Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung 50 inch plasma (full HD) for €999 in Powercity

• 14-09-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Seen this advertised on the tv this evening and it seems like a great bargain large screen tv. Don't know the model number but its 50 inch plasma thats full HD for less than a grand (just!!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-14-50B551&pages=1&prod=50B551&brands=SAMSUNG

932€ if you mention the online price in store. Samsung are'nt really known for making brilliant plasma's so i suspect this is an average set at best, worth a look at the price though!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

great minds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've a 46inch samsung series 6 lcd that I paid €1,200 from Richersounds over a year ago. The "out of the box" settings on it were abysmal but once the correct picture settings were input, the picture quality was amazing. I've another Samsung 26 inch that I use as a pc monitor and its a great HD ready tv as well so I've no problems with Samsung myself.

However most tv afficionados would still rate plasmas over lcd with Pioneer (now left the market) and Panasonic as the leaders. Don't know how Samsungs rate as plasmas but its STILL a big ass tv for the money (and its full HD). Didn't know that Powercity would beat their online price instore. Must keep that in mind for when I treat myself to a bigger tv after xmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

what is the "offer# here????
    Is it not the normal price for this product?

DID has the same price Euro 934
    http://www.buy4now.ie/DID/Product/PS50B551SAMSUNG%2050%20FULL%20HD%201080P%20PLASMA/17640/317

this is a 5 series tv and since there are already 6,7,8 series out, this will more 50% more down within six month or even less.

However, from quality point of view, Samsung, LG are known for quality and its just a short time before they become number 1 in Europe also.
    In Asia LG (Lucky Goldstar) and Samsung are already number 1.

rgds

AC

Also:
    Stg. 839 at http://www.ciao.co.uk/Samsung_PS50B551__7147752
    Also at http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1706235 for Euro 1092

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

ASTRACLUB wrote: »

this is a 5 series tv and since there are already 6,7,8 series out, this will more 50% more down within six month or even less.
    Samsung release a new series 4 5 6 7 8 every year

4 HD ready PLasma
    5 Full HD 50 Htz LCD
    6 Full HD 100 Htz LCD & LED
    7 Full HD 100 Htz LED with full usb and divx inc .mkv native support
    8 Full HD Plasma with full usb and divx inc .mkv native support

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As sioda says, Samsung brings out 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 series every year. Each series has an increasing quality and features and of course price. A 6,7,8 series will have no effect on the price of a 5 series as they are aimed at different markets and prices points.

Think of it like BMW 1, 3, 5 series, different features, quality and prcies.
    However, from quality point of view, Samsung, LG are known for quality and its just a short time before they become number 1 in Europe also.
    In Asia LG (Lucky Goldstar) and Samsung are already number 1.

Are you talking about market share or quality?

Yes in market share Samsung are near the top, but that doesn't say anything about quality.

For plasma quality, Pioneer are number one, followed by Panasonic. Samsung and LG don't really rate in Plasma quality. They are ok, but most AV fans would recommend spending the little extra for a Panasonic.

50" Panasonic for less then €1100 here:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/panasonic/txp50g10/pana-txp50g10b

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Are you talking about market share or quality?

Yes in market share Samsung are near the top, but that doesn't say anything about quality.

For plasma quality, Pioneer are number one, followed by Panasonic. Samsung and LG don't really rate in Plasma quality. They are ok, but most AV fans would recommend spending the little extra for a Panasonic.

both in quality and market share, Sony not doing great in TV in asia,
    LG/SS are cruising in quality as they have more product there compared to here in europe, they have many exclusive electroinics shopping malls/dealers like powercity. Pana is not doing grea there either, sharp are doing good.

Pioneer are gone and only handful of TV left, Pioneer are failing just for costing as people cant pay 2k for tv compare to 1k of same type,
    most of the parts are same in all tv anyway, likes of picturetube made by samtel and pana,

50" Panasonic for less then €1100 here:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/plasma-tv/panasonic/txp50g10/pana-txp50g10b[/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ASTRACLUB you are seriously mixing up quality with market share.

Sure Samsung do make good quality TV's, no argument there. Just helped my parents buy a nice 32" Samsung. But they are far from the best.

I know Pioneer aren't making TV's anymore, I rushed out and bought a 50" Pioneer myself when the news came out that they were going to stop making TV's and the price dropped a grand. Absolutely brilliant TV, nothing else even comes close, if you can afford the admittedly very expensive price then they are well worth it, they are still on sale.

Panasonic are the 4th largest TV manufacturer in the world, so they are doing fine. They represent the best balance between quality and price available in the Irish market.

Samsung having better quality TV's in the asian market is irrelevant if you can't get them here in Ireland. Of the TV's available in the Irish market it goes:

1) Pioneer
    2) Panasonic V series
    3) Panasonic G series

It is also nonsense to say all TV's use the same parts, there are one are two alliances like between Samsung and Sony for LCD panels, but it's isn't widespread and there can be a massive difference in TV quality between manufacturers and ranges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Samsung and Sony LCD TVs have generally been comparable for the last couple of years, while Samsung have been behind Panasonic when it comes to Plasma TVs.

Also, with regard to panels, yes, a lot of the manufacturers source their panels from the same source(s), but this doesn't necessarily mean that the picture quality will be the same; a lot more goes into making a TV than just what panel it has and this is clearly evident when looking at Pioneer's success with their KURO range of plasmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I was actually looking at this TV before seeing this thread. A bit of research online shows that it's not a fantastic set. For a strong 50" plasma however you're always going to be paying mad money.

Advertisement