Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw golf won't start

Options
  • 28-09-2013 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm absolutely baffled about why my car is being drained of power,wondering would anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
    Sorry about the length of this but have to add every bit of info.

I have a 1.4 golf 2006, bought the car about 4 and a half year ago.
    About 2 years ago this problem first occurred, when I turn on the ignition the dash board light would be either very faint or not be there at all, sometimes when I turn the ignition there would be clicking sounds, as if it were struggling to start up which it wouldn't.
    I went to my own mechanic, he plugged in the diagnostic yoke, couldn't find anything wrong, so he said it's probably the battery, I ended up buying one off him anyway. 2 weeks later same problem. I was well pissed off. Brought it back to look at the alternator, he looked at that, cleaned it, no prob there.

Luckily for me I was living on a hill at the time and could jump start it when I needed, I thought that it might be that I didn't use it that much as I used to cycle to work every second day which was only about 3km away.
    After a few months of jump starting, I went into a vw dealership to get it sorted to get it once and for all fixed.

First they say the radio is drawing power throughout the night, so had to buy a new one. Same thing happens a week later, next they say my parrot hands free is drawing power, so that get taken out, same problem happens 2 weeks later, then they tell me it's the battery to which I reply I only got that that replaced a few months ago and can't be the problem, I ended up getting a new one again. A few weeks later same problem. It was getting embarrassing at this stage, they ended up replacing some ECU I think it was called from another car for free. Thought that would be the end of it but low and behold 4 months later, this morning the same thing happens.

Thanks for reading this far if you've made it down here, So any ideas what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You say a fresh battery lasts two weeks? And then the dim lights and no start occurs?

This makes it sound like the alternator isn't charging the battery properly and the battery eventually doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter.
    Have you measured the output from the alternator? The mech should have done that already.
    www.google.ie/search?q=voltage+from+alternator+to+battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

biko wrote: »
    You say a fresh battery lasts two weeks? And then the dim lights and no start occurs?

This makes it sound like the alternator isn't charging the battery properly and the battery eventually doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter.
    Have you measured the output from the alternator? The mech should have done that already.
    www.google.ie/search?q=voltage+from+alternator+to+battery

Hi Biko, thanks for reply, now that I remember, I went in with the original battery, he tested it and measured it, he said it was a bit low and would charge it overnight for me, when I collected and got in reinstalled the car was ok for another month or so, and when the issue was starting again that's when I got a new battery, the car was without any problems with the new battery for another 2 or 3months as far as I remember now. It was at this time I asked him to look at the alternator which he did and said it's working fine, he said he cleaned it aswell, But it was the same problem occurring.
    I might add that it seemed to me if I left the car sitting in the driveway for over a day and a half it would go flat, where as if I used the car everyday it would start more often than not but not always,I remember once I left the car at Dublin airport for a week and was almost certain it wouldn't start when I got back but to my amazement it started (maybe because I drove from cork and it got a good run so to speak).

I think I'll get the alternator looked at again tho just incase something was missed although I would be surprised as the second crowd I went to said it the car was in perfect shape, looked at everything.first they said it was radio then parrot then battery then airbag I think. My head is hurting just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Hi

Google "VW Golf parasitic drain" as most likely this is your problem. Yours appears to be intermittent so may be difficult to catch in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

What sort of driving do you do? Is it LOTS of short trips? How often would you do a 2 hour drive?

You have something that is draining the battery slowly, maybe a boot light, maybe an alarm, maybe a wire that is supplying something.

Going for a longer trip once a fortnight will allow the battery to fully recharge, assuming you don't have the radio, lights, wipers, heater on during the trip.

Try taking out the fuse for the radio and doing without for a while - see if it improves.

You can get plug in solar chargers, I use mine on a car I only drive once a month - it keeps the battery topped up, despite the various LEDs on alarms and radios.

What sort of driving do you do? Is it LOTS of short trips? How often would you do a 2 hour drive?

You have something that is draining the battery slowly, maybe a boot light, maybe an alarm, maybe a wire that is supplying something.

Going for a longer trip once a fortnight will allow the battery to fully recharge, assuming you don't have the radio, lights, wipers, heater on during the trip.

