Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Murtman

Hey guys. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Anyone on here using zwift through an iPad? Is it possible? Can't get my hands on a laptop for love nor money in my house...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Murtman wrote: »
    Hey guys. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Anyone on here using zwift through an iPad? Is it possible? Can't get my hands on a laptop for love nor money in my house...

Not possible. Zwift needs a lot of horsepower. The iOS app is just to supplement the desktop app

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lenny started this thread and will be riding a stationery bike while racing daffy duck instead of racing in the mud at tollymore....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RobFowl is gone quackers!!

Been using it a bit recently. good way to break up the boredom of the turbo when you don't have the time to get out in the real world. Must look at organising a boards spin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

lennymc wrote: »
    RobFowl is gone quackers!!

Been using it a bit recently. good way to break up the boredom of the turbo when you don't have the time to get out in the real world. Must look at organising a boards spin.....
    Boards spin would be great. I think also if there were enough of us, we might be able to get the Boards jersey added as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

OK so this seems interesting and the trainers bore the hell out of me so where is the best place to get the Dongle. I have the Trainers and a Garmin 800 so is there anything else other then the dongle that i need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

OK so this seems interesting and the trainers bore the hell out of me so where is the best place to get the Dongle. I have the Trainers and a Garmin 800 so is there anything else other then the dongle that i need?

You will need a speed and cadence sensor and optional are a heart rate monitor and a power meter, although zwift does an estimated power reading, based on other data if you don't have a power meter. Once you pair all of these up select your workout programme and away you go. There is also a mobile app for your smartphone but it depends on how much of a number cruncher you are. If you have a full strava paid account you qualify for 60 free days of zwift so check that out. If you go to you tube there are plenty info and set up tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

One of these will do the trick. I got one a while back and it works perfectly and is much cheaper than the Garmin one. You might need also to think about how close your computer is to the trainer or sensors. Basically, the job of the dongle is to pick up the ANT+ signals from your bike sensors and transmit them to the game, on your computer. I think the range of ANT+ is quite short, something like 5 metres, so if you have the computer (the dongle) too far away from the sensors, it might drop in and out. I usually leave my laptop close to the trainer (which has the sensors, a smart trainer) and plug it into a monitor to watch the game on, and use my mobile as the game controller. If you can't do something like this, then you'll need a decent length usb extension cable (about 5 metres should be grand) with male and female ends.

In terms of sensors you need, it depends on other equipment. I have a Tacx Vortex smart trainer, and it has speed and cadence built in so no need for sensors. It also functions as a power meter, so no need for one of those either. If you just have a basic trainer, then you have to have speed and cadence sensors (the old Garmin combo sensor works fine as well). No need for a Garmin, you can use your phone (Android or iOS) to show data, and control the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭irish_bhoy82

Hi Guys

Like a lot on here I am thinking of trying out zwift. I have an entry level turbo trainer I got on offer from Halfords, Elite Volare Mag Cycle. I was just wondering if all I needed apart from obviously a laptop and the software is some Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors like these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Bike-Speed-Cadence-Sensor/dp/B00JM6DKUA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452920244&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=garmin+ant%2B+dongle

and a ANT+ dongle like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anself-Compatible-Garmin-Forerunner-011-02209-00/dp/B00LIIMHP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452366719&sr=8-1&keywords=ant%2B+stick

Would I also need to purchase a Garmin Computer or would zwift just pair up using the Dongle? I dont really want to purchase a Garmin Computer at the moment.

Any advise much appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Hi Guys

Like a lot on here I am thinking of trying out zwift. I have an entry level turbo trainer I got on offer from Halfords, Elite Volare Mag Cycle. I was just wondering if all I needed apart from obviously a laptop and the software is some Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors like these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Bike-Speed-Cadence-Sensor/dp/B00JM6DKUA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452920244&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=garmin+ant%2B+dongle

and a ANT+ dongle like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anself-Compatible-Garmin-Forerunner-011-02209-00/dp/B00LIIMHP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452366719&sr=8-1&keywords=ant%2B+stick

Would I also need to purchase a Garmin Computer or would zwift just pair up using the Dongle? I dont really want to purchase a Garmin Computer at the moment.

Any advise much appreciated thanks

Once you have the sensors , ant + you are good to go, I would recommend buying a Garmin HRM too , is your turbo on the zwift approve list ?
    No need for a Garmin computer only that it would b nice to have for on the rad with your new sensors.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jamesd

Yes it does appear so, right so need to save up a little to get those couple of bits, and try and borrow the laptop off the wife...

