Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't know what to do with my life!

• 11-01-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well folks, the problem is basically the same as the title. I am a 26yr old male and I haven't a clue what to do with my life. I graduated from college a few years ago with an arts degree and since then have been working in menial low paid jobs while trying to think of what to do next.

At this stage its just getting ridiculous because I just genuinely don't know what to do! I have been with my girlfriend for six years now and we have been living together for three. She's recently finished college(doing accountancy) and is all set up in her career working towards professional exams which are being paid for by the company that she is working for.
    She is totally supportive of me, which is great and all, but I am terrified at the thought of being stuck in a menial job forever.

Basically I am just very very bored and the job is killing me. I would leave it in a second if I knew what I wanted to do but I don't. While I have lots of interests, I just haven't figured out yet what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

At the moment I just want to scream and run away as far as I can, just to be doing something. But I can't, because I love my girlfriend very much and don't want to leave her.

So what the hell do I do? All of my friends are in a similar position to my girlfriend, either set up in jobs or working their way towards them. My degree qualifies me for nothing and so I'm stuck in rubbish job earning little more than I did when I was 18.

Has anyone else ever been in the same position? What did you do?

thanks guys. I'm a desperate man here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Well folks, the problem is basically the same as the title. I am a 26yr old male and I haven't a clue what to do with my life. I graduated from college a few years ago with an arts degree and since then have been working in menial low paid jobs while trying to think of what to do next.

At this stage its just getting ridiculous because I just genuinely don't know what to do! I have been with my girlfriend for six years now and we have been living together for three. She's recently finished college(doing accountancy) and is all set up in her career working towards professional exams which are being paid for by the company that she is working for.
    She is totally supportive of me, which is great and all, but I am terrified at the thought of being stuck in a menial job forever.

Basically I am just very very bored and the job is killing me. I would leave it in a second if I knew what I wanted to do but I don't. While I have lots of interests, I just haven't figured out yet what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

At the moment I just want to scream and run away as far as I can, just to be doing something. But I can't, because I love my girlfriend very much and don't want to leave her.

So what the hell do I do? All of my friends are in a similar position to my girlfriend, either set up in jobs or working their way towards them. My degree qualifies me for nothing and so I'm stuck in rubbish job earning little more than I did when I was 18.

Has anyone else ever been in the same position? What did you do?

thanks guys. I'm a desperate man here!

lol same position dude

im just qualified with a music degree. im 21. work in a callcentre in an admin position. do nothing all day and get paid for it. id rather do a job for less in a place i enjoyed working and something that had something to do with my career...

having said that, im content for now but i know what i want and where i want to go, even if it might not happen

you need to look at your life and find out what your dream job is. no matter what it is - if its start your own company, selling potatoes on the side of the road, making rude shaped cakes etc.

Once you've found out what your dream job is, get up and go. set out your goals for where you want to be in 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year etc. and be very specific. I have a drawing board above my desk at home, and everything I've written down on a list of thing I want, I've got so far

When you write it down and look at it every day you're more likely to do it and work towards it. I find that when you stick things on the ceiling above your bed, you see it when you wake up and its in your head first thing in the morning, and therefore you're constantly thinking of it and how you can get it.

The hardest part is to find out what you want to do. Once you know what it is you want, you're half way there. Look at what makes you happy when you're doing it and think about how you could make money out of it. Some of the most interesting and successful people in the world haven't known what they've wanted to do until a fair age.

I would advise reading "screw it lets do it" by Richard Branson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What colour is your parachute?=
    Really useful book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

All you need is direction, a good career guidance counsellor will match your skills and interests and basically give you an idea of what your options are. Most secondary schools, uni's have them and will see you private for a small fee.

My brother went along last summer was the kick in the arse he needed and is now happy out in the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Why not consider going back and getting another qualification part-time? Or seeking training within your current job? Or pursuing a promotion of some kind? What exactly was the title of your degree? (i.e. what did you study?) Are there any postgraduate qualifications you might pursue relevant to it?

There's a bunch of options open to you OP, go do some browing online, check out jobs directories, ffs at this stage you must have what 4/5 years of experience as well as your degree? You're at a time when a lot of people start feeling "Right I've done enough pissing about, time to actuall invest myself in something for the future".

This is your time, there's nothing else to be worried about here.

Advertisement