Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get rent allowance with Back To Education Allowance ??

Options
  • 10-04-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I'm 20 and haven't done my Leaving Cert but want to begin it in September.

I have been out of formal education two years so therefore I qualify. My parents would prefer me to move out soon. Most places to rent are 500 a month and I will be getting E720 with BTEA. But then there's bills to pay (gas, electricity, food etc).

I can do a FAS course/look for a menial job I suppose, but I really want to better myself. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

In order to qualify for Rent Supplement, you have to either be renting privately for at least 6 months having been able to afford the rent when the tenancy started and have since suffered a reduction of income OR be approved by the Local Authority as being in need of social housing.

Further details here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html including maximum rents for different areas of the country. You would also have to pay a minimum of €30 pw of the rent yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I thought you couldn't get RA if you were on the BTEA??:confused:Is that right?

I thought you couldn't get RA if you were on the BTEA??:confused:Is that right?

If you were already in receipt of Rent Supplement before going onto BTEA you could retain it. But you may well be correct about not qualifying as a new claimant for it while on BTEA. Others might be able to clarify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Balagan wrote: »
    In order to qualify for Rent Supplement, you have to either be renting privately for at least 6 months having been able to afford the rent when the tenancy started and have since suffered a reduction of income OR be approved by the Local Authority as being in need of social housing.

Further details here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...upplement.html including maximum rents for different areas of the country. You would also have to pay a minimum of €30 pw of the rent yourself.

Firstly, thank you for replying.

- Would that take long?
    - How do you qualify, I mean does one need to be homeless already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No. You need to have been renting privately for six months or more. You also have to be assessed as in need of social housing by the Local Authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

I don't have 2 grand saved up for rent, if only I hadn't bought another year of car insurance and just moved somewhere :( I suppose I could get the money by selling my car until I get the rent allowance but that would be a shame.

Godot. wrote: »
    I don't have 2 grand saved up for rent, if only I hadn't bought another year of car insurance and just moved somewhere :( I suppose I could get the money by selling my car until I get the rent allowance but that would be a shame.

It also wouldn't work as you would not qualify for Rent Supplement by spending your savings - you have to prove that you had income to pay for the tenancy for the 6 months and have suffered a downturn in income since OR be approved by the Local Authority as being in need of social housing. These details and others are in the link http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Yes you can get rent supplement on btea. If you are on job seekers at the moment go to you local housing authority and fill out an assessment form, it dosnt cost anything and all they can say is no. If they find your suitable you don't have to wait the 6 months before getting rent supplement.

Source: I'm on btea and receiving rent supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

No. You need to have been renting privately for six months or more. You also have to be assessed as in need of social housing by the Local Authority.

that's not true. if you're assessed by Local Housing Authority you don't need to be renting for 6 months prior to your application for RS.

Advertisement