Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Power City 10% off everything 9/9/09

• 09-09-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭

Until 9pm :pac:

Not just in store, on the website too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

yeah saw a samsung 40 inch LCD full HD 1080p for 599 less 10%

€540

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would imagine this is in retaliation to the DID 9% but you can usually get about 10% off any day at powercity when you talk to the reps.
    I doubt you will get any more off on a 10% off day though so better off avoiding the rush and go on a normal day and look for 10% off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Saruman wrote: »
    I would imagine this is in retaliation to the DID 9% but you can usually get about 10% off any day at powercity when you talk to the reps.
    I doubt you will get any more off on a 10% off day though so better off avoiding the rush and go on a normal day and look for 10% off.

You fancy my chances of getting the above TV for 10% less at PC at any time?

This from experience or just an opinion based on the current economic climate.

Its probably too big for my room but I want it anyway.

Any time and yes it is from experience. Now don't take my word for it, go down for the actual 10% off as it is secure and you know you are getting 10%.
    I am just saying that you never pay full price in power city unless it is a small item like a plug or accessory.

Deja vu, there is another thread from a few days ago about power city and bargaining them down. Find a sales person and ask for their best price. If it is to your liking, take it. You can always try bargaining them further.
    I got €50 or €60 off the in house price of a fridge recently, though it was only about €5 less than the web price but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, but the online prices are often ~10% lower than the instore price, often you will have salesmen match the online price. But in this case you are getting 10% off the online price which is already probably as low as the salesmen will go today.

Also to avoid the rush you can buy online today and collect tomorrow or maybe saturday if you are allowed, I can't see them refusing you your purchase if you turn up a day or so late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Agree with this. Any time I've bought from Power City I asked the price and then asked what the price is for cash. Got around 10% off every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, but the online prices are often ~10% lower than the instore price, often you will have salesmen match the online price. But in this case you are getting 10% off the online price which is already probably as low as the salesmen will go today.
    Yeah, there were some very good online prices. Everything on the whole site was just automatically down by 10%. Just sorry I didn't spot it (and post it) sooner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭shovelsfc

cool

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MaireadK4

I want to get a Blu-Ray DVD player. The prices on the site seem good. Can anybody recommend one?

rubadub wrote: »

Also to avoid the rush you can buy online today and collect tomorrow or maybe saturday if you are allowed, I can't see them refusing you your purchase if you turn up a day or so late.

Good point that :D

Now to the question of using the website, they must pay a lot of money to purposely develop a site of such awfulness that you will just go to one of the shops instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The website now says :

STOCK CLEARANCE SALE
    GET 10% OFF EVERYTHING ONLINE
    UNTIL Midnight SUNDAY
    Excludes all other Offers

:D happy days cos i'm buying a TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

MaireadK4 wrote: »
    I want to get a Blu-Ray DVD player. The prices on the site seem good. Can anybody recommend one?

PS3 Slim @ €256. What more could you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

RangeR wrote: »
    PS3 Slim @ €256. What more could you want?

Does that include 10% off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Does that include 10% off

It's 251.95 which includes the 10% off.

The PS3 Blu Ray Player is the best on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-P42G10&pages=1&prod=P42G10&brands=PANASONIC

Lads, this is now amazing value for an Irish shop. Probably the best tv ~40" available at the moment

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40B530&pages=1&prod=40B530&brands=SAMSUNG

And this is now at its lowest aver price i've seen!

Great time to buy a tv alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

mathie wrote: »
    The PS3 Blu Ray Player is the best on the market.

The PS3 might be the best Blu-ray player in its price point, but the Oppo BDP-83 is currently the best Blu-ray player on the market, anywhere.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-P42G10&pages=1&prod=P42G10&brands=PANASONIC

Lads, this is now amazing value for an Irish shop. Probably the best tv ~40" available at the moment

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40B530&pages=1&prod=40B530&brands=SAMSUNG

And this is now at its lowest aver price i've seen!

Great time to buy a tv alright!

