Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Almera problem

Options
  • 07-02-2014 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭

My sister bought a 2006 Almera sxe 100,000 miles last Friday. Two days later the car starts to lose power, judder and the engine management light starts flashing. She eventually got to work but when she drove home the car was back to normal, the next day there's more loss of power and juddering and now the engine management light is on constantly.

The guy she bought the car from said the car was lying idle for a good while. My sister told me she let the pertrol get very low, the light was on for a good 15 miles when this all started. She then filled up again but the problem persists.

Could dirty petrol cause this problem or is it something more serious like the timing chain?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

I used to own an Almera, it was a great car for a few years but one day on the way home from work it done the same thing as you've described. Cant remember if it went back to normal for a while but it eventually stayed like that anyway. My mechanic couldn't fix it, and I took it to a Nissan garage to run diagnostic tests on it, and they couldn't help. I managed to drive it around for a while until I got a new car, and had to sell the Almera for scrap. Hope its not the same issue with this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It could be several things. As the EML is on there will be fault codes stored in the onboard computer, she should get those read by a local mechanic.
    Was it a private sale or a dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Private sale. I went with her to look at it as she knows nothing about cars. I test drove it and it was fine.

A few people have mentioned the timing chain could be fooked...

Don't panic just yet. Get the codes read and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

BNMC wrote: »
    Private sale. I went with her to look at it as she knows nothing about cars. I test drove it and it was fine.

A few people have mentioned the timing chain could be fooked...

That would have been obvious on the test drive.
    Locate the filters, if any, and change them. Then add a sizeable amount of dipetane to the petrol and see if succeeds in flushing it out.
    Whats a "good while"? Moisture could have collected in the fuel tank and then it gets trapped in the filter with the symptoms that you describe.

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    That would have been obvious on the test drive.
    Locate the filters, if any, and change them. Then add a sizeable amount of dipetane to the petrol and see if succeeds in flushing it out.
    Whats a "good while"? Moisture could have collected in the fuel tank and then it gets trapped in the filter with the symptoms that you describe.
    I'm not sure, he just said it hasn't been driven for a while. The car is perfect in every other way.

The problem is intermittent which is why I think it's dirty petrol.

Thanks for the suggestion. Think I'll get someone to do a diagnostic check before I do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

If its dirty petrol the diagnostic codes could lead you down the wrong path. Change the fuel filter, cheap and easy, rule it in or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Have a look at the brakes as a sticky caliper could be the cause of the juddering and the engine management light in the car could be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Having codes read is OK but as pointed could the codes could lead you down an 'expensive' path considering the cars history.
    Attention to the fuel system would , as said, be a good starting point . New fuel filter - and maybe se what kind of gunk is in old one . Running very low on fuel could also put the fuel pump under pressure - has it got noisy maybe .
    An oil and filter change might help also (make sure engine is hot so oil flows out easily and brings the gunk with it ) - and if you get it running reasonably well a good long drive could help.
    If it was going well when you drove it I don't think a problem with the chain would develop that quickly .
    The fact that the problem followed a very low fuel level might indicate a problem with fuel supply. Condensation in distributor cap maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I believe a mate of mine had similar problem, it would lose power when the foot was put down, engine management light on, turned out it was cam shaft sensor on his. He didn't have the problem driving around town, just when racing the engine. Also might be worth checking to make sure timing chain isn't stretched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

I am 99% sure you can't change fuel filter on these,i think it built into the pump ......

Got a diagnostic check earlier. Cylinder 1 misfire came up. Was told to change coil pack and plugs.

Drove perfectly today for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Should have been first things to look at

I presume cylinder 1 is the first one on the left looking at it from the front of my car?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

If the gearbox is to the right then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I am 99% sure you can't change fuel filter on these,i think it built into the pump ......

Correct, there is no serviceable fuel filter under the bonnet or beside the fuel tank. I would presume there is one built into the fuel pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Did you get this resolved and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

OP hasn't posted in 3 years so you may not get a reply

Old thread lock.
    Start new thread with your specific details.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement