Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Indicator problem

Options
  • 28-02-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for this problem that I have. Car is a 1979 Citroen DS LH back indicator not working, I put a meter on the bulb socket with the indicator switched on and it flicks merrily away suggesting to me that there should be no problem but stick in the bulb and it aint doing what it should do.(Before anyone asks the bulb is not blown:)) I also cleaned the inside of the bulb holder to ensure good contact. This has me totally stumped so any suggestions would really be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Weird, it sounds like you done everything to make sure power is getting to socket and there is no rust.
    Did you try swapping the working bulb from the other side over?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cregganna

Earth dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I've got caught out before with this kind of fault.What happened is that there is a poor connection in the live.What was happening was there was enough power going through the wire with no load on it (no bulb in) to give a reading of 12 volts, but as soon as the load was on, the connection broke down and no volts.

Its a possibility anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Thanks guys.
    I had a new spare bulb so bulb is not an issue, I was thinking about the earth and was going to try that in the morning. That idea about the live is interesting as I know that the wiring was extended at some stage and bullet connectors were used so that will be next (last) as it is a pig to get at the wires, they are buried behind a trim panel at the side but if it has to be done then it has to be done. Thanks will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Double check the contacts positions in the unit.
    You could very well be getting correct voltage but that's useless if the bulbs contacts aren't meeting the receiving contacts correctly.
    They can bend easily enough and even a cm off will affect it, compare positions to the opposite working side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Thanks all. manouvering room is very limited where the indicator is located so took a decision to bypass the existing wiring. I had a bulb holder with a respectable length of wire so I cut out the existing one fed my wire back into the cabin and used insulated connectors to join back into wiring for live feed and made a new earth. everything now fine:D I pulled out the old wiring and there had been a bit of hacking there in the past which was prob at the root of the problem. Thanks again all

Advertisement