Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows xp won't start up

Options
  • 25-09-2008 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

:mad:hi,i'm am in a spot of bother,i seem to have deleted a system file(Windows root\system32\hal.dll)and now windows wont start.i have a iqon pc and didn't recieve an installation disc with the pc so i can't repair it via the disc.i tried a friends xp disc but it wont give me the option to repair it,only to install it again,which i don't want to do as it requires formatting the hd,which i don't want to do as i will lose all my files.i was thinking of putting my hd in my mates pc and use it as a slave to try and salvage my files,is this a complecated job and will it work,or has anyone any other solutions.thanking you in advance for your help;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

You don't have to re format the drive to install Windows again, when it asks you which drive partition you want to install to just select the current Windows partition and then select "Leave the current file system intact". That should leave all your files on the drive, though you will probably have to reinstall a lot of your software such as Office etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

peterflln wrote: »
    :mad:hi,i'm am in a spot of bother,i seem to have deleted a system file(Windows root\system32\hal.dll)and now windows wont start.;)

This is probably being caused by a missing/corrupt hal.dll file or a missing/corrupt boot.ini file

Repair boot.ini:

Use your friends XP disk to start the recovery console (choose R at the menu)If it prompts you for an admin password the chances are this is going to be blank unless you have changed it yourself.

enter the follwoing command

bootcfg /list
    this will show the current boot.ini file or return an error if none is detected

BootCfg /Rebuild
    this will scan your disk for the XP installation follow the prompts to rebuild the boot.ini file
    Add installation to boot list?
    Y
    Enter Load Identifier:
    Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition (depending on your version)
    Enter OS Load options:
    /Fastdetect

hit enter and then type exit to reboot the PC

Repair hal.dll:

A backup copy of the hal.dll is stored in c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    if you can slave the drive to another drive you will be able to copy that file to c:\windows\system32 (you will need to go into TOOLs -> FOLDER OPTIONS and check Show Hidden Files and Folders and uncheck Hide Protected Operating system Files to see these files)

Alternatively

Use your friends XP disk to start the recovery console (choose R at the menu)
    If it prompts you for an admin password the chances are this is going to be blank unless you have changed it yourself.

A copy of the hal.dll is held on the i386 folder on the CD

Carry out the following commands

(as you have already deleted the original hal.dll file there is no point making a back up copy or moving it to a tmp folder)

expand d:\i386\hal.dll c:\windows\system32\hal.dll (where d is the drive letter of your dvd drive - so you may need to change this as appropriate)
    then type exit
    the pc will then reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I am having the same problem and I followed R3al's commands and it worked, I could start Windows, I copied the hal.dll file and over wrote the existing one. Worked grand...except when I restart my laptop, same issue! I gotta go through the commands again even though I replaced the hal.dll file!
    What am I doing wrong??? Why is this error still coming up? Any help greatly appreciated.

R3al - thanks so far for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubfir

From the cmd prompt ....regsvr32 c:\windows\system32 \hal.dll

Thanks Dubfir, but when I do that I get the error -
    LoadLibrary("c:\windows\system32\hal.dll") failed - Invalid access to memory location
    What should I do now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 F1reddog

robo wrote: »
    Thanks Dubfir, but when I do that I get the error -
    What should I do now?
    Hi Did you try using the "last know good configuration option" so when windows is booting, hit F8 a couple of times, and when it presents you the menu of boot options, choose last know good configuration.

This doesnt always work, but its worth mentioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

try reboot ,hold down f8,safe mode, directory services restore mode,that should fix boot files enough to boot up in safe mode.

Neither worked...with F8.

Any other ideas...other than reinstall windows, I am trying to avoid that, but I can do it if I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubfir

Try from the cmd prompt... sfc /scannow and check out this site if u hit probs
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Advertisement