Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car cutting out while driving

• 26-02-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,i have a 2000 1.4 seat leon and for the last month or so it has been konking out while i'm driving..when i'm coming to a stop or when i actually stop...also when the car is idleing its very low and feels like it wants to cut out(it actually does sometimes)it seems to happen most when the car is up to temperature. does anybody have any idea what could be causing this problem? any help would be greatly appreciated..cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You say it's more noticeable when car is warm? Sounds like crankshaft sensor.
    Any lights on dash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I had the exact same problem with a petrol Laguna a few years ago now. It was a faulty coil pack. I'd say you have the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shasamhails

biko wrote: »
    You say it's more noticeable when car is warm? Sounds like crankshaft sensor.
    Any lights on dash?

no nothing on the dash..i've googled this problem and a few people have suggested the crankshaft sensor aswell..i just had a look at what i think is the sensor and there is black tape wrapped around the wire part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A new sensor is about 50 or so. At this point it's a gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

I'd be pretty confident that your idle control valve is just sticking a little.

So before looking to replace expensive parts, buy a can of carb cleaner from your local motor factors and strip back from the air intake until you get to the idle valve (butterfly valve). You'll probably find that it has a sticky buildup on it. Clean it with carb cleaner and all should be good again..

~LTD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

I'd be pretty confident that your idle control valve is just sticking a little.

So before looking to replace expensive parts, buy a can of carb cleaner from your local motor factors and strip back from the air intake until you get to the idle valve (butterfly valve). You'll probably find that it has a sticky buildup on it. Clean it with carb cleaner and all should be good again..

~LTD

I agree with the above post, don't replace parts until you rule out the basics first, clean the air intake, check out under that tape you noticed on the crank sensor wires, check your ignition leads, coil pack's, do you know anyone with vag com to check for codes (some misfire codes don't give engine light if they are intermittent), this could also be a fuel problem.
    If you start throwing parts at this problem it could prove to be expensive.
    Basics first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shasamhails

Thanks lads..just back from a local car dealer/mechanics and they done a diagnostic and the only problem that came up was the oxygen sensor,that was the wire with the tape on it!...i asked the guy was that the reason it was konking out and he said it "probably" was and left it at that...does that seem like the root of the problem to ye??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Thanks lads..just back from a local car dealer/mechanics and they done a diagnostic and the only problem that came up was the oxygen sensor,that was the wire with the tape on it!...i asked the guy was that the reason it was konking out and he said it "probably" was and left it at that...does that seem like the root of the problem to ye??

No. Get the carb cleaner and give the throttle body and butterfly a good cleaning.

Advertisement