Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Download regulating software

Options
  • 23-01-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm a student living in a house with 8 others.
    We have a digiweb 100mb/s 30gig limit, now there has been a problem since we've got it with us going over the limit every month and this month the broadband didn't even last a week(file sharing apps)!

I rang up digiweb to see what the story was and they said our upload was 10gigs which was our problem.
    So what i want to do is put an app which has a password which i can setup so that everyone has their fair share of the limit. This would also have to stop the broadband from working once they went over their limit.

Can anyone point me in the direction of software that will help me do this?

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

100mb/s with 30 gb - thats like 40 hours downloading straight maxed...
    ouch !
    They actually seperate upload. hmm.

only software comes close to my mind is dumeter... but that wont limit you atall, it will just record the throughput on a single PC.

turn off the torrents and look into something like rapidshare which you wont have to upload for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I rang digiweb and he said to me that the problem was the uploading!??

I understood that the downloading and uploading was included in the 30gigs. His exact words were "without the uploading then you would still have 10gigs left"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Upload is always included in a bandwidth limit unless specificly stated otherwise.

I'd presume you have more than one computer connected to the internet via a router?

Is the router one which digiweb provided? There could be a possibility that it's a certain make for which there are third party firmwares available.

Third party firmwares can offer far more functionality like QOS and bandwidth trottling. If your router is not upgradable, or is not your property (i.e. rented from digiweb) then you can buy a decent wireless router with 4 port switch for 50 euro.

Linksys routers have lots of free alternative firmwares, only specific models can be flashed with these firmwares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Actually now that you mention it.
    I remember i downloaded some firmware for the router, and heck i think might be able to do it through it! great!

Thanks for jogging my memory!

Advertisement