more secure, having multiple locking points (I think our front door has 8 locking points, and a dead bolt). There are also a huge selection of colors you can choose from.

If you still want to go for a wood door, keep in mind you will need to maintain it, paining it every few years etc. We also has a lot of issues with draughts comming in thru the front door prior to changing from the old wood door. A PVC door would cost around 1200 - 1500, depending on where you buy from.

Advertisement