Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody ever driven a Subaru Legacy?

Options
  • 13-08-2007 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Does anyone have any tips/info on the Subaru Legacy? I'm looking at the 3rd Generation (B4 RSK Twin Turbo) to be exact.

How are they on fuel consumption? Are they reliable given due care & attention?

What should I look out for?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

http://www.isdc.ie - check out that website for all your needs

there pretty heavy on the juice, they are a twin turbo after all, they need alot of due care and attention there designed to run on very high ron petrol so they can detonate using our **** 95ron petrol, you will need to use octane booster to help with it so add about 6 - 8 euro to the cost of a tank of petrol. a remap can be done on the 01+ model but I heard it cant be done pre 01 and the remap is expensive around €1100.

as i said check out the website for more info on them or if your on http://driver.ie ask a member called dagnut about them, he drives one and is very hepfull with info.

lovely cars if you can afford to run one by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Thanks alot for the info! I've just read Dagnuts' reply to another member on driver.ie. He seems to know his stuff;)

I wonder would a B4 (non-RSK) be more practical?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

heres the specs - http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/subaru/legacy_b4/2000_5/28461/

only 155ps in a heavy car doesnt sound too great, i'm sure it would be much more practical though, dont know anymore about them though and they seem rare?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Just out of interest what would be the main things about hte legacy you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Had a 01 rsk b4 for 2 years. sold it last month after a so called main dealers in nr county dublin made an awful balls of repairing a blown head gasket.I could go into great detail about it but to be honest, im still very sore about it.One of these days i will post what happened on boards

As for the car itself, brilliant !
    No probs at all for 60,000km.Needs a service every 15k without fail.No exceptions !
    Eats through brakes and tires so there is a lot to consider with running costs. At the time i had mine, 65 euro filled the tank and got you on average 420km.
    Not good, if you drive it hard and get the second turbo spinning, it's about half that.Best car i ever had and what happened with the garage would not put me off buying another.Sometimes you learn the hard way !!!:(

• Advertisement

rowanh wrote:
    Just out of interest what would be the main things about hte legacy you like?

I like the 'wolf in sheeps' clothing' element to them to be honest! Plus it's a saloon which is good for the practical side of things. I think they look damn good too;)
    Had a 01 rsk b4 for 2 years. sold it last month after a so called main dealers in nr county dublin made an awful balls of repairing a blown head gasket.I could go into great detail about it but to be honest, im still very sore about it.One of these days i will post what happened on boards

As for the car itself, brilliant !
    No probs at all for 60,000km.Needs a service every 15k without fail.No exceptions !
    Eats through brakes and tires so there is a lot to consider with running costs. At the time i had mine, 65 euro filled the tank and got you on average 420km.
    Not good, if you drive it hard and get the second turbo spinning, it's about half that.Best car i ever had and what happened with the garage would not put me off buying another.Sometimes you learn the hard way !!!:(

Interesting reply, I'm most grateful for it too, coming from somebody who has actually driven the particular model I'd be looking for. Would love to hear the full story on that blown head gasket though! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it to repair?

What was on the clock when you got yours? Did you import yourself from an auction? Did you get it remapped for our 95 Ron?

The regular service every 15K is a little off-putting, is it just oil & filter or plugs aswell (and whatever else)? Not to mention the brakes & tyres as you mentioned.:eek:

And I have to admit, the temptation not to have that second turbo spinning would be a little too strong for me! (Ahem)!:D

What other cars have you had?

Thanks for replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

As you say "wolf in sheeps clothing" sums it up ! It's a great car.Great make. Im a big fan of the scoobies !!
    As regads the head gasket. Not much change from 2,500 im afraid.
    Madness you say ! I agree !
    I bought the car through a garage who had brought it in from Japan. 40,000km on the clock. Mint throughout.
    Oil and filter should be done on each service,combined with a once over of all other fluids. Coolent,transmission,brakes etc.
    I did'nt get it remapped.Not my cup of tea to do that.If it aint broke, dont fix it. 280BHP was more than enough for me.Leave that messin for the diesel brigade and scroats in there glanzas and the like.It was completly standard.
    Only thing i did'nt like was the blacked out windows.Tried to remove the film, turns out the glass is tinted.If you get one,be sure to let it heat up fully before getting too excited.Also,let run for 2 minutes before turning it off to prevent damaging the turbos !!
    Dont really want to get into the ins and outs of the story with the garage.Let's just say the garage were useless.Charging 100 euro an hour for a bunch of apprentices to make a ball's of me lovely car.Just to repeat,it was the garage i had the problem with,not the car.
    Best of luck if you do get one.
    Keep it between the ditches !;)

Thanks once again for the reply on the Legacy, I'm beginning to see where you may have gotten your username from.;)

I would have thought a remap is essential though (not for extra bhp), considering the car is made to run on 102 Ron (in Japan), otherwise the car suffers from major detonation and the ecu will go into safe mode to prevent the knock? Or were you using an octane booster with each fill of the tank?

I would also be looking for one with a turbo timer installed to protect that beauty of an engine for me!

I'm gonna have to take a test drive soon.

Right, I'm actually itching for an RSK now!:D

Advertisement