I've been looking at their site the last few days and what I've noticed is that all up until yesterday/today they all came with "free" lcd cleaning kits or brackets..so obviously they weren't free because without them the prices have dropped! Still I'll be picking up my newly reduced tv tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

would they deliver to West Cork for that 9.99 charge? dont know if im comfortable spending a decent amount of cash on their dodgy looking website.

When you 'order online' you're really just reserving it. They call you back to confirm the order, then you have to print the order email they send and bring it and the card you used to order to the store - they don't take any cash off you until you go to the store. I learnt this when I ordered my parent's new washing machine - ended up having to go over with my dad to collect it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

ahh someone else who works at PowerCity pretending to stumble on these deals

thanks zonda999 ;)

• Advertisement

Im gonna go down and get a 32 or 40'' later. If they tell me I can't get 10% off in store then I will tell them to do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Antigone05 wrote: »

thanks zonda999 ;)

You can always spot the users who promote the store they work in; too much hyperbole. :cool:

noodler wrote: »
    Im gonna go down and get a 32 or 40'' later. If they tell me I can't get 10% off in store then I will tell them to do one.

I picked my 32" earlier :D I went for an LG one and no probs getting the online price in the coolock store - i didn't know you could just ask them for the online price I'd assumed you had to order thru the website (waste of time imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Antigone05 wrote: »

thanks zonda999 ;)

Hope you dont mean me cos i've never been in a power city shop in my life!:)

Just thought they were good deals!

tk123 wrote: »
    I picked my 32" earlier :D I went for an LG one and no probs getting the online price in the coolock store - i didn't know you could just ask them for the online price I'd assumed you had to order thru the website (waste of time imo).

Hey TK, I am torn between the Samsung 32BF530 and the LG32LH3000.

Is that the LH you bought? Anything you can tell me about it? Heard it had less input lag for gaming but wondering which would have better BR playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

I went to buy 2 TV's and went as far as the secure page and the price did not get reduced by 10%. Are prices reduced by 10% already. Because one of the TV's definitely is not reduced as I have had my eye on it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sanf

mathie wrote: »
    It's 251.95 which includes the 10% off.

Had a snafu with my CC ordering the PS3 on Powercity's website. In the interim the price went back up to €299.95 around lunchtime so with 10% off it was €270. Went up to the local branch and got them to pull out my failed order, they honoured the price at €252, sweet. Got a Samsung 32" with 10% off too while I was there. Same price as Curry's up north for the same model.

sanf wrote: »
    Had a snafu with my CC ordering the PS3 on Powercity's website. In the interim the price went back up to €299.95 around lunchtime so with 10% off it was €270. Went up to the local branch and got them to pull out my failed order, they honoured the price at €252, sweet. Got a Samsung 32" with 10% off too while I was there. Same price as Curry's up north for the same model.

Was that the 32lEB530? Your Samsung tv?

How is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

tk123 wrote: »
    When you 'order online' you're really just reserving it. They call you back to confirm the order, then you have to print the order email they send and bring it and the card you used to order to the store - they don't take any cash off you until you go to the store. I learnt this when I ordered my parent's new washing machine - ended up having to go over with my dad to collect it..

Not true in my case. I purchased a dyson vacuum cleaner on their website last weekend. I received a call and headed out to the Tallaght store to collect the dyson. I was told I had to give them my credit card as the website purchase is just a reservation (even though I entered my credit card details). It seemed a bit strange to me but they assured me my card would only be charged once. Anyway I handed over the card and sure enough two days later noticed I had been charged twice. I called Powercity and was told they would investigate and issue a credit card refund. Three days later I'm still waiting for the refund.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PMC999 wrote: »
    Not true in my case. I purchased a dyson vacuum cleaner on their website last weekend. I received a call and headed out to the Tallaght store to collect the dyson. I was told I had to give them my credit card as the website purchase is just a reservation (even though I entered my credit card details). It seemed a bit strange to me but they assured me my card would only be charged once. Anyway I handed over the card and sure enough two days later noticed I had been charged twice. I called Powercity and was told they would investigate and issue a credit card refund. Three days later I'm still waiting for the refund.

Call your credit card company and tell them. They will refund the charge and penalise Power City for it.

Advertisement