Try taking out the fuse for the radio and doing without for a while - see if it improves.

You can get plug in solar chargers, I use mine on a car I only drive once a month - it keeps the battery topped up, despite the various LEDs on alarms and radios.

Ya it might seem that's the prob but the vw garage I went into said they plugged it in a number of nights to see what was drawing power, and that's when they first came up with the radio being the prob,then parrot then battery then airbag.
    I might do 2-6 2 hour trips a year. Work was less than 2 km away and every second day I cycled. Tesco was less than a mile away when I needed it.on Friday drove back home 26miles and back on Sunday night, of then it would be flat on the Sunday before I drove back or even on the sat night if I decided to drive 10 miles into town. Would do the odd 5-10 mile trip during the week cinema, 5 a side etc,
    I thought the lack of driving would be a cause so I often gave it a run after work on the days I had cycled ,10 miles or so but the prob persisted.
    Ya Ill look into these solar chargers you speak of and ill try take out the fuse for radio and see what happens.

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote: »
    Hi

Google "VW Golf parasitic drain" as most likely this is your problem. Yours appears to be intermittent so may be difficult to catch in the act.

Possibly but the car was fine for a month after I had the original battery charged.
    Car was fine for another month or so after I had got a new battery.
    Car was fine for another 4 odd months when the vw garage put in that ECU thing I think it was called. I thought it was fixed for good at this stage
    Once the prob restarted at 3 of these times, it started to happen regularly, as in every day and a half or every 24 hours or so.
    Ya I'll look into parasitic draining. I'm not holding out too much hope tho, the lads in the vw garage were saying it was one thing after another all this time and they had plugged it in for a number of nights.
    I went into to get one problem fixed, they identified other unrelated parts of the car that needed repair and replacement timing belt, esp, clutch kit, wishbone,bump stops, ended up paying over 2 grand in the course of 7 odd months with them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

"Car was fine for another 4 odd months when the vw garage put in that ECU thing I think it was called. I thought it was fixed for good at this stage
    Once the prob restarted at 3 of these times, it started to happen regularly, as in every day and a half or every 24 hours or so."

I suspect the garage changed the BSI module, but not a new one from your post.

If it's now happening every couple of days, that would say to me that the drain is now permanent and should not be difficult to track down.

dieselbug wrote: »
    "Car was fine for another 4 odd months when the vw garage put in that ECU thing I think it was called. I thought it was fixed for good at this stage
    Once the prob restarted at 3 of these times, it started to happen regularly, as in every day and a half or every 24 hours or so."

I suspect the garage changed the BSI module, but not a new one from your post.

If it's now happening every couple of days, that would say to me that the drain is now permanent and should not be difficult to track down.

Thanks for the input lads, as yesterday was the first sign of similar sequences before, I will keep an eye on how often it will go flat. Drove up to cork yesterday and back this morning, so drove over 60 odd miles this weekend,I'm going to let the car sit in driveway and see what happens,i would suspect it will be flat if I leave it today and start it tomorrow morning, if this happens at least I'll know it's the same problem as before and off to the mechanic I'll go and talk to him about parasitic draining and what what not,I'll keep ye posted, and thanks again

Right I think I'm going to keep a log of this for a while. Didn't use car yesterday but this morning car started fine, drove a round trip of 80 miles today.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do keep thread updated, it might help someone else with a similar issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

It really sound like alternator, now I know you've had it tested (that would be first suspicion), so bearing in mind alternator is good, I would check all connections between Alternator and Battery... Your new battery lasted 4 months,then you started to have problems 'again', there seems to be a very small problem between Alternator and Battery, so when power eventually drains to a point that car wont start, it only then takes a small amount of drain for your car NOT to start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Get yourself one of those cig-lighter voltmeters.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LED-Car-Battery-Electric-Cigarette-Lighter-Voltmeter-Voltage-Meter-DC-12V-24V-/181152132768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a2d822ea0

If your alternator is working ok, this will read 14-15volts.(engine running)
    12.5-13.5 volts is not charging.
    less than 12.5 v is discharging.
    less than 12.0 is serious.

