Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First of the old - vintage weekend in Conamara- 28/29 March

Options
  • 06-01-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi all,

This may be a good year for vintage bikes, hand-washed wool jerseys, cloth caps and toe-clips. Hopefully it'll be an even better one for vintage cyclists following the enthusiasm for the Giro Expo, Giro vintage spin and Laochra na Laoise in Ireland as well as those who travelled to L'Eroica Britannia and Italia in 2014.

I've been thinking that it would be great to create 5 spins this year in the tradition of the monuments. So let's begin with the first of the old: Yarisbob has planned the first event for Conamara on the weekend of the 28/29 March - not too long away. This will be the Milan San Remo of our year, except that in this event the cyclists have a sleep over in San Remo (or Clifden)!

Yarisbob has done the route and research, DaithíBC and I have cut the distance, all YOU have to do is express your interest here. We need this particularly for this event as we have to confirm accommodation etc. The proposed route begins and ends at Maam Cross and on day 1 skirts 50 miles of north Conamara concluding in Clifden, then South for 35 miles the following day. Such is our fabulous road network there is even an easy opt-out for anyone who desires or requires same, or indeed more miles are possible too.

16213060285_caf082521f.jpg

We are encouraging people to make their best effort to get out their vintage bike and gear (and to post pics here). The rule of thumb is pre 1987 steel bikes with non-aero brakes, friction gear levers and toe clips. The exceptions are Vitus/Alan duralinox frames and first generation look pedals. The spirit is inclusive, so no worries if your bike is a little younger and a woollen jersey is always a good place to start if the right bike hasn't turned up yet. We've never done prizes, but I'd love if someone turned up on this:

14849873497_5603b85bc9.jpg

As with the previous spins this is a gathering of like minded cyclists, not a formal event. No fees apply, but cover your own costs. A decent level of club cycling fitness is required for a 2 day event. Good weather is not essential but is a plus!

So, once again, please record your interest and any questions or clarifications here. If you're reading this far down you'll also be interested in our nascent website www.oldvelos.com

Now, where to hold our Paris - Roubaix?!

Happy cycling for 2015,

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Very interested.
    I would prefer a longer spin on the Sunday, it would make the drive from Drogheda, more worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Thanks for that Brendan

My original plan was for about 140k each day but sense and lack of fitness prevailed !!

Plan is to meet up at Maam Cross. I might have a classic car owning friend talked into taking our gear up to Clifden. Its a Volvo 240 Estate (Just like the Molteni Team car from 1975) so plenty of room - Hopefully he comes good !

That aside we will ride the coast road and stop up at Roundstone and perhaps the Alcock and Brown memorial outside Ballyconneely

The overnight will be in The Station House Hotel in Clifden where B+B and 3 course Evening meal is €65 pps. Bikes will be locked up snug. Our club stayed there last October and we were treated like Kings.

On the second day we will go visit Kylemore Abbey and stop in Joe Kanes of Maam. You just have to tip up the Maam Valley and back or we can go on by Cong and Headford if you want a longer spin.

As Brendan said there is no entry fee and this is not a formal event so just bring enough to see the hotel, a few quid as a token for the driver, beer tokens and of course a bit of craic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Must check that the dates don't clash with work. Seeing that there's a special exception for Vitus/Alan duralinox frames I might bring along the KAS replica.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Yarisbob wrote: »
    The overnight will be in The Station House Hotel in Clifden where B+B and 3 course Evening meal is €65 pps. Bikes will be locked up snug. Our club stayed there last October and we were treated like Kings.

I can second this hotel, was touring last year and decided to treat myself to a night away from my tent here (it was pissing down and they had a jacuzzi), couldn't have been nicer, bike and disheveled rider both excellently cared for! If I can get the time out of work I'd be well tempted to join ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I cycled a lot of these roads in the Tour de Connemara last year. You couldn't get a nicer or more scenic route. Hilly enough to be challenging, but not overly difficult.

I hope to be there if work allows. It's right in the middle of spring barley sowing so hopefully there's plenty of dry weather for a few weeks beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Benotto

Count me in, looking forward to it.
    Gerard

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dinoboy

Count me in also. Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

I'll be there!!

Brendan, you know what a Peugeotphile I am so if you can get me that Peugeot Tour de France in the photo I'd be more than happy to ride it..ah we can dream!
    I was thinking about making a trophy and awarding it to the best bike, or outfit or combo. It would be just an informal thing voted for by the participants on the ride, maybe in the hotel that night?? what do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lads for a longer spin on Sunday you can head round Lough na Fooey to Clonbur , Cornamona and back to Maam. Have your pint and then back over the hill to Maamcross.
    M7ght try to get a steed for this one of the days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Ok I'm in. Dates don't clash with work.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Count me in. Can't wait for the headwind.

happytramp wrote: »
    Count me in. Can't wait for the headwind.

Ah yes, Connemara - geologically set up so that whichever way you're cycling, it's into a headwind.

