Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deutsch Heute?

Options
  • 28-02-2015 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Used it as both a pupil and student teacher, picked it up in a charity shop today , brought back memories :) The DDR still existed when this book was published :) Anyone else remember it?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tried to teach myself German with it. Failed horribly.

I remember the advice on how to get real petrol for your Western car in the East though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hexagon FTW.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Is that the one with the Franzi cartoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Yes Franzi the pig :) There is at least a Deutsch Heute 2, maybe a 3, but the memories for me are of 1, both sides of the teacher-pupil divide. I used Deutsch Heute 1, and always have had German friends, it all started with Deutsch Heute. Not sure how good a book it was, I blame my first German teacher for my still poor pronunciation, especially the 'ch' sound, his voice was the only one I heard in the pre-internet times, and he was awful, but lot's of memories associated with this book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wasn't there tapes with this too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

51k2ZNRjWSL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

remember it well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

*****shudder *****

That brings back memories. I used that book in school in German class. Not sure what year, I done my leaving in '92.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'Tis all duolingo.com now kids :)

(Es ist alles jetzt duolingo.com Kinder)

I left school when I was 13 so I was never taught German in school, however for some reason there was a copy of the book at home which I never used. I don't remember even opening the bloody thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

I began secondary school in '92 and used the book. Many references to the DDR and GDR even then. Hated the subject due to some terrible teachers and my own lack of aptitude for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

• Advertisement
Advertisement