Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Custom computer randomly stops working.. completely. URGENT HELP NEEDED

• 09-01-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Recently I was on my computer, and I was not multitasking or anything. In fact I was replying to a customer on Ebay, when my computer Blue Screened turned off, rebooted, started restoring BIOs automatically and then nothing.

Now when I turn my computer:
    The all fans spin, the ram shows its white running lights but not usage LEDs. The Saitek Keyboard and Logitech mouse niether light up. The monitor knows its plugged in but doesn't do anything and the blue on button flashes.

I rang Gigabyte to ask about the motherboard as the BIOs was mentioned. They said to take a screwdriver or something to my CMOS on my GA-P31-DS3L.

So I removed the ram modules, shorted the CMOS with a jumper, removed the jumper and put a single Ballistix 1GB into the ram slot closest to the CPU.

No progress

This is quite urgent as the computer is quite important.. I am quite worried too :(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

anybody????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

I really hate saying this but there's a number of things that could have gone wrong but I'd say it was your harddrive. The reason I'm guessing this is because everything is turning on. Check if the hard drive is spinning and let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,462 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

requiem1 wrote: »
    I really hate saying this but there's a number of things that could have gone wrong but I'd say it was your harddrive. The reason I'm guessing this is because everything is turning on. Check if the hard drive is spinning and let us know.

If it was his hard drive he'd still have a picture on his monitor.
    More than likely it's the board since it attempted to restore the board bios.
    Try disconnecting all hardware and reconnecting.
    There's really no fast way of fixing this. It's trial and error to see what part is actually causing the issue.
    I know it's not what you want to hear.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Either the motherboard or the PSU.

As matthew said, try disconnecting and reconnecting everything, to rule out the magical mystery bug. This works for me about 75% of the time.

If that doesn't do it, test the PSU in another computer. If it works, then you probably need a new motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Could be a graphics card problem either. Go into your BIOS and check your hardware monitor if there is one.

And as said above, remove everything and plug it in one by one to see what's up. If you've got alternative parts you can swap out, swap out one part at a time and see what's going on.

• Advertisement

By the sounds of it, it doesn't look like the OP can even get into the BIOS...
    Maybe I'm wrong, it's like it is stuck on the POST and the BIOS is corrupt, I could be wrong...

Is there a Bios recovery jumper?

I know it sounds crazy, though maybe take out the CMOS battery, leave it for an hour or so, and place back and check..
    It worked for me on a board before.

Hope you get it sorted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

I tried everything. mobo is problem. thanks

Advertisement