Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Supplement

Options
  • 05-04-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm hoping to be claiming the Rent Supplement soon. I am sharing with 2 other people and my share of the rent is €433 a month. Will I be entitled to claim the supplement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

The above link gives the rates for each area but from a quick look at it the maximum rent anyone in shared accommodation can claim up to, is €300 and that is in certain areas of dublin. From that I dont think you will get rent supplement for the property you are currently in. Its a third over the max in dublin and roughly double what the rate is for the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dave10

Just as I figured. Obviously I'll have to get a new place. If I move to a new place can I still get it though? It says that I have to show that I can afford the rent at the start of the tenancy...not sure how this works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

dave10 wrote: »
    Just as I figured. Obviously I'll have to get a new place. If I move to a new place can I still get it though? It says that I have to show that I can afford the rent at the start of the tenancy...not sure how this works!!

You can fill out a form to have your housing needs assessed. From there you can apply for Rent Supplement if you are judged to be "in need".

Being able to afford the rent at the start of tenancy means you were living there and paying the rent for 6 months+ ( i think that's the minimum time period) then something happened that you were unable to continue paying. Then you would be eligible once it's under their threshold of how much they will pay per month depending on where you intend living.

Advertisement