Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting NAS box directly to PC?

• 23-01-2009 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've just bought a Lacie 1TB Network Space which has gigabit ethernet.
    My Pc also has a gigabit ethernet card, but my router is only fast ethernet which is slowing things down immensely.

My maths may be wrong but at approx 10 - 11 minutes to transfer 1 GB (which it is currently taking), it will take approx 160 hours to fill it.
    (1000gbs / 6gbs per hour = 168+ hours....i think!!!:D ).

Does anyone know whether it is possible to plug the nas box into the gigabit port on the pc to speed this up(by using the gigabit functionality) or can this only be done through the router?

(I read something about a "crossover" cable? but didn't know what this meant).

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

You can plug it right in using a straight cable - Auto MDI/MDIX is part of the gigabit standard so one side will do an automatic crossover for you. You could also use a crossover cable if all 4 pairs are crossed (some crossover cables only cross the two pairs needed for 10/100).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Snowbat wrote: »
    You can plug it right in using a straight cable - Auto MDI/MDIX is part of the gigabit standard so one side will do an automatic crossover for you. You could also use a crossover cable if all 4 pairs are crossed (some crossover cables only cross the two pairs needed for 10/100).

Hi,
    I've plugged in the Lacie 1tb gigabit nas drive and it shows as being 1 gigabit but says it has "limited or no connectivity" - meaning its not displaying at all.

I've tried using the lacie software but it has to recognise that its connected before it can do anything about it.

Any ideas on how to get it to connect into the pc?

Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Well if you're not connecting to a router, then chances are you don't have any DHCP server running anywhere.

You need to either
    a) set a static IP on both the NAS and the PC (Try 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0 for subnet)
    b) setup a DHCP server on your PC (google for a free one, there are tonnes)

Advertisement