Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo S40 - Alternator change - ECU reprogramme?

• 27-02-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

Had the Red warning along with the battery indication "power system service urgent" about two years ago. I replaced the alternator myself and it ran fine up until a few days ago.

I have got the same indications appearing, however if I turn off the ignition and restart a minutes later I might not get the indication at all.

My question is, if anyone knows if the 2005 Volvo s40 1.8 requires some kind of a software update when replacing a 120amp alternator with a 150amp.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Hi all,

Had the Red warning along with the battery indication "power system service urgent" about two years ago. I replaced the alternator myself and it ran fine up until a few days ago.

I have got the same indications appearing, however if I turn off the ignition and restart a minutes later I might not get the indication at all.

My question is, if anyone knows if the 2005 Volvo s40 1.8 requires some kind of a software update when replacing a 120amp alternator with a 150amp.

Thanks.

Does this alternator have a clutch pulley? If so, it could be your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Slipperyvin

Wont get a chance to remove alternator until Monday. I'll check that also.
    I'm just surprised that I've gone through two alternators in the space of 2 years.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Slipperyvin

Took the alternator off today, seems the b+ cable (alternator to battery cable) is fairly frayed and brittle.

Am looking online to see if I can source one.

If anyone knows any good sites for Volvo parts can you post a link.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Good spot with the cable - hopefully that's all that's wrong. A good auto electrical house should be able to make a cable up for you?

Advertisement