Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fare Evaders

• 15-04-2015 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm so sick of seeing young teenagers avoiding fares traveling on the DART, while 90% of us, honestly pay our fares. The Dart costs me €4.60 per day, and i feel sick paying that to get to and from college, and these young fellas hop the gate, or go through the barrier behind someone else.
    Today when i was coming home, the man in the ticket booth, was staring at them directly, did nothing just stared them out of it until they left the station. No fine, no anything.
    There should be an inspector at every station, making sure every has the correct ticket, and fine them if they don't.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

same reason the luas red line is in bits mate.....no one wants the hassle of dealing with the trouble makers and fare dodgers, they make enough from everyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

It would help if the guys at the stations cared.

Tailgating and hurdling the barriers is rampant.

would you care for the money they are likely on? like I said, not worth the hassle and certainly not worth a fight or their life!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If they are not going to do anything about it then honestly, it begs the question why should the honest passenger pay their fare if nobody enforces it?

I've never skipped a fare in my life but considering the volume of people I do see skipping a fare, why should I pay to be on an overcrowded DART because someone else is diddling irish Rail out of the money that could pay for the extra carriages?

do you want to run the risk of getting a fine? if so dont pay! i wouldnt so i do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

would you care for the money they are likely on? like I said, not worth the hassle and certainly not worth a fight or their life!

I really hate this as an excuse - it's your job to enforce it, you agreed to it when you took the job.

When I was 18-21 I worked in a cinema for minimum wage while in college - part of my job was kicking people (both kids and adults, usually little trouble makers) out of screens who didn't have tickets. None of us working there said "sorry, not paid enough to deal with this". We'd have been sacked, and rightly so. And you know what, when they learned that we would catch them within 5 mins and kick them out, or better still stop them entering in the first place, they soon stopped and started paying.

Thats great, honestly it is. Now go tell those working in the train stations etc to do their jobs right! I wouldnt even do that job knowing the trouble i would likely have to deal with.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Thats great, honestly it is. Now go tell those working in the train stations etc to do their jobs right! I wouldnt even do that job knowing the trouble i would likely have to deal with.

With respect, it's not my job or place to tell them. Their managers and supervisors certaintly should be though.

apart from big train stations like heuston and connolly have you really seen any managers or supervisors though? i mean most train stations are unmanned most of the time and if by the luck of god you get someone there they are sitting behind a pane of glass not doing much at all, and if the ticket machine is out of order when there is no one there, well there are many threads here that show you what happens!!! I know its not your place nor job to tell them to do theirs. The only real way to fix the issue is have full time security at most stops and have conductors routinely along the lines. They dont and i really doubt they ever will because, us idiots will pay more and more every year to cover the loss they make on dodgers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

It would help if the guys at the stations cared.

Tailgating and hurdling the barriers is rampant.

Honestly some of you here want butter and jam on both sides of your bread, the guys at the station don't care but the bus driver did care and you are quick to put the boot into him as well. If the guy on the 33 had just kept his head down decided it was not his concern what people paid you would have a go, when he does care you have a go.

• Advertisement

cdebru wrote: »
    Honestly some of you here want butter and jam on both sides of your bread, the guys at the station don't care but the bus driver did care and you are quick to put the boot into him as well. If the guy on the 33 had just kept his head down decided it was not his concern what people paid you would have a go, when he does care you have a go.

all due respect, dublin bus drivers love a bit of power!

the same model needs to be applied to busses, more conductors and some security! honestly he is a bus driver he should only have to drive!

a bit of an effort from dublin bus and cie and ie and they could recoup their losses and make it cheaper for everyone. 8 years getting the bus and i have only been inspected twice. I dont want to derail the thread but sometimes dublin bus drivers get a bad name, sometimes its justified others its not. But get security and it should change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'm so sick of seeing young teenagers avoiding fares traveling on the DART, while 90% of us, honestly pay our fares. The Dart costs me €4.60 per day, and i feel sick paying that to get to and from college, and these young fellas hop the gate, or go through the barrier behind someone else.
    Today when i was coming home, the man in the ticket booth, was staring at them directly, did nothing just stared them out of it until they left the station. No fine, no anything.
    There should be an inspector at every station, making sure every has the correct ticket, and fine them if they don't.

All they can do is ring the RPU and let them deal with it. Leaving the desk and chasing after a fare dodger is not a good thing to do and you leave yourself open to personal injury or a claim from a disgruntled passenger who could have had an annual ticket anyway.
    They might jump the barrier at one station but there is a chance that they might get caught at the other end, just like the 35 that got done in Connolly the other week. Its better for Irish Rail that you dont pay as they will make more money when they catch you. Paying the €4:60 is better than paying the €100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭woodrow wyatt

Guardian Angels
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardian_Angels
    If you are so annoyed set up your own branch in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I really hate this as an excuse - it's your job to enforce it, you agreed to it when you took the job.

When I was 18-21 I worked in a cinema for minimum wage while in college - part of my job was kicking people (both kids and adults, usually little trouble makers) out of screens who didn't have tickets. None of us working there said "sorry, not paid enough to deal with this". We'd have been sacked, and rightly so. And you know what, when they learned that we would catch them within 5 mins and kick them out, or better still stop them entering in the first place, they soon stopped and started paying.

A friend of mine worked on the catering team on the Enterprise some years ago.

