Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Split CV boot kit [Dublin]

• 09-02-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

Hey

Where in Dublin can I buy one of these? Nct retest next week and want to try one of these.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

any motor factors or a main dealer or even online from the liks of micksgarage (normally the motor factors will be the cheapest option )- what kind of car have you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

any motor factors or a main dealer or even online from the liks of micksgarage (normally the motor factors will be the cheapest option )- what kind of car have you

Its a 98 civic, those split cv boots seem like an easy option instead of splitting the joint. I believe the boot screws together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

If you are doing it yourself and want to save some hassle fair enough but I got a mechanic to put one on my mothers car. He charged 60 quid all in. If you are getting someone else to do it i would make them do it the old fashioned way with a normal boot as you wont save much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Tried these a few times in the past and didn't like them at all .
    Found them very fiddly to do - you have to be very careful not to get any grease in the way of the joint ; the split is sealed by a 'lip' on one side slotting into a 'groove' on the other side - they are kept together by an adhesive ;hard to get correct if you are working under a car.
    Maybe they have improved the design as I its a while since I used them .
    They were originally produced by a company called Bailcast I think and seemed a good idea - saved removing joint from hub , removing joint from shaft etc .;
    but if you don't get everything just right they may fail soon again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I've used these a few times and found them great if you managed to keep the grease away as mentioned.
    The way to do this is wrap the driveshaft and cv joint in cling film before you start... Works a treat. ;)
    Once you've joined up the boot you can remove the cling film and grease it all up and reassemble.
    Splitting the cv joint isn't usually a big ordeal either.

Marty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement