Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can I buy printed maps

• 19-06-2015 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi, I need maps of the towns and villages in Co Leitrim, anyone any idea where to buy them? os Ireland don't have them. I need the physical maps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Discovery series (1:50,000) are the most detailed maps covering the entire country you can get off the shelf, there are more detailed maps available for selected parts of the country, including Dublin city and Killarney National Park. If you want anything more specific or at a larger scale, you'll need to talk to their digital sales division, take a look here ....

http://www.osi.ie/Products/Professional-Mapping/Large-Scale.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

coylemj wrote: »
    The Discovery series (1:50,000) are the most detailed maps covering the entire country you can get off the shelf, there are more detailed maps available for selected parts of the country, including Dublin city and Killarney National Park. If you want anything more specific or at a larger scale, you'll need to talk to their digital sales division, take a look here ....

http://www.osi.ie/Products/Professional-Mapping/Large-Scale.aspx

I was already talking to osi, they cant help me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I was already talking to osi, they cant help me.

I find that difficult to believe - they're the statutory mapping agency and have detailed maps of the entire country.

But if they don't have them I'm not sure anywhere else will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

try your local county council

lxflyer wrote: »
    I find that difficult to believe - they're the statutory mapping agency and have detailed maps of the entire country.

But if they don't have them I'm not sure anywhere else will.

they don't have them, I found it very hard to believe myself.

• Advertisement

try your local county council

been there done that, no joy either, couldn't believe it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You're going to have to give more information as to what level of mapping you're looking for, i.e. what scale, what level of detail, i.e. street / house level or more of a topographic map like the 1:50k Discovery maps.

OSi have digital mapping available down to a scale of 1:5000 available for the entire country, and even down to 1:1000 for urban areas, but they obviously don't keep a stock of maps to the kind of scale in paper form for the entire country on the off chance someone might want one, that would be just impractical. They will however, sell you anything you want in digital or paper form, as long as you're prepared to pay for it as it's primarily aimed at professional users.

Alun wrote: »
    You're going to have to give more information as to what level of mapping you're looking for, i.e. what scale, what level of detail, i.e. street / house level or more of a topographic map like the 1:50k Discovery maps.

OSi have digital mapping available down to a scale of 1:5000 available for the entire country, and even down to 1:1000 for urban areas, but they obviously don't keep a stock of maps to the kind of scale in paper form for the entire country on the off chance someone might want one, that would be just impractical. They will however, sell you anything you want in digital or paper form, as long as you're prepared to pay for it as it's primarily aimed at professional users.

I need them for the spsv test, so will need estates, hospitals, street names, garda stations etc on them. I rang the osi and they said they used to sell them to taxi drivers but not anymore, they told me to contact the national transport authority but they couldn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A bit of a workaround, but you could print off Google maps for villages.

A bit of a workaround, but you could print off Google maps for villages.

i am not finding google maps that great, it seems like printing them is not much use.

• Advertisement

What about asking the department in charge of the spv… whatever the test's called; they're the ones that know how to get around this.

Another thought - might be no good, but - I went into the Tourist Information place in Galway recently and they had small street maps of several towns, free. They were prominent towns - Galway, Kilkenny, Cork - but still, it might be worth asking.

What about asking the department in charge of the spv… whatever the test's called; they're the ones that know how to get around this.

Another thought - might be no good, but - I went into the Tourist Information place in Galway recently and they had small street maps of several towns, free. They were prominent towns - Galway, Kilkenny, Cork - but still, it might be worth asking.

The transport authority just said to use google maps, I tried the tourist centre and they gave me 2 or 3 maps which was a help. need a few more though.

I know what you mean about Google Maps not being great. They don't seem to really get the idea of street names.

352583.png

Ordnance Survey Map Viewer isn't any better:

352589.png

Really, it seems like it would be a good plan for an association of professional drivers to get together and share the best maps.

352589.png

Really, it seems like it would be a good plan for an association of professional drivers to get together and share the best maps.

good point, I suppose its just easier for them to tell people to use google maps:)

352589.png

OpenStreetMap anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

How about the AA Road atlas for Ireland?