I will probably get a Garmin Computer a little further down the road.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cromcruach

Not Zwift related but just a word of warning about the Elite trainer. I assume it's the black and red one with five adjustable levels - neither Halfords nor Elite are super accurate with naming. I was using this with TrainerRoad and the power curve for the device was way off. The initial FTP test gave me 160W, which seemed low. When I replaced it with a Tacx Vortex I got a result of 240W within the same month.

I think the Elite is consistent, so it's just a number showing your effort level. If Zwift's power curves are from the same source as TrainerRoad though I would take the number with a big big pinch of salt!

cromcruach wrote: »
    The initial FTP test gave me 160W, which seemed low. When I replaced it with a Tacx Vortex I got a result of 240W within the same month.

Tacx vortex will give v high results also (+20%) unless you do the run down test / calibration after a warm up (5-10mins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thanks Jamesd

Yes it does appear so, right so need to save up a little to get those couple of bits, and try and borrow the laptop off the wife...

I will probably get a Garmin Computer a little further down the road.

Thanks again

I would see if the software runs first on the laptop before buying anything, it requires a decent spec pc to run it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I would see if the software runs first on the laptop before buying anything, it requires a decent spec pc to run it.

Not really.
    I'm running it on a 11" intel pentium powered notebook and it works fine.
    Maybe not as slick so a more powerful laptop but perfectly acceptable.

Thanks Guys

Im not going to rush into to getting all the gear for a while yet. My cheap Bike Computer has gone wallop in the past week anyway so I will need to get a new one or upgrade to a better version soon enough anyway.

Ive heard from a guy in my cycling club say that you really need a power meter to get the most out of zwift so that has put me off it for the moment. For the time being i think I will stick with doing structured turbo sessions.

Thanks

Thanks Guys

Im not going to rush into to getting all the gear for a while yet. My cheap Bike Computer has gone wallop in the past week anyway so I will need to get a new one or upgrade to a better version soon enough anyway.

Ive heard from a guy in my cycling club say that you really need a power meter to get the most out of zwift so that has put me off it for the moment. For the time being i think I will stick with doing structured turbo sessions.

Thanks

Thanks

I would say you need a smart turbo rather than powermeter to get the best out of Zwift so it changes the resistance be it doing free ride or workout (ERG mode). Tacx Vortex can be got for approx 300e, you are looking at double that for a powermeter. Tacx Vortex is a smart turbo so has a brake unit to change the resistance and it also reports the power back (its within 5% of my powermeter) again its calculated as doesn't have a strain gauge but allot more accurate than a dumb turbo.

If you have a "dumb" turbo that they support then they have the resistance profile so can calculate the power you are putting out. Not exactly accurate but it is close.

few irish flags on zwift this evening - anyone on here?

Yes me and my buddy were on setting up his Tacx

• Advertisement

whats yisser user names? I'm l.mc

D Daly and JamesD PortumnaCC are our usernames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

My ANT+ usb thingy arrived today. So depending on wifi coverage to the shed I might get Zwifting later!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 eoinmorris

lennymc wrote: »
    whats yisser user names? I'm l.mc

I was on too... I've gone with the cryptic / creative user name of "Eoin Morris", no way anyone is figuring out who I am....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

Useful calendar for times of organised group rides in Zwift http://teamup.com/ks4861763bd63ce3d8/

Well got my purchase santioned by the wife, once i said the Bike Computer was broken, and i explained how much it was going to be and how i wasnt sure yet its very expensive and she mentioned 'sure you may as well just get it now instead of buying a cheap thing and then buying it later anyway'. Well I didnt answer back I just clicked on checkout and the rest is history.

So I ordered a Garmin Edge 25, with Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensors, Garmin HRM and a ANT+ USB Dongle(I didnt mention the last 2 to the wife).

So should have them at the end of the week, I will use them anyway when Im on the road, Ill try out zwift for the free trial and if its not working out I just wont subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Needs Oculus Rift/Google Cardboard support ASAP.

A few Irish on tonight too, I intend to be on Tuesday's from 8pm to 9pm or so for an hour / 30km.
    Got my buddy to purchase a tacx smart too so have them both setup together.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Does any ant+ stick work as there seems to be quite a price difference between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Leroy42 wrote:
    Does any ant+ stick work as there seems to be quite a price difference between them.

Think so.

Advertisement