Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail appeal

Options
  • 24-06-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hello i am just looking on advice on how to appeal against a fine. yesterday i received a fine of 103.15 euro. i am 16 years old and thought that i was eligible for a childs ticket as it was my first time using the dart. i then got stopped by a ticket inspector who explained to me that i had bought the wrong ticket and issued me with a fine, he then told me that i should appeal against this as i was unaware that i had purchased the wrong ticket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Details here,
    If you wish to appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice, with which you have been issued, you must do so in writing or via email to the addresses shown on the receipt given to you by the inspector within 21 DAYS. Failure to pay will lead to a prosecution and a Criminal conviction plus a fine of up to a €1000 in the District Courts

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/fixedpenaltydlleaflet1.pdf?v=grhucpe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

To be fair the ticket machines clearly show the under 16 requirement next to child tickets

You are not a case of fare evasion but a case of fraudulent travel which is a lot easier to prove in court.

Chalk it down to experience and pay up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can buy them at a TVM without needing to purchase an adult ticket now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 db7898

I know how to appeal I just don't know what to write

Yes you can,

• Advertisement

To be fair the ticket machines clearly show the under 16 requirement next to child tickets

You are not a case of fare evasion but a case of fraudulent travel which is a lot easier to prove in court.

Chalk it down to experience and pay up
    I know but the inspector told me to appeal

Yes you can,

I can what

You can buy them at a TVM without needing to purchase an adult ticket now?
    What is a tvm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

db7898 wrote: »
    What is a tvm

Ticket Vending Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

db7898 wrote: »
    I know how to appeal I just don't know what to write

There isnt a lot you can tell them apart from what you posted in the opening post. Just bear in mind that with all the grief thats has been caused by gangs of youths on the dart these past few sunny days , Irish Rail might not have much sympathy for your case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    ... Just bear in mind that with all the grief thats has been caused by gangs of youths on the dart these past few sunny days , Irish Rail might not have much sympathy for your case.

:pac::pac::pac:

I would have hoped that IR looks at appeals on a case by case basis.

Not if the stars were aligned in a certain way, the train to Ennis was sold out or three darts in a row were on time.

But maybe they do work the way you describe ...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Appeal your fine explaining it was a genuine mistake on your part, I'm sure irish rail will consider scrapping it. Seen recently in the papers IR scrapped a major fine for a fraudulent traveller using a year old pass

lil5 wrote: »

Not if the stars were aligned in a certain way, the train to Ennis was sold out or three darts in a row were on time.

But maybe they do work the way you describe ...

Im sure that they do .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

lil5 wrote: »

Yes and this case is a simple one where there is no reason to uphold an appeal.

Even if the OP's tale of being a DART virgin who was completely ignorant of the rules and had no idea that 16 meant adult ticket is true he still didn't bother to find out.

Despite this supposed ignorance he did manage to find the cheapest possible option, funny how that happens with clueless folk isn't it, they invariably manage to stumble into finding the invalid ticket that saves them the most cash.

IE would be stupid to entertain this nonsense, he used a cheaper ticket he was not entitled to use and was caught, fine was appropriate, no valid grounds for an appeal, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Yes and this case is a simple one where there is no reason to uphold an appeal.

Even if the OP's tale of being a DART virgin who was completely ignorant of the rules and had no idea that 16 meant adult ticket is true he still didn't bother to find out.

Despite this supposed ignorance he did manage to find the cheapest possible option, funny how that happens with clueless folk isn't it, they invariably manage to stumble into finding the invalid ticket that saves them the most cash.