This will not tell you if you have a bad connection to the battery. I.E. Earth straps

-does anyone know if this car have a permanently live socket ?

whizbang wrote: »
    Get yourself one of those cig-lighter voltmeters.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LED-Car-Battery-Electric-Cigarette-Lighter-Voltmeter-Voltage-Meter-DC-12V-24V-/181152132768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a2d822ea0

If your alternator is working ok, this will read 14-15volts.(engine running)
    12.5-13.5 volts is not charging.
    less than 12.5 v is discharging.
    less than 12.0 is serious.

This will not tell you if you have a bad connection to the battery. I.E. Earth straps

-does anyone know if this car have a permanently live socket ?

Cheers wiz, I have ordered that today,
    Didn't have to use car yesterday or today but car turned on without a problem a while ago, I'm thinking possibly because of the 80 mile round trip the other day. Only time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Parasitic draws are difficult for mechanics to track down as most (not all) just don't understand electrical systems.

You need to find out what current is used in normal standby mode. The receiver for central locking alarm all draw current. A typical standby current is about 50mA your car could be higher or lower than this.

Once the standby current is known a amp meter is placed in series with battery. If the current draw is above normal then each fuse is pulled to discover what circuit the fault is in.

20 miles yesterday
    3 miles today started on both days without a problem

6/10/13 10 miles
    7/10/13 15 miles no problem starting up.

8/10/13 0 miles
    9/10/13 0 miles
    10/10/13 4 miles, no problem starting

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

With the shorter days and the colder temperatures it will give trouble soon, if it is going to ever.

A long day time trip is required, or a solar charger.

11/10/13. 21 miles
    12/10/13. 45 miles
    13/10/13. 10 miles no problems starting.

Well so far so good, I am driving more lately tho compared to before, so that might be post-poning any dead battery that may occur.
    I have ordered one of those cigarette lighter voltmeters and awaiting its arrival, so I'll be keeping tabs on the volt readings each day and I'll put up the readings along with my daily mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Providing your altenator checks out this video explains how to look for whats draining your battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

You can pick up a cheap multimeter in maplin for about 15 quid.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    Providing your altenator checks out this video explains how to look for whats draining your battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

You can pick up a cheap multimeter in maplin for about 15 quid.

Great video alright, nice one inter slice, I'll be picking one of them up I think. I'm not the best at DIY but ill five it a go at some stage

14/10/13 0 miles
    15//10/13 5 miles
    16/10/13 14 miles
    17/10/13 11 miles no problems starting

I'm still awaiting cigerette volt meter.sent fOr it over a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm still awaiting cigerette volt meter. sent fOr it over a week ago.
    From Hong Kong....

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    From Hong Kong....

Ya I've a habit of not checking from what country I buy things from the odd time I buy from eBay. I'll be patient

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It doesn't seem like alternator trouble like some have suggested. If that was the case the battery would of been ran flat ages ago from lack of charge.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem like alternator trouble like some have suggested. If that was the case the battery would of been ran flat ages ago from lack of charge.

I'm not too sure what my first point of call should be, I'm going to dabble with the cigarette voltmeter and see what that comes up with, after that I'll look into getting one of those maplin diagnostic yokes and probably delve into checking fuses myself

Is your car negative/ground cable bolted to the body just below battery? Mine was(2001 Passat) ... It became corroded over the years lying in water because of bunged up plug holes, I was constantly getting 'bad connection'.... Anyway if it is, get a new one from any auto shop and replace to a higher part of the body....

ardle1 wrote: »
    Is your car negative/ground cable bolted to the body just below battery? Mine was(2001 Passat) ... It became corroded over the years lying in water because of bunged up plug holes, I was constantly getting 'bad connection'.... Anyway if it is, get a new one from any auto shop and replace to a higher part of the body....

Nope, no corrosion or any water pooled up anywhere inside bonnet as far as I can see.

Nope, no corrosion or any water pooled up anywhere inside bonnet as far as I can see.

Water does pool and disperse through the bungs, so tomorrow when it's bright check cable and bolt 100%... It will eliminate that 'design flaw'......

• Advertisement

ardle1 wrote: »
    Water does pool and disperse through the bungs, so tomorrow when it's bright check cable and bolt 100%... It will eliminate that 'design flaw'......

Will do ardle, cheers

Advertisement