Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blind spots on New Honda Civic

Options
  • 13-08-2007 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭

Spoke to a Honda Civic owner and she said it was a really bad car.

Huge blind spots at the rear
    No back screen wipers

Def not gettng one now. They are really pricey too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,012 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

my mate got one, and absolutely loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Rather than "Def not gettng one now" based upon the opinion of one person, would you not go out and test drive one yourself?

Maybe do some research into other cars you are interested in, compare prices and specs, read some reviews as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

worded wrote:

How does that work then :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

New astra also has massive blind spots.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭worded

They are highly recommended mechanically - but the rear blind spot looks so so bad from the outside. I read that car manufacturer make the four bars joining the roof as strong as possible to test well against competitors in drop tests. This way they are proven to be "safe" to the occupants - but lethal for cyclists and pedestrians as extra wide supports = bigger blind spots.

Might consider a tester though.

So many models / brands to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Avensis has such bad blind spots that my mother has reversed into traffic cones and even a motorbike without being able to see anything.

(the motorbike was left standing in the middle of a forecourt, and strangely enough the owner refused to take any compensation for a dented fuel tank due to his own stupidity in where he left his bike... how often do you meet those people???)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

worded wrote:
    Spoke to a Honda Civic owner and she said it was a really bad car.

No back screen wipers

Def not gettng one now. They are really pricey too.

I wouldn't consider a bit of a blind spot when reversing enough to damn it as 'a really bad car':rolleyes:

I think Top Gear mag mentions this weakness also but I didn't find it a big deal when I drove a Civic.
    maidhc wrote:
    The Avensis has such bad blind spots that my mother has reversed into traffic cones and even a motorbike without being able to see anything.

Yeah, any biggish saloon will have a problem in this regard...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

pburns wrote:
    Yeah, any biggish saloon will have a problem in this regard...

Cars are getting worse though. The 1990's S-Class has a better view, while the Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo had a excellent view.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I bought a new civic about 2 months ago and I love it. Its fully loaded, looks great and the 1.8 litre i-vtec engine is great fun. The 1.4 would be probably quite boring but near-diesel like in economy.

The c-pillars are quite thick but you could just use the mirrors which are quite large! Sure rear visibility isn't as good as some other cars, but its not a big deal for me. I haven't reversed into anything or killed anybody, but I'm used to having poor visibility at the back since my last car was a coupe. You could always fit parking sensors if you're afraid of damaging it when reversing.

The lack of a rear wiper is not an issue. The aerodynamics of the car make the rain run off it, and the vertical lower bit of the window below the spoiler has some kind of coating on it that causes water to bead off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't discount a car based on someone else's opinion. Test drive it yourself and see.

Most new cars these days have these blind spots as the pillars are re-enforced and have air bags. Also most saloons don't have rear windscreen wipers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bazz26 is indeed right - the Civic has rear curtain airbags in the c-pillars. Maybe their thickness has something to do with giving the glass-roofed models more strength in a roll?

Advertisement