Right Lads
    This is a peliminary listing of the poor souls who will brave the winds of the wild west.

Definately
    Yarisbob
    Brendan Hennessey
    Daithi BC
    Eamonnator
    The tax man
    Benotto x 2rms
    Dinoboy
    Sarge10
    Happytramp

Maybe
    SomeFool
    Esroh

Now this is not the definative list as boys will join and drop off. Theres plenty of space if anybody else wants to join in. The pace will be fairly calm.

I am investigating a sort of a 1 mile TT where you are not allowed any timing devices. The winner is the person that guesses closest to his actual time - In other words a bit of craic.... ;)

Looks good. I'm afraid I'm on the maybe list for now - depends on work if I'm available or not.

If I am, I was thinking of parking in Oughterard and cycling out to Maam Cross. Is there anywhere there to leave a car over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Cheers Lads,

I'm always amused by Boards pseudonyms - feel like I'm joining the reservoir dogs cycling weekend!

Yaris, the Tóin na Gaoith (oldvelos.com) lads are good to go to. I'll get you the details.

DBC, yep I was thinking something similar about parking, maybe checking in with the Guards locally to ask their advice and or if they could keep an eye on cars.

Sarge, not sure if your award for best on show got a response. I think it's great idea especially if done by popular vote!

All, I love Yaris's idea of a TT. I'm a fan of hill climbs also. Any chance of combining the two?

Could anybody notify the Dublin vets group (not the animal kind!) of the spin as that might increase numbers.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slatanic

Unfortunately it clashes with the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge on the Saturday (I think) So if possible I might fall in on the Sunday. There are some great roads up there.

Thanks,
    Shane Courtney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bjorn Turun

We are hoping to have a group for the Connemara event, will have a head count shortly.

I will be travelling down from Drogheda. I will have room for one body and one bike, if anybody wants a lift.
    I am prepared to detour, within reason.

slatanic wrote: »
    Unfortunately it clashes with the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge on the Saurday

Fortunately it clashes with the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge Nuff Said :D

I have 15 definate places with the hotel with outside max of 25 if need be. We will work out who sleeps where at a later date..

Daithi BC's idea of parking up in Oughterard is good but we will have to ride the 10 or so miles to Maam Cross to start. Plenty of parking at the community centre.

As usual it sall up in teh air at the minute but I'll get it sorted soon !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Deadon

Hi to all ,just got to this thread now, I'll know by this Sunday how we are fixed ,the carlton bike has been sold since Laois ,Harry hall is still chucking away ,but I have a couple of other old bikes I can lend out to my buddy's ,brendan I still can't post pictures up on this ,so if you pm me your email I'll send a couple of snaps you may like to post for me ? Hope it's not extremely hilly course ,and hopefully the dates suit us ,,really enjoyed the last spin ...Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jitterbug1974

Hello All
    Fair play to you Yarisbob for getting this off the ground! Don't think I'll be able to make it(till be a late call if I can go) but hoping to catch up with ye all later on in the year.

Enjoy...............

Barry

What time will we be starting on Saturday?

Hi all,

Eamon it's at least a 3 hour rive from Cork, probably similar for yourself. Yaris what had you in mind? Any suggestions?

Barry, hope you can make it in the end.

Brendan

If it's going to be an early start, I might go down on Friday evening.
    AA is telling me, that it's 3hours 20minutes from Drogheda.

AA might want a word with us all on Sunday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deadon

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Right Lads
    This is a peliminary listing of the poor souls who will brave the winds of the wild west.

Definately
    Yarisbob
    Brendan Hennessey
    Daithi BC
    Eamonnator
    The tax man
    Benotto x 2rms
    Dinoboy
    Sarge10
    Happytramp

Maybe
    SomeFool
    Esroh

Now this is not the definative list as boys will join and drop off. Theres plenty of space if anybody else wants to join in. The pace will be fairly calm.

I am investigating a sort of a 1 mile TT where you are not allowed any timing devices. The winner is the person that guesses closest to his actual time - In other words a bit of craic.... ;)

Hi yarisbob,We're ok for those dates ,looking forward to meeting up again ,if you could post a rough idea of start time it would be great ..deadon x 2

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭The Ging and I

I can not make this event, but I have just sent a pre entry to l'eroica in Italy.
    Might be able to do the Spanish one but no details yet.

Howya lads Sorry I haven't been on here in the last while A stork landed with us and brought us a wee boy It's busy here with the 2 1/2 year old as well ! All Aptaml & Sudocream ! Feeding burpin & nappies & that's just me !

Now lads we will be riding out from Oughterard after 9am . I will ride from Galway NUIG about 8m ! That's 3 start locations and 3 finishes to choose from ! I want to finish up the days at no later than 4pm ! There is loads of secure parking in both Galway & Oughterard

I'm using wife's phone for the net & it's painful !

• Advertisement

Congratulations YB and Mrs YB - busy times ahead!

9am in Oughterard sounds good. If I'm there, I'll be driving over in the morning.

Advertisement