The Leitrim OSI Discovery ISBN looks like
    978-1-907122-83-5
    Which isn't in Easons.

There's this crowd...

http://mapshoplamination.com/index.php/
    01 6204124
    sales@mapshoplamination.com
    12 Canal Walk, Parkwest Industrial Estate, Nangor Road, Dublin 12

who like most businesses in Ireland look like they need help finishing and tidying their (Magento) website, but claim to have these maps in stock and the capability to print them in large format.

Or
    http://www.themapcentre.net/digital-mapping.html
    who say they're licensed to print OSi maps.

Better than the OSI, where the shop.osi.ie site seems to have failed.
    Nothing available online from Tourist offices by the looks of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Can you not download and print maps from OSI (probably for a fistful of €€€€€s, but they surely haven't run out of electrons)?

Or various other mapping services, such as:

Apple Maps, if you have an Apple device (I know they got a lot of stick when they first came out, but I don't think they're worse than Google).

Bing Maps.

Open Street Map (they're crowdsourced, so you're at the mercy of however diligent their editors are).

Streetmap.co.uk

Multimap.

No idea what these services are like to print from, mind.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    No idea what these services are like to print from, mind.

Brilliant suggests - never knew there were so many maps!

What I did to make images of the maps above was a screen shot (on Mac, cmd-shft-3 or if you want a specific part of the page, cmd-shft-4).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I know what you mean about Google Maps not being great. They don't seem to really get the idea of street names.

I don't think the problem lies with Google Maps.

They use street names obtained from Councils etc.

If they don't officially name streets, then Google cannot load them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Former OSI employee here. Go into any of their agents (list on website) or the shop in the Phoenix Park and they can print off detailed maps for you. Most if not all can go as large as A0. It's not cheap though.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Former OSI employee here. Go into any of their agents (list on website) or the shop in the Phoenix Park and they can print off detailed maps for you. Most if not all can go as large as A0. It's not cheap though.

Why not? Isn't it a nationally owned resource?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Because most of their one-off sales are to the commercial sector where they can demand premium prices. There's no doubt that for consumers their prices are prohibitive.

I wouldn't dispute that it's a nationally owned resource, but it still has to be paid for. So it's either the taxpayer or those who actually need maps.

Yeah, but other countries don't seem to do this - or so I was told by someone working in the OS when I cried out at being asked €300 for a map.

Some do, some don't. But personally I'd prefer the tax payer didn't foot the entire bill (OSI already receives a subsidy). If it's too expensive maybe efficiencies can be found.

Some do, some don't. But personally I'd prefer the tax payer didn't foot the entire bill (OSI already receives a subsidy). If it's too expensive maybe efficiencies can be found.

Surely it's basically a question of pressing a button now, though? Why so dear?

As the costs stand they don't cover the running of the organisation. There is constant resurveying required, a lot of it aerial etc.

There is no doubt efficiencies could be found though. For starters there are too many offices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 ticklemetoe

As the costs stand they don't cover the running of the organisation. There is constant resurveying required, a lot of it aerial etc.

There is no doubt efficiencies could be found though. For starters there are too many offices.

shut it down, google and others do a better job and it don't cost the tax payers a penny.

• Advertisement

shut it down, google and others do a better job and it don't cost the tax payers a penny.

Google's data doesn't have detail levels remotely close or as up to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 ticklemetoe

Google's data doesn't have detail levels remotely close or as up to date.

google is free, its good enough unless you are a stalker looking to track someone down.

google is free, its good enough unless you are a stalker looking to track someone down.

It's not good enough if you're looking to lay cables and you want to know how wide the footpath is. Nor does it have detail of that ring fort that's in your field which basically means you can't sell, etc etc. There is a huge amount of meta data Google doesn't carry.

Even for cycling, Google maps aren't that great - it has a nasty tendency not to name roads, often major roads, or to identify them only by those R and N road numbers, which can stretch for hundreds of miles and mean nothing to someone who's looking for a city street or suburban road.

Later edit: here's a typical example of Google being useless - I want to cycle to Eurocycles off… umm… some road called R110:

353989.png

Advertisement