Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Donegal from Scotland....

Options
  • 11-04-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm hoping someone on here can help me, or at least let me pick their brain!!

My husband is Irish and originally from Derry and I am from Scotland. We are both desperate to move to Ireland and to most likely the Donegal area. Ideally one of us will have a job before moving over, but what I wanted to know was. Say for example, I can't get a job - I have lived and worked in Scotland all my life and never been unemployed, if I struggled to find work once we move, would I be entiltled to claim job seekers allowance? If I'm not entitled to jobseekers, are there any benefits we may be entitled too?

Any tips or advice would be a massive help? Hope someone can help.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,843 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this to the State Benefits forum where the regulars there should know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 versace1888

much appreciated Muffler. x

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

In short ye you should have access to all the same state benefits as any Irish citizen as we are all part of the EU.. i made the same move 6 year ago & love it here.. hope yous do too.. all the best! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I'm hoping someone on here can help me, or at least let me pick their brain!!

My husband is Irish and originally from Derry and I am from Scotland. We are both desperate to move to Ireland and to most likely the Donegal area. Ideally one of us will have a job before moving over, but what I wanted to know was. Say for example, I can't get a job - I have lived and worked in Scotland all my life and never been unemployed, if I struggled to find work once we move, would I be entiltled to claim job seekers allowance? If I'm not entitled to jobseekers, are there any benefits we may be entitled too?

Any tips or advice would be a massive help? Hope someone can help.....

You would both have to satisfy the habitual residence conditions. Does your husband hold an Irish passport? Has he ever worked in the Republic?

• Advertisement

Yes, My husband is Irish and has an Irish passport. He only moved to Scotland when he met me 7 years ago. We just feel it would be a better way of life over there for our kids (God willing! We dont actually have kids yet!).

So, he is an Irish citizen but has worked in Scotland for 7 years but I have a UK passport. Do you know how long we would have to be living there before I could claim? I just think its easier finding a job when you're actually living there, so we are keen to move really soon and then look for a job for me, if that makes sense?

Yes, My husband is Irish and has an Irish passport. He only moved to Scotland when he met me 7 years ago. We just feel it would be a better way of life over there for our kids (God willing! We dont actually have kids yet!).

So, he is an Irish citizen but has worked in Scotland for 7 years but I have a UK passport. Do you know how long we would have to be living there before I could claim? I just think its easier finding a job when you're actually living there, so we are keen to move really soon and then look for a job for me, if that makes sense?

Has he ever worked in the Republic?... if the answer is No and all of his family and your family live outside the state then more than likely you centre of interest would not be in the Republic and you would be deemed not habitually resident. On the other hand if one of you get a job in the Republic you can have your contributions from Scotland transferred to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm English, married to an Irishman.

When I moved over, I had to provide proof of residency in the UK, copy of the ferry ticket, marriage cert and proof of address in Ireland. Took a long time, but I did get JSA. To facilitate the claim, I also provided a ref from my last UK employer, copies of my last 3 years P60's and a P45 as well.

Might've been easier, as I married in Ireland. But have to warn you the job market here is TOUGH!! I've had real problems in getting employment here and it's not getting any easier. Perhaps moving close to the border (Donegal) and getting a job in Derry might be the key. The tax situation (working in the UK, but resident in Ireland) might be tricky too. I'm not too well up on that I'm afraid, but someone on the Ulster boards might be able to help. You need to investigate further.

Best of luck with the move! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Read all the links which you have been sent very carefully.

If you get work, then you will be in a good situation but if you don't and are out of work when any Jobseekers Benefit you are entitled to transfer exceeds its allotted time, you will then be faced with claiming Jobseekers Allowance and for that you will have to prove habitual residence here and undergo means testing. That means that any property you have in the UK will be assessed as well. You will need to produce evidence that you have severed all ties in Scotland and that means producing evidence of property sale, end of any renting of property, closure of bank accounts etc. The criteria for qualifying is so tight that, as another poster mentioned, you would need to produce your tickets to Ireland, evidence of moving your belongings etc. And, like you will have to produce evidence of severing ties in Scotland, you will have to produce evidence of setting roots down here including buying or renting a property, opening bank accounts, registering with doctors and generally making connections in the community.

More details here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    In short ye you should have access to all the same state benefits as any Irish citizen as we are all part of the EU.. i made the same move 6 year ago & love it here.. hope yous do too.. all the best! :)

Incorrect... you have to be deemed habitually resident if you are not an Irish National. The common travel area has been done away with since 2007. I am glad you love living in Ireland. Its a great place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Don't know much about the dole but unemployment is seriously high in Letterkenny with few jobs available. Just letting you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

eastbono wrote: »
    Incorrect... you have to be deemed habitually resident if you are not an Irish National. The common travel area has been done away with since 2007. I am glad you love living in Ireland. Its a great place to live.

sorry my mistake i moved here in 2006 & initally had to claim & did so no bother and i hadnt realised it had changed!

thanks for all your replies.

No, my husband has never worked in the Republic. He worked in Derry up until he moved to Scotland 7 years ago.

thanks for all your replies.

No, my husband has never worked in the Republic. He worked in Derry up until he moved to Scotland 7 years ago.

Tbh it is unlikely that either of you will satisfy habitual residence as you have no previous ties or work history in the Republic.

Advertisement