Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice - Hickory

Options
  • 30-03-2011 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all

I'm installing a hickory floor shortly but cannot get my hands on any solid hickory timber for skirting and architrave in Ireland. It's widely available in USA but that's no use as I'm in Ireland.

I was thinking that Birch or Maple would make a good subsitute as it's widely available. Anybody agree with me or recommend a similar timber to Hickory or perhaps know of a supplier that stocks Hickory?

Thanks

M

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Don't know of any Hickory suppliers in Ireland. Don't know very much about Hickory either! the only thing I do know is that tool handles are sometimes made from it, especially high impact tools like axes. The other most common wood for handles is Ash, which has a similar ability to absorb shock: hence the hurley. Maybe that would work for skirting. I'm sure someone here knows more.
    Where did you get Hickory flooring, maybe the supplier knows where you might get hickory skirting? Alternatively, you might be able to get someone to mould skirting boards out of surplus floor boards - if they're suitable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

.....Just Googled Hickory. There are 26 species of it but the one which is most likely to be used in flooring looks to me to be reasonably similar to Beech - which is widely available. Here's a link to info about Hickory.
    http://www.thewoodexplorer.com/maindata/we247.html

This a cracking website for anyone who wants to find out about various timbers, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AidanBoland

I wouldnt go birch or maple, hickory has a much more open grain pattern than either of those. Beech can be quite reddish pink in colour and i wouldnt think it would match well

Id would think ash would definitly be the best match. Some hickory floors seem to be quite light and uniform in colour but others seem to have much more variation with parts being quite dark in colour
    If your floor is more the uniform type then get american ash, its light and fairly uniform in colour
    But if your floor has variation in it try get european ash, this tends to have the same difference in colours

If you could post some pictures of the timber you have it would be much easier to recommend something

Advertisement