Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Grand Canal Dock

Options
  • 23-04-2011 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

It is possible that I will have to commute to Grand Canal dock daily, I currently am in Celbridge, and was wondering if driving there is a good idea...

I am considering moving but don't want to live in Dublin (want a house in a nice area that doesn't cost and arm and leg), what location would be good from commuting point of view (by car, maybe by commuter train / dart).??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Dublin Bus Route 67 operates from Merrion Square, a 10 minute walk from Grand Canal Dock. This serves Celbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

KD345 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus Route 67 operates from Merrion Square, a 10 minute walk from Grand Canal Dock. This serves Celbridge.

Thanks, sorry I forgot to mention, I am not really willing to use buses, it's too much time, I'd spend 1,5 hours one way easy ( I could drive there in the same time), I don't live close to any bus stop currently :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

jaceq wrote: »
    Thanks, sorry I forgot to mention, I am not really willing to use buses, it's too much time, I'd spend 1,5 hours one way easy ( I could drive there in the same time), I don't live close to any bus stop currently :(

Well if you want to use public transport yet are unwilling to use a bus as it seemingly takes too long, your sole option is the train from either Hazelhatch or Maynooth; I'd opt for the latter as it's direct. If you drive in, you will need to have access to parking off road as it will cost you fortunes daily for on street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Train from Leixlip. The 8:05 from Louisa Bridge gets into GCD at 8:50 (slow considering the distance (~12 miles) involved tho).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

n97_mini, I did see any direct connection on irish rail site, did you direct one?

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean? The 8:05 service is direct, there is no connection needed. It's the only one that is direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jarv

Hi All,

I am based in Palmerstown/Lucan just by the hermitage medical centre and am changing jobs so will need to get to Grand Canal Dock (by Google). The bus journey takes approx 1.5 hours. Any other ideas as to if there is a dart route which may work/which dart route is the closest/approx journey lengths? Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Why is the Irish rail station called Grand Canal Dock? Barrow St would of been better. Its like this whole s**te of Hilton Dublin Airport, when its no where near the Airport. Luas springs to mind to. Brides Glen, call it Cherrywood FFS, Cherrywood being the stop before near Tullyvale.

so will need to get to Grand Canal Dock (by Google).

Not Grand Canal Dock, but called Barrow Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Why is the Irish rail station called Grand Canal Dock? Barrow St would of been better. Its like this whole s**te of Hilton Dublin Airport, when its no where near the Airport. Luas springs to mind to. Brides Glen, call it Cherrywood FFS, Cherrywood being the stop before near Tullyvale.

Because it actually is on the Grand Canal Dock, Joe :)

• Advertisement

Yea but would Barrow street not of been better no?, Considering the big companys there like google etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Err, not really. Until Google moved in, most people wouldn't have a clue where Barrow Street was. Even now, very few would know where Barrow Street is. However, Grand Canal Dock has been there for a long time, describes an entire area and is just generally more descriptive.

Incidentally, if you look at old maps of the area the station is (well, technically the platforms) actually built on top of part of the dock that was infilled. Originally the space between it and upper/lower Grand Canal Street was water.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, but not everyone knows where Barrow St is. (I didn't until someone pointed out that Google is there & I live just across the river in the IFSC) The Grand Canal Dock area is an actual area, not just a street. There is a lot more to it than just Google. It makes more sense to name the station after the whole area than just the street that it is on. It makes it easier for people who don't know Dublin well, but know that where they are going to is in the Grand Canal general area (such as to the theatre) to know where to get off.

edit, um yeah, what zagmund said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Firstly the bus does not take 1.5 hours one way from the Hermitage to the City Centre. How you think that I do not know.

The 25a and 25b both use the Chapelizod by-pass and will take you to the city centre (College Street or Nassau Street) in between 20 minutes (off-peak) and 35 minutes (peak). You can either catch a 1, 2, 3, 56a or 77a from Townsend Street to Grand Canal Dock (max journey time 10 minutes), DART from Tara Street to Grand Canal Dock (3 mins), or walk (15 minutes or so). That's a journey time of 50 minutes max.

There are no faster alternatives using public transport from the Hermitage.

Thanks for the replies, timed the journey door to door this week i.e. walking to the bus stop, waiting time to changes buses and walking to google which took 1.5 hours given a leaving time of 7.30 am. Just wanted to check if the Dart/Luas was a better option but doesn't sound as if there is.

Many thanks

There are no rail lines anywhere near the Hermitage.

Check Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's about a 40 min cycle from the Hermitage clinic to Google. Failing that, the bus is your best option, no train lines going anywhere near Lucan/Palmerstown.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

jarv wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, timed the journey door to door this week i.e. walking to the bus stop, waiting time to changes buses and walking to google which took 1.5 hours given a leaving time of 7.30 am. Just wanted to check if the Dart/Luas was a better option but doesn't sound as if there is.

Many thanks

Can I suggest that you use the Dublin Bus Real Time Passenger Information to minimise waiting time at the bus stop.

What buses did you take?

I just find it difficult to believe that such a trip could take that long, unless the initial walk to the bus stop is long?

It's a 10/15min walk to the bus stop outside the King's Hospital School, I then get any of the X's into town. Am somtimes lucky and get a bus straight away, other mornings can wait 10 mins (no working real time passenger info at this bu stop yet). The traffic just gets really bad as soon as you hit Heuston. When it all goes perfectly takes pprox 1hr 5 min but can take 1.5 hrs depending on waiting times. Was thinking of using the buses in the morning and maybe getting the Dart from Grand Canal Dock/Barrow Street to Clonsilla/Lexslip and then get picked up by car from there in the evenings. Cycling also sounds like it might be an option.

Thanks so much for all the replies, very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jarv wrote: »
    no working real time passenger info at this bu stop yet

If you have internet on your phone, you can look up the RTPI using the bus stop number on www.dublinbus.ie

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Gary5698

You can get any bus from lucan into nasseau street. Bus 4 or 7 from nasseau street up to grand canal. 50 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Gary5698 wrote: »
    You can get any bus from lucan into nasseau street. Bus 4 or 7 from nasseau street up to grand canal. 50 mins

Gary, the question was asked over 3 years ago - he's probably sorted...:)

ps - welcome to Boards.

Advertisement