Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH double standards

Options
  • 08-10-2009 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

just logged in and see 4 similar threads 2 locked 2 allowed

hate the Jews & hate the Muslims locked

hate the Russians and Hate the English allowed

so it's alright to hate people based on where they are from, but not because of their religion

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Yes, yes it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

So, by your logic it's ok to hate Africans racist:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

BennyLava wrote: »
    just logged in and see 4 similar threads 2 locked 2 allowed

hate the Jews & hate the Muslims locked

hate the Russians and Hate the English allowed

so it's alright to hate people based on where they are from, but not because of their religion

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They may have been locked because the OP of each thread didn't really give any sort of valid point as to why he/she disliked either religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I really want a thread on hating the muslims..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Can be confusing at times OP .I think there should be a much stronger Moderation of these subjects dealing with religion ,religious views and Race ,even in AH .

wait ...this is a day for starting race hate in so many threads right ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

So, by your logic it's ok to hate Africans racist:eek:

I only hate white Africans, is that OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Moved from After Hours.

We allowed the "English" thread as it looked like a good topic for discussion. The "Russians" thread was a funny little parody thread, imo. By the time the "Muslim" and "Jew" threads were started, the joke had wore a little thin so I closed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

That_Guy wrote: »
    They may have been locked because the OP of each thread didn't really give any sort of valid point as to why he/she disliked either religion.

I suppose your right, but I'm just suggesting that they are equally as bad as hating based on where someone is from

looking back over threads the amount of racism allowed in threads is shocking

substitute black for english and this site is as bad as stormfront

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The thread about the English had a very valid discussion point. In fact, the question was more or less, "Why do so many Irish people hate English people, even though there's nothing wrong with them?".

Whereas the idiot who posted the ones about Jews and Muslims was a troll with no intention except to be racist and offensive.

Maybe if he had posted, "Why are there so many Irish people who hate Jews/Muslims? Do you hate them?" it would be a valid topic.

See the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 super stoner

That_Guy wrote: »

If you look at the "hate the muslims" and "hate the jews" threads you will notice I worded them the exact same as the "hate the russians" thread (obviously changing the word "russians" to "muslims" and "jews" respectively).

I don't see any difference between them and the "hate the russians" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 super stoner

seamus wrote: »
    Whereas the idiot who posted the ones about Jews and Muslims was a troll with no intention except to be racist and offensive.

Actually my intention was to highlight the double standards in allowing a "hate the russians" thread to exist (the "hate the english" one i can understand for reasons mentioned in this thread) when if the word russians was replaced with a different group the thread would be locked instantly. As was demonstrated to you moments ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Actually my intention was to highlight the double standards in allowing a "hate the russians" thread to exist (the "hate the english" one i can understand for reasons mentioned in this thread) when if the word russians was replaced with a different group the thread would be locked instantly. As was demonstrated to you moments ago.

You have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Indeed I missed that thread.

Though I'm going to invoke the "precrime" defence here. Any thread specifically singling out Jews or Muslims is far more likely to descend into vitriolic racism than a thread about Russians.
    Threads dealing with one particular group are often left open "to see how they turn out", but in the case of threads dealing with travellers, muslims, jews or africans, they all go exactly the same way in the end.

Double standards? Yep, perhaps. Don't see a big problem with that though. Do you think all similar topics should be allowed, or none should be allowed? And on what basis should be disallow said discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I suppose your right, but I'm just suggesting that they are equally as bad as hating based on where someone is from
    The "Hate the English?" thread isn't an invitation for people to voice their hatred of the English, it is a discussion on the phenomenon of Irish people hating the English - most of the posts on it are pointing out how ludicrous that is.

It's not "allowed" at all, it's just there is a considerable number of idiots who hate the English and happen to post that view here quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Have you ever thought that to hate the russians or hate the english you are critical of an entire range of religions where as hate the jews you are being zenophobic. Yes I had to look the word up! :P

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This site? Surely you mean those threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

You have a point.
    he has a point without doubt. i was permanently banned and had a major issue with double standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

zenophobic. Yes I had to look the word up! :P

surprised you found it tbh :p
    xenophobic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

I got banned from after hours for calling the guy who started the Muslim thread an idiot, not getting into my feelings about this anymore.

Cast your vote: here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You called someone an idiot you broke the rule about personal abuse and your complaining you got banned and now want to drive traffic to your website form here? Pfff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Barrypr wrote: »
    I got banned from after hours for calling the guy who started the Muslim thread an idiot, not getting into my feelings about this anymore.

Hell, I'm sure Hitler felt justified in killing the Jews, but he didn't have to set up an online poll to make himself feel better. [/godwin]

i got banned for similar. there were people slagging jade goody before and after she died,making puns about the air france disaster,slagging margeret thatcher when she was supposedly on her death bed etc etc. i took them to task(abusing some personally in the process admittedly) and got banned for life.i have been a keen observer of feedback and helpdesk since and i cannot recall a single case of anyone having a ban overturned for any reason. the mods are so self righteous and extremely flawed.sharpshooter in particular is on the most glaringly obvious power trip. thread closures have gone up exponentially since her appointment.

Bans do get over turned and shortened.
    A lot of that can happen in pms, I know I have done it, also when there has been a thread in feedback and in helpdesk, but it's usually when there has been a misunderstanding.

If you break the rules then you face a ban, mods don't have to send a pm or give a warning esp if it's a clear cut case like personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Nationality is not a race.

You got banned for personal abuse, same as you would have on any forum or thread on this site.

Rabble rabble rabble
    i got banned for similar. there were people slagging jade goody before and after she died,making puns about the air france disaster,slagging margeret thatcher when she was supposedly on her death bed etc etc. i took them to task(abusing some personally in the process admittedly) and got banned for life.i have been a keen observer of feedback and helpdesk since and i cannot recall a single case of anyone having a ban overturned for any reason. the mods are so self righteous and extremely flawed.sharpshooter in particular is on the most glaringly obvious power trip. thread closures have gone up exponentially since her appointment.

See the problem there?

Bans do get overturned, I know I personally overturned some when I was a mod and put my hand up when I was in the wrong and personally apolgised to the user. The vast majority of bans aren't overturned simply because the user in question deserved them for breaking forum rules/the charter.

Shaprshooter is a good mod, personally I find the witch-hunting bullshit from little boys with penis anxiety and woman issues who can't deal with getting a deserved slap from a female in a position of authority is either hilarious or disgusting depending on what mood I'm in.

orestes wrote: »

Shaprshooter is a good mod, personally I find the witch-hunting bullshit from little boys with penis anxiety and woman issues who can't deal with getting a deserved slap from a female in a position of authority is either hilarious or disgusting depending on what mood I'm in.
    your post was fine until this paragraph.a lot of people including myself didnt know she was female until very recently.
    the little boys comment is supercilious and unfounded.
    the penis comment is reportable, offensive,arrogant and supercilious as above.this is feed back and if i cant air my grievences in feedback then the whole system falls down.i have not used any foul language or demeaning tone in this thread.you have.im willing to engage in fair and open dialogue with you once your respectful.yet as usual a mod comes on here to blindly defend another one ,and you threw in the token cheap shot(penis anxiety) as well.do not quote me in a post unless your willing to converse intelligently.sharpshooter is a poor mod. im not the only one who thinks so.

your post was fine until this paragraph.a lot of people including myself didnt know she was female until very recently.
    the little boys comment is supercilious and unfounded.
    the penis comment is reportable, offensive,arrogant and supercilious as above.this is feed back and if i cant air my grievences in feedback then the whole system falls down.i have not used any foul language or demeaning tone in this thread.you have.im willing to engage in fair and open dialogue with you once your respectful.yet as usual a mod comes on here to blindly defend another one ,and you threw in the token cheap shot(penis anxiety) as well.do not quote me in a post unless your willing to converse intelligently.sharpshooter is a poor mod. im not the only one who thinks so.

1: What part of that post was directed towards you personally? I used your specific post to give a broader opinion on a larger issue that you had raised. The post was not directed towards you personally and you are fully entitled to your opinion, I happen to disagree with it, fair enough, but I didn't intend that post to read as being directed towards you personally and I apologise if it cam across that way. I still stand by my statement, but it wasn't intended to be directed towards any single individual, including you.

2: I'm not a mod.

orestes wrote: »
    1: What part of that post was directed towards you personally? I used your specific post to give a broader opinion on a larger issue that you had raised. The post was not directed towards you personally and you are fully entitled to your opinion, I happen to disagree with it, fair enough, but I didn't intend that post to read as being directed towards you personally and I apologise if it cam across that way. I still stand by my statement, but it wasn't intended to be directed towards any single individual, including you.

2: I'm not a mod.
    apologies on the mod part. i think you were bang out of order with the other comment

apologies on the mod part. i think you were bang out of oreder with the other comment

No worries.

I disagree, if you want to discuss it with me either here or via pm I'm more than willing to do so. I commented on an ongoing trend by users to bash a particular mod and gave the reasons I feel could be a contributing factor as the same thing seems to happen when a female mod is appointed to any of the larger forums (AH, football, PI/RI, etc.). It's another example of an ongoing trend for users to get aggressive when reprimanded by female mods and throw their toys out of the pram imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone care to reply to this thread? While the subject is lit? :)

Kind of despicable behavior for a mod... imo

Maybe there should be a public poll as to what members think of this Mod's attitude

It should be an honorary post for any member, and all he seems to do is abuse it.. I don't give a rattling shite what you say,,, some of his actions are totally uncalled for.... and yet seem to be overlooked by anyone responsible for appointing him

• Advertisement

it's in helpdesk, it's for the admins to sort and review.

Advertisement