One Saturday evening he closed up the bar at Drogheda as per normal. Three lads who he knew to be regular passengers approached him and asked him for drink. He said to then that the bar was shut and was the recipient of several punches to his face for his troubles, losing several teeth, a black eye and 10 weeks of work as a result of pleasantly doing his days work.

I sincerely hope that you didn't have eject the likes of them in your cinema but this is par for the course for public transport staff, private and public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Wouldn't happen if the fares were fair (lol)

Tbh fair play to them, not giving in to the complete incompetence of CIE.

When they bring those ridiculous fares down, it'll stop happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Mahogany wrote: »
    Wouldn't happen if the fares were fair (lol)

Tbh fair play to them, not giving in to the complete incompetence of CIE.

When they bring those ridiculous fares down, it'll stop happening.

I can't see that to be honest. It will still happen until its all free.

Well it might not stop happening altogether but I'm fairly sure people dodge fares because they can't afford it not for the sake of it.

It'll lessen for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Well it might not stop happening altogether but I'm fairly sure people dodge fares because they can't afford it not for the sake of it.

It'll lessen for sure.
    Most do it because they chance their arm the first morning on the way to work and nobody checks their ticket so they try it again a week or two later and before they know it they are doing it most days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It'll lessen for sure.

Even if the fare was 50cent these persons would continue.

They don't give a rats tail about anything but where they get there free money and do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

I don't know why people keep speaking about fare evasion and saying that a few were cuaght at Connolly etc.

I hate to break it to people, but the big stations are not the ones where the highest amount of ticketless travel is occuring, since the chance of getting caught is much higher.

It's at the smaller, infrequently staffed stations where people are oding it, since the chance og getting caught is a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

HowthJunction is a big one for fare evasion. The station is unmanned most of the time and has very high usage during peak and off peak hours. The Revenue Protection staff did a big raid there about a year ago. There was about 8-10 all on one platform and they nailed a load of people all at once. They would have got more if there was more staff at the time.

Irish Rail could net themselves a couple of grand in a week there if they wanted to. Fish in a barrel situation, only thing is you would need STT/ Brinks security there too to back them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

From what I have seen on the trains and stations over the years it certainly not just the teenagers fare evading I've seen men climbing the fence in Dalkey wearing suites and carrying a briefcase avoiding paying there fare too. IE need to close of the access in stations by building bigger fences. Fare evading is rampant between thw likes of Shankill to Sandycove and Seapoint to Sandymount and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

From what I have seen on the trains and stations over the years it certainly not just the teenagers fare evading I've seen men climbing the fence in Dalkey wearing suites and carrying a briefcase avoiding paying there fare too. IE need to close of the access in stations by building bigger fences. Fare evading is rampant between thw likes of Shankill to Sandycove and Seapoint to Sandymount and so on.

Email them or send a letter.

Its not fair on the rest of us that pay our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Who on earth would seriously climb a ******* fence to avoid paying?! Absolute scum.

Never mind emailing them, we should have a website where the CCTV images of these people can be uploaded :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Who on earth would seriously climb a ******* fence to avoid paying?! Absolute scum.

Never mind emailing them, we should have a website where the CCTV images of these people can be uploaded :D.

You'd be surprised. If even seen professionals, with their new phone in their hand hopping it.

My god, there are far worse things in this world then people dodging a train fare.

Channel the anger into the high fares and lack of quality service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My god, there are far worse things in this world then people dodging a train fare.

I use the DART for 28 weeks of the year, four days per week. On the leap card it costs me €2.29 E/W, so 4.58 each day. That's €18.32 each week, €512.96 per year.

Each year the cost goes up, because the fares go up. I pay, most other people pay, so why should some scrotes be able to get away with paying nothing.

I don't have any complaints about the DART service i travel on. It arrives at 8.14 each morning, and arrives at around 5:25PM, each evening when i need. It's rarely late, except for when there are unexpected delays. The only thing they could do, IMO is have more carriages, so everyone isn't on top of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If nobody evaded their fares then there would be more money to keep fares lower and improve the service, or is that to big a leap in logic for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean9015

But that was in a building with other staff around for back up, and probably other premises close by. Station staff are often on their own, with no other staff nearby and stations are often not near to other commercial premises - and if attacked, may not therefore be able to summon help. A broken nose, a needle wound, a stab wound or worse - would you seriously risk it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Sean9015 wrote: »
    But that was in a building with other staff around for back up, and probably other premises close by. Station staff are often on their own, with no other staff nearby and stations are often not near to other commercial premises - and if attacked, may not therefore be able to summon help. A broken nose, a needle wound, a stab wound or worse - would you seriously risk it?

That's pretty much it. I've had countless threats of harm thrown in my direction merely for doing my job. Often this will come from groups of people as well.

And don't even get me started on the personal insults some people have decided to use when talking to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 ticklemetoe

many years ago db had big crack down on fare evaders, within a few months the word came down from the top to stop, it cost too much money.
    when inspector give a fine he must then attend court, fare evader don't bother to turn up, new court date given , inspector has to turn up for that as well, before you know it inspectors in court more than at work.
    certain judges dismiss all fines, don't care about db or fare paying public.
    get caught 20 times go to court, only in ireland judge make you pay fine once for multiple offences.
    the present db crackdown is by nta request, give it a few months and the nta see how much money it costs and it will be quietly scaled back.

Advertisement