IE would be stupid to entertain this nonsense, he used a cheaper ticket he was not entitled to use and was caught, fine was appropriate, no valid grounds for an appeal, end of story.
    how is he supposed to "bother to find out" either he will see it when buying it on the machine, or he won't. there are grounds for an appeal if its decided there are by irish rail or a court if it was to go that far. its not "nonsense" and irish rail have a duty to hear his appeal. they will say yes or no . appeal op

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

how is he supposed to "bother to find out" either he will see it when buying it on the machine, or he won't. there are grounds for an appeal if its decided there are by irish rail or a court if it was to go that far. its not "nonsense" and irish rail have a duty to hear his appeal. they will say yes or no . appeal op

Strictly speaking there is no legal obligation on Irish Rail to accept an appeal. No reference in the Transport Act, Rail Safety Act or bye laws. Your course of appeal is to refuse to pay the penalty fare and go to court

Strictly speaking there is no legal obligation on Irish Rail to accept an appeal. No reference in the Transport Act, Rail Safety Act or bye laws. Your course of appeal is to refuse to pay the penalty fare and go to court
    i stated they had a duty. i didn't state "they have a legal duty" so my point still stands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The whole "you should appeal" comment from the inspector is a line given to most im sure, kind of to appease the passenger and get them out of the way. Show some sympathy and hope they go away focusing on the appeal not the inspector.

I suspect you are legit but you had an invalid ticket so were rightly fined. Personally I would appeal and hope that they believe your story and are lenient.

Good luck

By all means appeal but i don't rate your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

how is he supposed to "bother to find out" either he will see it when buying it on the machine, or he won't.

The same way everyone else is supposed to find out; by asking the man in the office, reading the text on the TVM, looking it up on the internet, etc.

Ignorance of the law is not a justification for breaking it.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The same way everyone else is supposed to find out; by asking the man in the office, reading the text on the TVM, looking it up on the internet, etc.

Ignorance of the law is not a justification for breaking it.
    it is when its an irish rail law that probably isn't clarified properly, or somewhere where it can be read easily. maybe there was nothing on the ticket machine or a man or anyone in the office when he booked it. maybe he didn't book online. frankly, as were dealing with a company who refuses to enforce its revenue collection properly, continuously buries their head in the sand, i'l have to tend to potentially believe the op for now

it is when its an irish rail law that probably isn't clarified properly, or somewhere where it can be read easily. maybe there was nothing on the ticket machine or a man or anyone in the office when he booked it. maybe he didn't book online. frankly, as were dealing with a company who refuses to enforce its revenue collection properly, continuously buries their head in the sand, i'l have to tend to potentially believe the op for now

All, ifs, whatevers and maybes wont win you an appeal. Quit scrapping the bottom of the barrel looking for an excuse . Its simple, he got caught with the wrong ticket and got fined and there is no reason that they will cancel it.

OP, get yourself a childs leap card 16-18 year old. I think you get a week free or so with that card next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    OP, get yourself a childs leap card 16-18 year old. I think you get a week free or so with that card next month.
    https://www.childleapcard.ie/kids-go-free/
    Kids Go Free (6th July to 19th July 2015)

With child Leap Card (4-15 and 16 – 18) you can go on some great family days out this July. From 6th July to 19th July, when you use your child Leap Card on any of the following services it will cost you nothing – nada – zilch!

* All Dublin Bus scheduled services (excluding Airlink)
    * All Luas services
    * All DART services
    * All Commuter Rail services in Dublin’s “Short Hop Zone”
    * Bus Éireann services where Leap Card Validators are available. This includes:
    * Bus Éireann services in Dublin and surrounding counties (Excluding Xpressway)
    * Bus Éireann Services in Cork city, Limerick city, Galway city, and Waterford city
    * Swords Express
    * Ashbourne Connect
    * Express Bus
    * Wexford Bus (Connect services only – the WX1 service in Wexford Town, Wexford to Rosslare, Wexford to Kilmore Quay and Wexford to Castlebridge services)

Please note, while you are charged nothing, you need to have at least 1 cent on your card to travel. If you already have a child Leap Card just use it as normal during the free period and you won’t be charged. So, what are you waiting for? Plan some great days out with your child Leap Card today.

Spread the word!

Advertisement